Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

Rust Proof Brake Discs?

(1/1)

RBT:
Hello, I'm a newbie to the site and this is my first post here! I'm trying to get back into riding after far too many years away! I've lots of questions, but I'll just post one at a time :)

I need a new bike. My budget is US$ 800 all-in. Definitely not a lot!

I could buy a pre-built bike with alu frame with carbon forks and Claris 2x8sp group, which is fairly nice. But I'm a rocket engineer and I like building things! ;) So I'm also investigating the possibility of building an ultra-low-cost carbon bike using parts mostly from Ali.

I have my eye on a Ceccotti frame that I can get for $313 delivered, together with an LTWOO R7 10sp full group w/ rim brakes for $216. I should be able to get a used set of wheels (such as Shimano RS500) in good condition on ebay for about $120, which leaves $151 - enough to get some Continental GP 4 All Seasons tires to get the most out of the system, and still be able to pay for bars, cables, tape, pedals etc. without going over my budget limit.

So, my first question is about disc brakes: I live on the Space Coast of Florida and the really hot, humid, salt-laden air here rusts and corrodes EVERYTHING, horribly. I'd like to go for mechanical disc brakes instead of rim, but the rust issue holds me back. Can anyone suggest any disc suppliers who have rust proof products?

Cheers,

Ross.

Serge_K:
I've never seen rusty bike discs. Is that a thing? If you're in Florida, go talk to GC Performance from youtube? He will have relevant insights. He might have goodies for you too, who knows. Could be an interesting project for him to post about.
For this budget, i'd say second hand, but i can understand you like building things. I'd still buy 2nd hand. Rim brake stuff is cheap these days, residual value on deep carbon rim bikes is low, and Florida is flat, so probably safe to run used rim carbon wheels
I have a 105 group on a giant propel on which i've put 15+k km, 11s, as long as it's maintained, it's immortal, but the residual value on parts like these is super low.
8 speed is ghetto.
Are the Conti 4 seasons the same as GP4000? If not, look for GP4000, even second hand? Get TPU tubes for cheap on AliX. The one thing i wouldnt cheap on is tubes & tyres.

310$ for a new frame, rim, shipped, there's a very decent chance it's a POS. Vs a 2nd hand branded bike should be pretty much as good as new. Going super cheap on chinese stuff is a pretty sure way to get crap. They do, after all, sell a lot of crap.

jonathanf2:
I’ve left an old disc brake mtb outside for a year exposed to the elements. The disc rotors never rusted. For $800, just buy a used rim brake bike. My buddy sold a mint Wilier carbon rim bike with Ultegra 6800 for like $400. If you want to build something, budget for more quality components. Building it right the first time will cost you less money in the long run when you get the itch to upgrade!

RBT:
Well, the responses to that question went in an unexpected direction! :)

So disc brakes don't usually rust, eh? Are they usually made from stainless steel or something similar?

And a used CF bike would be a better approach? Hmmm. Interesting to hear that same thing from everyone who responded - thanks.   Checking ebay and craigslist there do seem to be quite a few options to choose from, some in my region too.

I'm going to pivot my plans and will heed your collective advice - thank you, all, for putting me on the better path!! Advice like this is precisely why community forums like this are so wonderful!

Cheers,

Ross.

Serge_K:
Before going Chinese, and never coming back (hihihi hahaha I am so funny), I bought various second hand bikes, including for friends. A lot of people here probably have as well. Don't hesitate to ask questions here on that process as well, because some people sell great second hand bikes, and some people are crooks. If you know the questions to ask and what to check, you really limit the chances of buying from a crook. I find getting scammed very vexing way beyond the money involved.
Also, if you dislike a paint job on a bike that otherwise would tick all your boxes, know that Plasti dip is reversible (I've used it, years later, it's still going strong, as long as you're not OCD about your gear), and I've recently played with car vinyl, which works wonders, so you can probably wrap parts of a bike pretty easily. I have also spray painted a brand new frame, aka non réversible, I would not recommend it. Plasti dip on the other hand is super simple.
Happy hunting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version