Author Topic: Carbonda 707 vs Velobuild CX-002  (Read 589 times)

Daniel86EU

Carbonda 707 vs Velobuild CX-002
« on: February 19, 2024, 02:13:51 AM »
Hello guys,

im planning to build up a race gravel bike with a clean look as possible. Wing from Carbonda offered me to send a clean fork, without mounting points (+5 $ each).
Velobuild has anyways a clean fork. Unfortunately both have slot for Front derailleur and no option for customization to make it clean.

Cant decide between these 2 Frames.
I think both are quite solid from what ive been reading. Both can have problems with steering bearings right?

Planning to build up with some Chinese 50+ mm Carbon wheels with 40mm tires and Sram Rival AXS 1by, maybe Mullet.

Do you have any opinion which frame suits this build more?

Thanks guys

Sakizashi

Re: Carbonda 707 vs Velobuild CX-002
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 10:07:37 AM »
I have another build in the way first, but I am planning on a Carbonda 505SL for this kind of thing (1x fast commuter with room for those ultralight fenders, or 35mm tires with mud clearance for some lite gravel). I have a more serious gravel race rig for longer days in the saddle and tougher terrain.

My issue with the 707 is that its very gravel endurance focused with the stack too high and the steering too slack to make a great race rig for the pointy-ish end of gravel races, let alone fast road riding.

Donramon94

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 04:32:51 PM »
Where can i find infos of the carbonda 505sl. I don't find it on their website.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 10:02:10 PM »
I just ordered a 707, which will be my third Carbonda build after an FM1002 (170F/150R AM 29er) and FM1003 (single crown 180mm DH/enduro 29er). Carbonda has a very solid reputation and my experiences have borne that out.

The 707 uses the same drop-in 1.5/1.5 headset setup as the FM1002, to give the option of headset cable routing. I’ve found their OEM headset to be prone to rust, knocking/creaking, and dirt/water ingress. I replaced the one on my 1002 with an FSA no.55R-558 (no cable routing) and have been very happy with it…precise tolerances so you don’t need the thin spacers the OEM headset uses to correct for imprecision, and better protected against the elements. If you want headset cable routing, the no.55 ACR should have the same benefits.

I picked the 707 for multiple reasons and didn’t even really consider VeloBuild, but looking over the CX-002’s spec sheet I see several differences in favor of the 707 if you want maximum gravel firepower…being a gravity MTB rider that’s my focus. Since you’re considering racing I’m sure your ideal is a bit different, but to my way of thinking:

*50mm clearance is better than 42
*180mm rotor clearance is better than 160
*BSA threaded BB is better than press fit
*707 strikes me, visually, as a bit more rugged

…however, you’re talking to someone who’s putting a suspension fork on his 707 that is heavier than the frame itself! I’m planning to do a substantial amount of trail riding with mine and I like to spice up my gravel rides any way I can, including small jumps that might end up not being so small with this new build.

On the flip side of that argument, thinking more like a racer: the CX-002 is significantly lighter (claimed weight)…about 300g less on the frame and 100g less on the fork.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 10:08:12 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 05:08:08 AM »
Where can i find infos of the carbonda 505sl. I don't find it on their website.

Not sure why it is not on their web site anymore.
You can contact Wing for details at: sales1 [ at ] carbonda.com