Author Topic: Carbonal Venture SL budget lightweight 1x10 build  (Read 23988 times)

Arraider

Re: Carbonal Venture SL budget lightweight 1x10 build
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 02:52:08 AM »
holly crap... great looking frame, and the vinil mood lookes insanely awesome, hope you do not get mad if i still it  8)

davidd

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 04:41:26 AM »
holly crap... great looking frame, and the vinil mood lookes insanely awesome, hope you do not get mad if i still it  8)

Thanks Arraider. Not at all, you don't think I came up with the idea myself do you  ;)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:02 AM »
No doubt - The clear vinyl stickers on the matte frame is the way to go. Good job. That looks awesome! Something I'll definitely keep in mind for future build/s.

Btw, how are you liking the full one-up conversion? Smooth shifting up and down the entire cassette even up to the big one-up cog?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:05:16 AM by Sitar_Ned »

davidd

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
No doubt - The clear vinyl stickers on the matte frame is the way to go. Good job. That looks awesome! Something I'll definitely keep in mind for future build/s.

Btw, how are you liking the full one-up conversion? Smooth shifting up and down the entire cassette even up to the big one-up cog?

I haven't had a proper spin on it yet as I'm still waiting for the lockring for the centrelock rotor. I have ridden it around the house and it seems! to shift perfectly.  However you know how many things that appear to work well suddenly show another side to them in a race or similar situation.  I am hoping that the lockring arrives before Friday so I can at least get an hour on it before racing it Sunday.

DT Swiss, Why? The hubs are made for centerlock.  Shimano centerlock rotors ship with standard lockrings.  A standard lockring does not work on DT hubs with a 15mm axle.  Oversize lockrings are not easy to get.  Would it kill DT to include one or at least give a warning of the same on their site? Very Annoying!!!!

ponderosa

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
waiting to hear how that one up conversion performs!

davidd

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
Finally, lockring arrived today.  11 days from germany.  I ordered a Skean from France, it was posted Monday and arrived yesterday!!

davidd

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
waiting to hear how that one up conversion performs!

I was out this morning for a few hours.  I figured I needed to get at least one ride before racing it.  I'm completely happy with it.  Nothing needs adjusting or changing.  I was concerned that the shorter stem would leave it a bit light on steep technical climbs but it's perfect.

The OneUp setup performed perfectly.  There is no discernible difference shifting into the 42 than any other gear and no significant drivetrain noise when at either end of the block.  That said I do not expect to spend much time in the 42 and regard it as a bail out gear.  At the other end of the cassette I now have 11,13,16,19 instead of 11,13,15,17,19 but I can't say I noticed.  Total cost of the RADr cage, 42T and 16T is $145 plus I have two XT chainrings I could try and sell on ebay, the two rings together retail for €90 ($100?) on chainreaction, so it could be a very affordable 1x10 wide range conversion.  (Full XT crankset incl BB cost €120, rings €90 !?!?)

Brmeyer135:  Thought about it and then pulled the (cheap) Stans stickers off and the Rockshox logos too so now it's black as black can be. I might get some Crest decals done up in clear vinyl and see how they look.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:10:36 AM by davidd »

brmeyer135

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 11:38:32 AM »
Looking good there.
Will be interesting to see with your own creations.  I never did anything with the wheels or fork(only frame) but may depending on how yours goes.

davidd

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 04:05:49 AM »
Well first race done. Probably not the best course for a hardtail as endless wet rocks and roots; a course I'd previously pretty much cleaned every lap on the Ellsworth but had a serious number of dabs yesterday.

Impressions;

27.5 definitely rolls over stuff better than 26.5 without affecting maneuverability in tight twisty singletrack.

The front end is really responsive probably a combination of steeper head angle and the Maxle.

The rear end is very responsive but was not hooking up as well as I'd like. This could be directly due to it not being a full sus, the Rocket Ron just not being up to the job or the possibility that I'd run lower pressure on the FS, or a bit of all!

It's light!

OneUP is FLAWLESS. It never skipped a beat.

I had a lot of pedal strikes.  I'm not sure if the BB is exceptionally low? Or I'm just used to the higher BB on the Ellsworth.

I experienced an unusual "deadspot" a few times when the cranks were at vertical.  I've never felt anything like it before.  Allmost like the right crank arm was a couple of degrees out of sync (it's not - checked), one to watch.

Carbon takes hits better than expected, see the pictures.

Chipped

Scratched

Gouged

I think this build is at it's end.  I am unlikely to make any changes to the bike and entropy will now take over as the bike and it's components get down and dirty at what they are meant to do- take a hammering .  Despite the efforts in putting a nice looking, carefully thought out bike together, at the end of the day it's a tool not an end in itself.

Thanks to all who contributed and looked in.  I imagine this will not be my last China build!!

davidd

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »

325racer

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »
That got scratched up pretty good for one race.  Did you go down someplace?

But glad to see it getting used and abused as it should.  Even mine with its $400 paint job gets used.

davidd

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
That got scratched up pretty good for one race.  Did you go down someplace?

Just one of those days!! and I wasn't the only one. Wet, rooty, rocky, slippy.  Very unsatisfactory for it's first outing.
The following race, the pic with the race number, the bike really shone.  Climbs like a rocket and was razor sharp on twisty singletrack.  I was really impressed by it.

turboenterprise

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
Where are you located?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »
Davidd is in Ireland, land of the leprechauns.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

davidd

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »
Davidd is in Ireland, land of the leprechauns.

;D ;)  Yep, and obviously the leprecahauns were busy moving trees and putting rocks in my way at the first race. It must have trespassing on one of their fairy forts.... ::)