Author Topic: Seka Exceed RDC Broken Frames: Source of Concern?  (Read 1392 times)

Nadeshiko

Seka Exceed RDC Broken Frames: Source of Concern?
« on: February 18, 2024, 11:42:25 PM »
Hiii yall. First time posting.

With the recent drop in groupset prices I snatched a set of R8170 at a very good price, and as I am planning on moving later this year to a new country I would love to celebrate it with a new bike.
I was initially really found of the Seka Exceed RDC frame as it's light, looked really good with the new 2023 paint schemes, has relatively relaxed geometry, and at a price that I felt was fair if not a bit on the more expensive side given the competition from other Chinese brands and OEMs.

However, after some digging on the Chinese forums, I have seen some alarming posts regarding the reliability of this frame which all featured a broken chainstay. The first two photos attached comes from a rider who claimed to have crashed at around 30kph and said the crash wasn't a serious one. Of course, I know whenever an accident occurs there's no guarantee that the frame will come out unharmed, and this could very likely be an isolated event. The next pair of photos came from a guy on Douyin who claimed the non-drive side chainstay cracked on itself. Seka followed up by sending him a new frame under warranty, which was nice I suppose. However I also wonder what the warranty process would be like oversea, and more importantly, if this crack were to develop further during a ride, how dangerous it could be.

The last set of photos also comes from another guy claiming that the frame cracked during a normal ride, where he noticed a creaking noise from the BB area and soon discovered the frame had cracked at the drive-side chainstay. As far as I could see, no follow ups from Seka for the first and third guy.

In Cam's video featuring an ultrasound exam on this frame, I remembered the technician saying that the frame "does not have a lot of margins for errors...", which was very likely referring to how few materials were used to achieve the claimed weight of the frame (and likely high-modulus carbon too). Given all three cracked frames are the RDC model, it really makes me wonder if this is the result of the low margin of errors. I certainly know stories of other frames cracking too, whether due to accidents or just riding over bumps, but given the tedious warranty process and trouble dealing with a company within China, these incidents made me wonder if I should stay away from Seka and look elsewhere. Agile seems like a really good choice despite its horrendous logo and color schemes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should still go with Seka? Or anyone has any recommendations of a frame of similar price and has a similar look?

patliean1

Re: Seka Exceed RDC Broken Frames: Source of Concern?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 09:04:27 AM »
Despite both SEKA and their distributers' efforts to improve customer experience, I still think there are more reliable options for the money. They seem to be doing well domestically but the overall hype has died down a lot.

Aesthetically the Winspace T1550 gets my vote. I'm also really considering the Elilee Blize (standard version, not XXE) because Elilee seems to have finally figured out all their issues from early adopters. It may not have the aero details but customers have reported the ride experience being similar to the SL7.

Anything above $2000 and you might as well go with a major brand.

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:27:55 AM »
How much do you weigh and how hard do you ride? Assuming you're not too light, from a risk / reward standpoint, buying a Chinese frame that's not the lightest means there will be more material everywhere. And it will likely be stiffer, which is a good thing up to a point.
Although more recent frames (1 year or so) are all EPS foam moulded, which should mean a cleaner inside & better layer compression / adhesion. Which in turn should mean you can go with a lighter frame.

I'm building my 9th Chinese frame in 2 years right now so i've handled a bike or 2.

My Facteur (i'm trolling Factor) is a Long Teng and the other one is a Winow. It's early days (<500km) but so far I love the LT. Which looks a LOT like the 2024 velobuild (268).
The Winow weighs c.7.6kg. Didn't weigh mine, probably the same or a bit less.
I'm c.84kg and my FTP is somewhere between 275 & 300W, and I suck at sprinting. Because of that, I went with chunky frames, wasn't man enough to risk building a lightweight frame blind. The Facteur is stiff AF, the only things i can feel flex (when doing 800+W) are the tyres & the spokes on the front wheel (I went with steel & not carbon spokes because 1. cheaper but also 2. was afraid of excessive stiffness).

Sakizashi

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 01:04:55 PM »
I would avoid Seka just on the basis of their customer service and revolving door of european distributors. That said their hype was driven by the RDC being made in the same factory with the same tech (allegedly) as the Factor bikes. It was one of the first light weight chinese bikes to see the light of day in western markets. As the story developed though it was undone by a brand story that didnt quite add up (i.e., an "aero" bike with an endurance geo that never saw a wind tunnel), atrocious delays and customer service, and issues with details like seatpost fitment. While I personally dont worry too much about the pictures of cracked frames, those other issues are big enough for me to not pay that much for an RDC.

I agree with @patlean1 that the Elilee is a more complete story as a light weight race bike that was tested in the windtunnel (albeit slower than the SL7) and with decent reviews. However in the current market without discounting, that frame is also a tough sell. Afterall you can pick up a complete Pinarello F5 105 Di2 in the blue color for $3280 from Excel Sports right now.

BalticSea

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 01:35:03 AM »
Regarding Seka vs Elilee - just get whichever frame looks better to you and fits you better.
IMO, companyade aero tests are just marketing, same as UCI stickers. Elilee say that their frame is just slightly worse than Tarmac SL7, but which Tarmac SL7 did they compare to? Sworks with deep carbon wheel and aero bars or the cheapest SL7 eith regular handlebar and cheap alloy wheels? Difference in parts selection can be madsive (i.e. Specialized's own SL7 marketing where they claimed massive improvements, but forgot to mention that it was SL7 with carbon wheels vs SL6 with alloy wheels).

To me, Seka Exceed looks infinitely better and geometry of Exceed is slightly better IMO.

Although both frames aren't that great of value when Cervelo Soloist exists
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 02:13:36 AM by BalticSea »

Sakizashi

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 09:18:04 AM »
You can see the photos of the windtunnel testing setup here: https://imgur.com/INTX8Ca

It seems pretty basic. Wheels handlebar and frame that's it. It was made fun of because its so basic, but that basic testing in the tunnel is about a lot more than marketing; it should be part of the development process to get real data that confirms the models they are using to develop the bike; the same way that you test to confirm the results of FEA. Sharing the pictures and the plots IS marketing since the results are likely to be not very representative to a rider. Ideally, they would have also tested rider interactions and had components attached to the bike, but that is yet another level of complexity and a different run of testing, which would add additional cost.

However, saying that the process to validate models was done at all is a sign of a more mature engineering process. To me thats a big deal and huge step towards closing the gap to big brands.

boxof13

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 06:21:27 PM »
I had difficult time deciding between SEKA and Elilee, as I thought both are good option. I ended up getting an Elilee. I have not been able to ride the Elilee Blize outside yet, since it's still a little cold up in the northern part of the US (I am a fair weather rider).

One thing that might be overlooked is how easy it is to actually purchase the frame. I kid you not, I sent three emails, Instagram DM, FB message to official SEKA accounts and I hear no response. This was me trying to buy the frame directly. Meanwhile, I got prompt response from Elilee and they have been responsive and answer all my questions even before I decided to get the frame.

patliean1

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 10:14:59 PM »
I am currently battling a warranty issue with Giant, regarding my (only 4 month old) Propel Advanced Pro. It's a story for another day. I'm giving them a chance to do right before I make a video on it, but the experience has left a really bad taste in my mouth for having spent $4000 all in. Warranty and dealer support is supposed to be what comes with the high price tag right lol?

Had I purchased my Tavelo Attack frameset (Nich Legend4/Adapt AT-B01) before my Propel and knew the performance would be very similar out on the road...I could have saved myself not buying a Propel.

While the Elilee Blize isn't the most ground breaking looking frame, I appreciate Elilee's approach. Perceived quality seems to be there. Gonna probably sell my Propel once warrantied, and use the money to build an Elilee. Or an SL8 comp  ;D
To me the sweet spot for competitive Chinese bikes is the $1500-$2000 range.

chughes

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 06:59:16 AM »
I had difficult time deciding between SEKA and Elilee, as I thought both are good option. I ended up getting an Elilee. I have not been able to ride the Elilee Blize outside yet, since it's still a little cold up in the northern part of the US (I am a fair weather rider).

One thing that might be overlooked is how easy it is to actually purchase the frame. I kid you not, I sent three emails, Instagram DM, FB message to official SEKA accounts and I hear no response. This was me trying to buy the frame directly. Meanwhile, I got prompt response from Elilee and they have been responsive and answer all my questions even before I decided to get the frame.

Yes I also explored the Seka option almost a year ago (between may and july 2023), it was near impossible to get a response. At first a sales person did respond and mentioned they would shortly (within 2 months) offer direct purchase via their website. I am then near pulling the trigger and then no response. Tried them a few more times for about 6 weeks and then gave up

chughes

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 07:06:24 AM »
I am currently battling a warranty issue with Giant, regarding my (only 4 month old) Propel Advanced Pro. It's a story for another day. I'm giving them a chance to do right before I make a video on it, but the experience has left a really bad taste in my mouth for having spent $4000 all in. Warranty and dealer support is supposed to be what comes with the high price tag right lol?

Had I purchased my Tavelo Attack frameset (Nich Legend4/Adapt AT-B01) before my Propel and knew the performance would be very similar out on the road...I could have saved myself not buying a Propel.

While the Elilee Blize isn't the most ground breaking looking frame, I appreciate Elilee's approach. Perceived quality seems to be there. Gonna probably sell my Propel once warrantied, and use the money to build an Elilee. Or an SL8 comp  ;D
To me the sweet spot for competitive Chinese bikes is the $1500-$2000 range.

@patliean1m since your review I have noticed pandapodium lists Tavelo Attack as out of stock

patliean1

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 07:37:37 AM »
@patliean1m since your review I have noticed pandapodium lists Tavelo Attack as out of stock

Tavelo Attack is available for purchase from Panda Podium if you email them. My guess is the "out of stock" status is to keep the other brands using this same frame happy.

dsveddy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 10:53:55 PM »
USA Seka (non RDC) owner here. I had a warranty issue and it was processed pretty well all things considered—I can vouch for the after sales service. Fantastic frame, it’s been very nice. If you can get a hold of one at a decent price I’d say it’s worth it. I think the Tavelo is pretty much the same spec frame though, I’d also consider that one in today’s market.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:57:07 PM by dsveddy »

boxof13

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 10:58:14 AM »
USA Seka (non RDC) owner here. I had a warranty issue and it was processed pretty well all things considered—I can vouch for the after sales service. Fantastic frame, it’s been very nice. If you can get a hold of one at a decent price I’d say it’s worth it. I think the Tavelo is pretty much the same spec frame though, I’d also consider that one in today’s market.

How did you manage to get the frame in the US? Was it from Cycling100 before they went out of business?