Author Topic: Chiner traveling bike case for road/tri bike  (Read 564 times)

ejump0

Chiner traveling bike case for road/tri bike
« on: March 10, 2024, 06:00:31 AM »
Sup folks.

im in market for a bike case to pack my bike abroad for racing.
im looking for something compact; preferably no need to remove fork) n doesnt break the bank. dismantling stuffs is fine as im familiar with bike build.

hard case is bonus (like b+w case).
so far i came across XXF eva and few Nooyah cases. i dont want too bulky case like bikeboxalan as i may travel on express bus.

(xxf 901) https://a.aliexpress.com/_ongTDmq

(nooyah BK012 ;nooyah has few bk models) https://a.aliexpress.com/_oCIWrQI

any other case worth looking at in realm of sub usd250?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:36:05 AM by ejump0 »

poyo

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:32:56 AM by poyo »

Serge_K

Re: Chiner traveling bike case for road/tri bike
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 11:46:27 AM »
I've had an EVOC soft case for eons. It's served me well.
The last bike i transported, i put in a bike box i got from a shop that was throwing it away. it might be the best option, especially if you already have wheel bags (protection). It would cost you between nothing and pretty much nothing, which is up to infinitely less than a hard case. Bike bags are insultingly expensive. I remember paying a lot for my EVOC bag, and since then it's just become a farce. A problem is long term storage for the 99% of the time when you dont use it.
There's a ghetto aspect to it I enjoy. And you're recycling. And when you're done you can compost it. How many bike boxes are compostable?
You can splurge on packing materials given your spend is so far zero to protect stuff. The box doesnt have wheels though, but i'm sure you can buy something on aliexpress and tape it on. Duct tape is always a friend.
Because it's a hard box, you can ship it instead of traveling with it, potentially.
After you've gone through the motions a few times, you realize there aren't many things that can go wrong if you protect the bike in the right places and stuff the box so that there's no rattling. If you're a civilized human you probably wax your chain which also means your bike is clean to start with.
I think i'd trust a reused bike box from a shop more than a soft case, because a soft case is just awkward and subject to odd forces, but a bike box is engineered to stay in its box format.

Greenred

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 05:35:43 PM »
Ride Now Bike Guard Lightweight and foldable.

https://www.ridenowtech.com/?page_id=1002&lang=en

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006168609050.html

Have you actually tested it?
It looks very fragile and I can’t imagine it would offer a lot of protection

poyo

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 02:23:29 AM »

No, I have not tested it.

Yunglord

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 06:48:17 PM »

Similar to a bike box which is tried and true.

I personally use an Evoc bag but you do need to travel more then a few times with it to have a good return on investment.

ejump0

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 11:41:45 PM »
I've had an EVOC soft case for eons. It's served me well.
The last bike i transported, i put in a bike box i got from a shop that was throwing it away. it might be the best option, especially if you already have wheel bags (protection). It would cost you between nothing and pretty much nothing, which is up to infinitely less than a hard case. Bike bags are insultingly expensive. I remember paying a lot for my EVOC bag, and since then it's just become a farce. A problem is long term storage for the 99% of the time when you dont use it.
There's a ghetto aspect to it I enjoy. And you're recycling. And when you're done you can compost it. How many bike boxes are compostable?
You can splurge on packing materials given your spend is so far zero to protect stuff. The box doesnt have wheels though, but i'm sure you can buy something on aliexpress and tape it on. Duct tape is always a friend.
Because it's a hard box, you can ship it instead of traveling with it, potentially.
After you've gone through the motions a few times, you realize there aren't many things that can go wrong if you protect the bike in the right places and stuff the box so that there's no rattling. If you're a civilized human you probably wax your chain which also means your bike is clean to start with.
I think i'd trust a reused bike box from a shop more than a soft case, because a soft case is just awkward and subject to odd forces, but a bike box is engineered to stay in its box format.

thanks for your exxperience.
evoc style soft cases by some manufacturer do comes in with removavble exo-skeleton for support n easy storage. but most seems to be big/bulky.

currently im thinking of this xxf.  not softcase, n not abs hardshell,
it has wheels, n as the shape almost square, it looks like easily to position in any orientation too

the ridenow box seems more wider.
i did consider normal box, but it would be a faf at border inspection if the officers wants to see the contents if theyre not satisfied with xray

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002965963552.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&spreadType=socialShare&bizType=ProductDetail&social_params=6000072074618&aff_fcid=5ab497c5ab39480fb3677290098e52b9-1710853061368-02800-_ongTDmq&tt=MG&aff_fsk=_ongTDmq&aff_platform=default&sk=_ongTDmq&aff_trace_key=5ab497c5ab39480fb3677290098e52b9-1710853061368-02800-_ongTDmq&shareId=6000072074618&businessType=ProductDetail&platform=AE&terminal_id=af74547fd7c44d48b2fe0501f924a556&afSmartRedirect=y
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:58:10 AM by ejump0 »

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 06:11:00 AM »
Mine does have removable PVC tubes and sticks to make it rigid. But the base doesn't fold down, so it's still super awkward to store when not in use, it's a flat ish but not really flat long ass bag to store that doesn't fit elegantly anywhere.