Author Topic: New Gravel Frame Ican Graro  (Read 2324 times)

Donramon94

New Gravel Frame Ican Graro
« on: February 24, 2024, 03:26:43 AM »
Hi All,

I’ve just come across what looks to be a new Ican gravel frame.

https://icancycling.com/collections/gravel-bike-frame/products/gravel-bike-frame-graro

The Geometry (checked 54cm) appears to be quite race inspired.
Tyre clearance noted as 700x45c

I’ve been looking for an frame for a few months to do mainly road + light gravel.

Just wondering if anyone has either ordered one or come across this frame and what your opinion with Ican is?

RDY

Re: New Gravel Frame Ican Graro
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 07:01:30 AM »
Looks ok, but couple of immediate flags.  That's a proprietary seatpost with a profile that probably won't allow them to retrofit a 27.2mm insert, and it appears to only be available with a post which looks like it has 25-30mm of setback, which is going to be way too much for most people's fits these days.  Those look like 40mm Ramblers in the photos, and it's already really close to the FD .. will a 45mm really fit on the rear in 2x on reasonably wide rims?  I have my doubts, and I'd want more than 45mm anyway.

Re: Ican, I've had no dealings with them, but people's experience with the quality of their product and customer service has been very variable on these forums.  They're increasing prices significantly now too.  But they *should* be better than VeloBuild or TanTan.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 07:09:50 AM by RDY »

Donramon94

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 05:42:00 AM »
Would you prefer the X-Gravel 2 which features also all internal cable routing but has a standard seatpost? What other alternatives can be considered as race-inspired gravel?

Thanks in advance!

electrolux

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 06:42:56 AM »
Would you prefer the X-Gravel 2 which features also all internal cable routing but has a standard seatpost? What other alternatives can be considered as race-inspired gravel?

Thanks in advance!
Have you looked at the Airwolf YFR068?

Donramon94

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 09:10:16 AM »
Yes had a look at the Airwolf as well. However, I would prefer to have BSA bottom bracket. Do you have any experience with the Airwolf Frame? Also the Airwolf has a special head tube design I guess.

electrolux

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 10:55:23 AM »
Yes had a look at the Airwolf as well. However, I would prefer to have BSA bottom bracket. Do you have any experience with the Airwolf Frame? Also the Airwolf has a special head tube design I guess.
No experience personally, but its half the price of the iCan. I'm almost fully decided to purchase one end of March.

The headtube is annoying but workable.

maui400

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 11:15:49 AM »
Anyone pulled the trigger already? Apart from the price the frame seems really nice. Yes, the seatpost might be a deal breaker. But if anyone has had the chance to measure it's setback?
The BSA bb is rather a downside to me as bonded inlays have the potential to come loose. And then you are in more trouble than with a poorly fitted pressfit bb.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:20:09 AM by maui400 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 05:51:58 PM »
Those look like 40mm Ramblers in the photos, and it's already really close to the FD .. will a 45mm really fit on the rear in 2x on reasonably wide rims? I have my doubts,

Are you saying all that from this photo in question?

The BSA bb is rather a downside to me as bonded inlays have the potential to come loose. And then you are in more trouble than with a poorly fitted pressfit bb.

Have heard BB shell bore not perfectly round but haven't heard threaded insert coming loose. For me manufacturers going back to threaded BBs (BSA, T47) is a very welcome news.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:55:42 PM by coffeebreak »

Asco

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 07:14:22 AM »
I'm considering this frame a lot, I really like the look.

ICAN have an assembly video on their Youtube channel - I can't get the link to work for some reason. At 4:29 you can clearly see that the installed tire is a 45mm Rambler. The ICAN G25 wheels are 25 mm internal, so according to a bit of googling the Rambler should measure 46-47mm.

I have also been writing with Perry from ICAN, according to them the max chainring size in 2x is 46/33. But it looks like a GRX 48/31 in the video, and it doesn't seem to be close to the chainstays.

My main issue right now is that their handlebar doesn't come narrower than 400.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:16:30 AM by Asco »

maui400

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 02:18:55 PM »
Have heard BB shell bore not perfectly round but haven't heard threaded insert coming loose. For me manufacturers going back to threaded BBs (BSA, T47) is a very welcome news.

Staying with anecdotal observations. I never had issues with pressfit and if so I would have either bought a bb with a threaded inner shell - or simply glued in the shells with Loctite 683*.
From an engineering perspective the advantages of pressfit overweight the downsides. The biggest downside of pressfit is it's reputation because people are unaware of the proper installation process. Maybe I have to correct myself by saying the biggest downside of pf is therefore the higher chance of improper installation as opposed to threaded bbs.
This is also covered by "peak torque". I just couldn't find the video in which he said that. But while searching for the vid I came across another video which explains this topic: https://youtu.be/33IWHSGl1nU?si=an7GdPbuU_WQ3gx-

Btw. I asked them a few questions:
is it possible to provide an own logo for the frame?
---Sorry, no
do you also offer the Graro fork without bolts?
---Sorry, no
how big is the setback/offset of the seatpost?
---15mm
do you offer a seatpost with less seatback?
---Sorry, no
is it possible to order the frame in pearl white and fork in chameleon?
---Yes.

* "wtf?! You would end up having worn bearings and therefore a frame to be dumped." Actually no. I just use a good quality bb with replaceable bearings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:25:48 PM by maui400 »

maui400

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 02:37:19 PM »
My main issue right now is that their handlebar doesn't come narrower than 400.
Do you need a stock handlebar?

coffeebreak

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 02:47:34 PM »
Staying with anecdotal observations. I never had issues with pressfit and if so I would have either bought a bb with a threaded inner shell - or simply glued in the shells with Loctite 683*.
* "wtf?! You would end up having worn bearings and therefore a frame to be dumped." Actually no. I just use a good quality bb with replaceable bearings.

Hmm. My experience is from BB30 but I am not alone. I have CAAD 10 and SSE2 both from 2014-15 timeframe. The CAAD came with squeaking bb when I bought it last year. Punched out the bearings and installed new (Wheels Manufacturing ABEC-5) and after a couple of months they started squeaking. I haven't changed it to thread together yet so I clean and lubricate every time squeaking returns. The SSE has Token thread together BB on it and it works fine. Its still technically press fit but I like the idea of two cups attaching to themselves than just latching onto frame.

The problem with BB30 and BB30a bb shells is there is no traditional bottom bracket as such - its just bearings pressed in and a c-ring prevents them from going all the way in. Those bearings, c-rings, and two cups/reducers to space out crankarms form a bottom bracket. If Loctite is used it will be around the bearings directly and if it bonds the bearings to frame, its frame dump the next time bearings need changing. Loctite is a big no there. Same thing with Trek's BB90.

When you say I use good quality BB with replaceable bearings, are you talking about BB386/PF30?

maui400

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 05:33:48 PM »
Hmm. My experience is from BB30 but I am not alone. I have CAAD 10 and SSE2 both from 2014-15 timeframe. The CAAD came with squeaking bb when I bought it last year. Punched out the bearings and installed new (Wheels Manufacturing ABEC-5) and after a couple of months they started squeaking. I haven't changed it to thread together yet so I clean and lubricate every time squeaking returns. The SSE has Token thread together BB on it and it works fine. Its still technically press fit but I like the idea of two cups attaching to themselves than just latching onto frame.

The problem with BB30 and BB30a bb shells is there is no traditional bottom bracket as such - its just bearings pressed in and a c-ring prevents them from going all the way in. Those bearings, c-rings, and two cups/reducers to space out crankarms form a bottom bracket. If Loctite is used it will be around the bearings directly and if it bonds the bearings to frame, its frame dump the next time bearings need changing. Loctite is a big no there. Same thing with Trek's BB90.

When you say I use good quality BB with replaceable bearings, are you talking about BB386/PF30?

You're right. I was thinking about pressfit bbs with shells. I would not buy a frame with BB30. SRAM went away from this standard pretty quickly it seems.

Asco

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 03:41:34 AM »
Do you need a stock handlebar?

No, I don't, and I have been looking at other options. That said, I'm a bit confused about compatibility between integrated headsets.
I'm also considering a traditional handlebar and routing the cables under the stem into the headset.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 04:21:34 AM »
No, I don't, and I have been looking at other options. That said, I'm a bit confused about compatibility between integrated headsets.
I'm also considering a traditional handlebar and routing the cables under the stem into the headset.
Judging on the pictures I would say the headset is fairly standard. Round and for 52mm bearings. Most generic handlebars will include the necessary spacers.