Author Topic: Torn between road vs gravel version of the same frame (FM6x9 vs GR029)  (Read 238 times)

Takiyaki

I like Tantan's fake S5 frame but I'm not sure whether to get the road version or the gravel version. I ride all road and am a recovering weight weenie so the FM6x9 appeals there. But I wouldn't mind running 30-32c tires and the higher stack/shorter reach of the GR029 has appeal. The frames look insanely similar built up as well:

I think the GR029 is about 300g heavier than the FM6x9. Again I ride all road and the roads here are pretty smooth. Looking to get wide gravel wheels that will make 28s bigger/softer as well. Is the clearance for the extra 2-4mm worth it for me?

Serge_K

I wouldnt buy a road bike with max 28C clearance. I wouldnt buy a gravel bike if i plan to basically only use it on the road (geometry, higher center of gravity, longer chainstays, tralala tralala, a gravel bike is NOT a road bike, says the guy with 2 gravel bikes and too many road bikes to count).
So i vote for option 3: Matt Damon.

Takiyaki

Someone squeezed a 30c in the road frame, but it's tight- https://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=4245.0

And truthfully 28c is comfy enough. I'm also looking at the VB-R-066D which will easily clear 32c but isn't as cool looking or light (basically a store brand Endurace)