Author Topic: Tideace NEW Gravel Frame: GR201  (Read 2030 times)

FabioZang

Tideace NEW Gravel Frame: GR201
« on: February 01, 2024, 01:34:49 AM »
There is currently no detailed information available about this frame, except for an official promotional video.
Based on the content of the video, I can provide a brief description of the frame's features:
- It features a downtube storage design with a magnetic and buckle cover plate.
- It has a T47 bottom bracket, and support for UDH.
- The frame is designed to accommodate tires of 50c+ width both in the front and rear, with the fork and rear dropout widths measuring at least 60mm+.
- It has a flat mount disc brake mount compatible with 140/160mm rotors.
- The frame weight for size M (52) is 1200g (including the storage compartment cover plate and all accessories), while the fork weight is 460g (uncut).

Images and geometry tables are provided below.

In my personal opinion, the overall design of this bike is quite good, but the geometry seems to be a major drawback. It appears that the designer simply extended the overall reach without making further adjustments to match the rider's riding position. Additionally, I believe that using 140/160mm flat mount disc brakes with such a large tire clearance design may be somewhat outdated.

Apart from these points, I think it is a decent frame. What do you all think?

mirphak

Re: Tideace NEW Gravel Frame: GR201
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 02:13:40 AM »
400mm reach with 570mm top tube in size 54, plus outdated seat tube inclination, 435mm long chai stay.

I am sorry but the design is a little Crazy. If they have put 75 deg in the back maybe they would bring the saddle closer, reduce top tube to something reasonable and paired with a short stem it could work. But this .... I don't see it
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 02:15:34 AM by mirphak »

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 03:27:02 AM »
400mm reach with 570mm top tube in size 54, plus outdated seat tube inclination, 435mm long chai stay.

I am sorry but the design is a little Crazy. If they have put 75 deg in the back maybe they would bring the saddle closer, reduce top tube to something reasonable and paired with a short stem it could work. But this .... I don't see it
Shorter chainstays and a slightly steeper seat tube would get me interested. This would probably reduce the top tube length by a bit as well.
Instagram: @aerosloth

RDY

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 04:36:13 AM »
Yet another one where the geo doesn't match the tire clearance except in the small sizes.  HTA / STA and FC / WB are garbage in the larger sizes.

pearl

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 06:57:38 AM »
Not that I'm in the market for a gravel frame as I just built one up, are you saying its too race oriented geometry wise? I've been on the hunt for a gravel race bike that clears 50s.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 11:11:54 AM »
What I really want to see is one of these types of frames with bigger brake rotor options and a suspension-corrected fork/geometry that works well with 40-50mm travel. I need a very upright cockpit to prevent drop bars from destroying my already damaged spine, and would like something at the leading edge of current trail-capable gravel bikes without crossing over into an XC flat bar hardtail.

mirphak

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 12:50:33 PM »
Shorter chainstays and a slightly steeper seat tube would get me interested. This would probably reduce the top tube length by a bit as well.

Exactly.

73.2 deg of seat tube angle in size 540 ... the trend in both road and mtb is going in the 75-78 deg range now (and something like 70.5-71-71.5 deg in the steerer), so I would not even consider buying another of these 73-73.5 deg (SA) / 72  deg (HA) frames. It is just super obsolete in my opinion. Having a more upright seat tube brings your weight to the front to gain traction, improves efficiency and, in my case, reduces lower back pain (confirmed with a bikefit). In fact, this is the direction I went with my titanium frame, and I think the geo I designed for that bike is sublime.

Quote from: pearl
Not that I'm in the market for a gravel frame as I just built one up, are you saying its too race oriented geometry wise? I've been on the hunt for a gravel race bike that clears 50s.

I just don't get this, honestly, but I acknowledge it is becoming super popular. 50mm tires is sluggish as hell. For bikepacking and doing lots of off-road it is a blessing because it just eats anything, absorbs anything. But if you want something road-oriented, aero maybe? 50mm tires just brights the opposite. For racing I would honestly go in the direction of CX frames/wheels ... something around 30-40mm tires, maybe more knobby if the terrain is very muddy/broken.

Quote from: FullCarbonAlchemist
What I really want to see is one of these types of frames with bigger brake rotor options and a suspension-corrected fork/geometry that works well with 40-50mm travel. I need a very upright cockpit to prevent drop bars from destroying my already damaged spine, and would like something at the leading edge of current trail-capable gravel bikes without crossing over into an XC flat bar hardtail.

Why not something like the Lexon reverse and building a monstercross with it? Cheap as hell, can take up to a 40T chainring, 70.5 deg steerer (even more vertical if you take lets say a Rockshox SID, a Fox 32 and reduce the travel to 80mm, or a lauf trail racer ... also would bring the seat tube angle up). I have that frame (and I think it is excellent) and if it was not for the 3 gravel frames I already have (  ::) ) I would go for a monstercross conversion. I think it is really asking for it

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 12:55:14 PM by mirphak »

RDY

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 02:39:58 PM »

Slacker seat angle, steeper heat tube angle, and shorter WB / FC is not 'racy', it's slow, and also dangerous on anything chunky, steep or technical.  Of course that doesn't stop the industry marketing machine and associated media from calling it 'racy'.

numberzero

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 01:36:20 AM »
Except the head angle i find too steep, 70° or 71 for tall sizes will be a better sweet spot between stability and agility, this bike is more or less the same what a famous US graveler will ride this year https://www.instagram.com/p/C2dIgQcOa0w/

For me the tideace is made for rolling fast, thus you don't want Downcountry'esque seat angle and 140-160 is enough for the intented use.

RDY

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 05:04:14 AM »
Except the head angle i find too steep, 70° or 71 for tall sizes will be a better sweet spot between stability and agility, this bike is more or less the same what a famous US graveler will ride this year https://www.instagram.com/p/C2dIgQcOa0w/

For me the tideace is made for rolling fast, thus you don't want Downcountry'esque seat angle and 140-160 is enough for the intented use.

That bike was launched nearly 2 years ago and it's still not available to anyone except their increasingly large crop of sponsored riders.  In fact beside Tri frames, I don't think any Felt bikes are available anywhere outside North America ...

It was claimed they were reorganizing after they were purchased from Rossignol by Pierer ... but that's, again, almost 2 years ago.

Also that Breed Carbon has the worst cable routing I've ever seen.  Even worse than the Exploro.

mangart

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 04:37:48 AM »

Apart from these points, I think it is a decent frame. What do you all think?

it seems that the gemoetry is nearly the same like the BMC Kaius

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 01:32:03 AM »
Type:Gravel Frame
Frame Model: GV201
Fork Model: GV-FK201
Weave: UD
Thru axle Rear Spacing: 142*12mm
Material: Full Carbon
Max Tire Size: 700*50C/27.5er*2.1"
Frame Weight: 1150+/-40g(52cm)
Fork Weight: 470+/-15g
Headtube-Top: 1-1/2"
Headtube-Down: 1-1/2"
BB: T47(85.5mm)
Available sizes: 49/52/54/56/58cm
Finish: Clear coating/matte

Thanks for all interesting of our molds.

Attached more details for new mold Gravel Frame GV201.

Any other details or want to make the order.

Feel free to contact us.

eddy@haidelibicycle.com

Sakizashi

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 11:25:30 AM »
I think its closest to the Trek Checkpoint SL / SLR in terms of geometry comparison.

I pretty much disagree with every comment above regarding geometry. Its more progressive and forward leaning than a lot of other open molds, but the latest Checkpoint geo was pretty well received. This one will be a little sharper due to the higher offset fork and the BB drop is more consistent across sizes so it might feel a little more dart-y in the larger sizes. However a Checkpoint geometry without the isospeed + udh feels like a win too. Stack and reach should be pretty close to the same because Trek includes their headset cover in their geometry and this bike appears not to.

Since we are all critics, i think working the design a bit to squeeze out a couple mm of clearance in the rear would have been nice as it would have allowed for 650bx2.2 / larger 2.1s to fit more comfortably in the frame.

Overall, this would be a top candidate if i was in the market for a gravel bike.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 11:28:06 AM by Sakizashi »

mirphak

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 03:57:35 PM »
Opinions are like butts, everyone has their one ;)

Ossip

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 08:30:44 AM »
I think the geo, looks a lot like the canyon Grizl. wich should be great for me.
I did put the geo online on:
https://bikeinsights.com/bikes/660fe85e11653c00217d7337-tantan-cycling-seraph-gr201

seems a aggressive shape with a lot of clearance