Author Topic: Cut the fork  (Read 664 times)

Ar26

Cut the fork
« on: March 15, 2024, 03:58:39 AM »
Small technical question regarding the cutting of the fork. Until now, I cut my fork at the level of the stem then with the expander I was 2mm above the stem and then I placed a 5mm spacer to compress the headset (classic process). I'm going to build a bike with integrated wiring and the cap is flush with the handlebars and I was wondering how high the expander should be from the top? Still 3mm for good compression? With this system (more aesthetic), isn't the top of the fork buried in the stem subject to too much pressure?
I sometimes see people cutting their fork flush with the handlebars, then placing the cover but I tell myself that there must not be enough compression. Clarification would be appreciated

Serge_K

Re: Cut the fork
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 05:51:48 AM »
Mechanically, you need space between the steerer & the top cap because that's how you compress the steerer column. You dont need much, but you do need a few mm otherwise you can't compress the system and you risk having headset play (& catastrophic failure if you really build stuff like a monkey).
Some top caps prevent you from having a spacer above (VB for eg).
Some expander plugs dont have a lip on top of the steerer column (especially the extra light ones)
However you create that space, you need some.

Ar26

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 06:32:56 AM »
Thank you Serge (are you French?). I was expecting your response. I will be building the LCR 017 soon. As mentioned, until now I always put a 5mm spacer above the stem in order to have that 3mm of space for compression. With one-piece handlebars and integrated cables, it's obviously more aesthetic when nothing protrudes but with this system, the top of the fork is at the same level as the upper screw of the handlebars in order to leave room for compression. The expander playing its role of counter force in a way.

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 02:21:09 PM »
Thank you Serge (are you French?).

Guilty :)
I stand on the shoulders of giants, nurtured by a culture of patisseries, adultery and weapons manufacturing.
And I complain. A lot. For example I thought my er9 was a piece of shit when it stopped working yesterday. Turns out I just didn't charge it. I blame al Qaeda.

PLA

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 03:51:33 PM »
Guilty :)
I stand on the shoulders of giants, nurtured by a culture of patisseries, adultery and weapons manufacturing.
And I complain. A lot. For example I thought my er9 was a piece of shit when it stopped working yesterday. Turns out I just didn't charge it. I blame al Qaeda.

LOL
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.