Author Topic: XD 12 speed cassette options  (Read 949 times)

ForMartha

XD 12 speed cassette options
« on: January 27, 2024, 11:15:23 AM »
Heya,

I own a GX cassette and I'm into replacing it with a lighter option. Garbaruk makes sick cassettes, but it's pricey and I'm not willing to pay it.
Any AliExpress model which you recommend? A friend of mine vouch for the SunShine light weight option, but I haven't read anything about it, so I'm here to ask.

Cheers,
M

TribesMan

Re: XD 12 speed cassette options
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 02:32:30 PM »
ZTTO 12s 9-50 feels nice... did not do many miles on it... but so far no complaints.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000095191588.html

mirphak

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 09:11:58 AM »
There are 10-51 casettes now (for both 12s and also 11s !!!) with the shimano distribution (51t jumps to 45t instead of 42t) but XD hub.

The two I have (on the full suspension and the gravel) work flawlessly with a GX AXS, but they are pricey unless you buy them on sales (they dropped to around 75 bucks in the 11/11).

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005005746046046.html

Crash217

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 08:38:07 AM »
I should have a SPEDAO cassette in my hands today or tomorrow and be riding on it over the weekend.  I'm using a WheelTop EDS OX  derailleur.

http://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804696644636.html

SPEDAO 12s cassette
Model : WSD-8012-1050-A1
10-50T
12 speed: 10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42-50T
Weight: approx. approximately 398g
12 speed compatible with XD freehubs

I've had good luck in the past with SunRace and Sunshine on my gravel and MTBs but wanted to try something different this time around and the SPEDAO seemed to have a decent amount of positives said about it around the internet.

UPDATE— I received the cassette and chain today.  Super scientific hand weighing against the SRAM XG1299 cassette it’s replacing makes  the 50g difference feel nonexistent.

Slapped the cassette on, cut the chain (I stripped and waxed the fancy looking lightweight hollow chain it arrived with) and spun it through the gears.  The WheelTop EDS didn’t miss a beat and needed no adjustments.  Went up and down the road, everything seems perfect.  Will hopefully get in a nice long ride this weekend if the weather holds out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 07:12:27 PM by Crash217 »

nicklej

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 10:55:49 AM »
Heya,

I own a GX cassette and I'm into replacing it with a lighter option. Garbaruk makes sick cassettes, but it's pricey and I'm not willing to pay it.
Any AliExpress model which you recommend? A friend of mine vouch for the SunShine light weight option, but I haven't read anything about it, so I'm here to ask.

Cheers,
M

Depending where you're based, AirBike is a good shout. I used their XD cassette a few years back when there was a parts drought during covid. Good build quality and price was really the determining factor. I am also in the UK so it was good to have them shipped out and delivered more quickly than Aliexpress options. https://airbike.uk/products/copy-of-12-speed-9-52t-xd-cassette-fits-sram-xd-gx-eagle-mountain-bike-mtb-freewheel?_pos=2&_sid=575c2dd79&_ss=r

Zomb1e

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 04:14:51 AM »
Slapped the cassette on, cut the chain (I stripped and waxed the fancy looking lightweight hollow chain it arrived with) and spun it through the gears.  The WheelTop EDS didn’t miss a beat and needed no adjustments.  Went up and down the road, everything seems perfect.  Will hopefully get in a nice long ride this weekend if the weather holds out.
Do you have good shifting in 3 lowest gears?

Crash217

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 11:46:10 AM »
Do you have good shifting in 3 lowest gears?

Yes.  Everything shifting fine and running smoothly.

Zomb1e

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 08:29:48 AM »
Yes.  Everything shifting fine and running smoothly.
Interesting. What derailleur/shifter combo are you using? I've been riding exactly the same cassette but with Sroad branding since 2022 and both of my SLX and Deore derailleurs paired with GX shifter seems to "overshoot" on lowest gears. Whis causes chain rub on second gear and exceptionally bad downshifting from first gear. The derailleur hanger was trued and I also tried 2 new hangers with the same result.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 10:22:26 AM »
Interesting. What derailleur/shifter combo are you using? I've been riding exactly the same cassette but with Sroad branding since 2022 and both of my SLX and Deore derailleurs paired with GX shifter seems to "overshoot" on lowest gears. Whis causes chain rub on second gear and exceptionally bad downshifting from first gear. The derailleur hanger was trued and I also tried 2 new hangers with the same result.

Maybe you could try a spacer/washer between the derailleur and the hanger. When I first set up my Sensah SRX pro, I could not get the derailleur to shift fine in the smallest 3 or the biggest 3 sprockets. Turned out I needed to install a 2mm washer to get it all to work OK-ish.

Took me 2 frustrating days to find that out....

Zomb1e

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 05:13:40 AM »
Maybe you could try a spacer/washer between the derailleur and the hanger. When I first set up my Sensah SRX pro, I could not get the derailleur to shift fine in the smallest 3 or the biggest 3 sprockets. Turned out I needed to install a 2mm washer to get it all to work OK-ish.

Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do not understand how a washer could help. You put the washer moving the derailleur further outwards, then you readjusting limit screws, and what have changed now?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 07:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do not understand how a washer could help. You put the washer moving the derailleur further outwards, then you readjusting limit screws, and what have changed now?

I dunno how it works, but for me it did work. It's only a couple of minutes work, so why not try it?
Like I said, I could not get the derailleur to work OK. Either I could not get the biggest 3 cogs to shift right, or the smallest 3. I had been trying to get it to work for 2 days. When I put the washer behind the derailleur, all of a sudden it worked.
I have since exchanged the crappy Sensah stuff for GRX, and no washer needed there...

Crash217

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 02:32:26 PM »

I'm using the WheelTop EDS mtb system.

mirphak

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 04:22:31 PM »
The spedao works just fine (10/10) with SRAM GX AXS at least.