Author Topic: Sensah Empire FD Stiff  (Read 905 times)

TCal

Sensah Empire FD Stiff
« on: February 03, 2024, 10:30:49 AM »
Hey folks.

I am doing a slow build of a velobuild 168 this winter/spring.  I have in hand a Sensah empire 2x11 group set.  I am finding the FD is super stiff.  Turning the pull arm over with my hands requires an effort just shy of Herculean.  Installing the cable from the brifter reveals the cable is pulling the right amount, but fails to move the arm on the FD, arm too stiff perhaps? Have you encountered this? Any thoughts on how to release some tension on the FD spring, if that is even possible? Many thanks.

toxin

Re: Sensah Empire FD Stiff
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 11:04:10 AM »
The sensah 2x1 front mech just is that way afaik. If you cant figure out a way to soften it you can replace it with a 105 front mech

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 12:26:24 PM »
I've set up Sensah groupsets with both 105 11 speed and Rival 22 front derailleurs. Both were an improvement and can be found for like $20.

TCal

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 04:52:18 PM »
I ended up installing the Sensah FD anyway, and was successful in getting it to move.  I am using Jagwaire compression less cables.  I think my initial error was not fully disengaging the shifter to its resting position.  The thing does have a “trimming” feature that is easy to overlook. Thanks folks. Will report back on how it works.

ritxis

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 02:46:44 AM »
I gave my boss a Sensah 2x12 groupset...the derailleur is shit, I put a Campagnolo 10s that I had in a drawer and the difference was brutal, with a Shimano I would also improve the Sensah......

Sensah has "copied" Sram...and Sram and his FDs don't exactly have a good reputation   ;D

bichler.bua

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 02:05:35 AM »
Agree, the Sensah FD is far away from being a masterpiece of design and function.
It will work, however, but in my experience it is sensitive to routing of housing, bends and cable friction.
If you can optimize above, it is okay - but nothing more.

Froglover825

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 05:52:18 PM »
I've set up Sensah groupsets with both 105 11 speed and Rival 22 front derailleurs. Both were an improvement and can be found for like $20.
I thought only a specific version of sensah empire was compatible with Shimano but the default was only compatible with sram, are you saying the default sensah version is compatible with both sram and shimano?

s3si1u

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 10:26:38 PM »
I thought only a specific version of sensah empire was compatible with Shimano but the default was only compatible with sram, are you saying the default sensah version is compatible with both sram and shimano?

Nope. Just that I can set up SRAM and Shimano FDs reliably with Sensah. In my experience 11 speed stuff (not RDs) is pretty compatible with each other
Instagram: @aerosloth

mirek100

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 02:26:31 AM »
In the Sensah HRD left lever was something modified or improved. Moving the FD is very easy now. It was really hard job in the mechanical version.

Serge_K

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 10:08:05 AM »
I can confirm that the sensah FD is a bit shit. I swapped a 105, from c.10 years ago, which has a MUCH longer lever arm, the difference is night and day. Using the sensah FD with fully integrated bikes is not something i would recommend (I've built 4 like that).