Author Topic: Project "Purple Rain"  (Read 720 times)

ChrisB

Project "Purple Rain"
« on: February 17, 2024, 08:42:12 AM »
Just want to share my latest Chinerbike project using a well known clone frame that was on offer during singles day sales in November and of course some other components off AliXpress.

I know clone frames are  frowned upon but I had a good experience so far, so here we go:
- Frameset including seat mast and carbon handlebar
- Ltwoo GR9 Hydraulic Gravel Brifters and Rear derailleur
- Zrace XG hydraulic calipers
- Elite SLR Gravel wheels 45x31mm
- Continental GP5000 STR 30mm with Ridenow TPU tubes
- ZTTO 11-46 ULT cassette
- 105 Crankset with Stone 46T chainring
- Mixed 5D Carbon saddle
- Wellgo SPD pedals
- Weight just below 8kg

I really like the frame geometry, so I decided to build a second bike with the same frame set and 1x11 gearing to be mainly used for indoor cycling on a Tacx trainer.
First I tried to combine the GR9 brifters with a Shimano GRX 812 Garbaruk modded derailleur but could not get it to shift properly, therefore reverted to the original GR9 derailleur which works reasonably well.
The frame interior looks clean by checking with an endoscope camera and the paint job is OK, but not perfect. The BB is a T47 which installed without any problems. The only thing I do not like on this frame are the plastic head spacer parts which require quite a lot of tension from the head cap to get all the play out in the fork bearings.
In case of questions, please let me know.   ;)

BR Chris
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 08:45:59 AM by ChrisB »

zyxtc748

Re: Project "Purple Rain"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 09:35:19 AM »
im interested in this frame too, which store is it? strangely enough Rocking store is nowhere to be found in Ali

Macedingle

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 12:10:54 PM »
Beautiful!

ChrisB

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 04:46:59 PM »
im interested in this frame too, which store is it? strangely enough Rocking store is nowhere to be found in Ali

I got the frame from "Rocking Cycling" but you are correct, I just checked on Ali and the shop was found only after a second search...
Here is the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2189015
I especially love the integrated handlebar, the cables are routed below so really easy for a clean installation.

BR Chris

zyxtc748

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 04:28:19 AM »
thanks. only 1 listed on the link you gave (on web & app). pina clone
Either geo-locked or de-listed  ::)
I guess i'll have to deal through yoho if i want to get one (listed at USD620) IIRC its slightly cheaper on ali.

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 11:21:42 AM »
Here is another option on AliX if you are still looking for an Emonda clone:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006586412993.html

BR Chris
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:43:52 AM by ChrisB »