Author Topic: ICAN Gravel X Frame Crack  (Read 520 times)

Urzrkymn

ICAN Gravel X Frame Crack
« on: March 24, 2024, 04:00:12 AM »
Hi all,

Wanted to share my experience so far and ask for advice.

On inspecting my frame recently I found a crack

I reached out to Ican asking for the warranty process as the frame was still within the 2yr warranty.

The response:

It is probably the small crack on the painting because this part is easily touched by the ground and obstacle during your normal ride. Do't worry about it. It won't influence your riding.

Best regards
Peggy

So I responded saying I’m pretty sure it’s a crack and I’d like to send it in for inspection.

The response:

If the carbon is damaged under the paint, the paint will crack larger and wider.
There was not a crack when you received it. So it is not a crack of the carbon.
There is possibility for the paint coming a crack after 2 years' use. If you are not sure about it, you can try to use a tool to gently scrape away paint from cracks.

Best regards
Peggy

So i used some fine sandpaper to take a look at the crack and found that not only does the crack go into the carbon, it’s formed where the was presumably a number voids that were filled before paint.

I’ve reported this back but don’t have my hopes up for an acceptable resolution.

Serge_K

Re: ICAN Gravel X Frame Crack
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 04:30:06 AM »
I dont understand. I dont see any crack or flaws. Which is probably why ICAN can't see anything wrong either, if that's all you sent them? Often, i find that videos give a better sense of problems than photos.
You can't expect them to agree with you if they can't see what's wrong.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 05:16:00 AM »
I dont understand. I dont see any crack or flaws. Which is probably why ICAN can't see anything wrong either, if that's all you sent them? Often, i find that videos give a better sense of problems than photos.
You can't expect them to agree with you if they can't see what's wrong.

I see the crack, but I have to admit is is almost invisible in both pictures.

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 11:35:59 AM »
I see the crack, but I have to admit is is almost invisible in both pictures.

I wanted to call you a ninja, then ofc my brain went there:

I had another look, i still dont see any crack :)

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 01:04:36 PM »
Yeah, I see what might be the subtlest seam (which could be called a “void” but isn’t really the same as what most people mean when they say that word) in the carbon sheet layup but no crack. Unless it grows I have considerable doubts that it’s a crack…the vast majority of cracks that aren’t caused by crashes will start at a tube junction and cause the paint to separate or fall off. The paint was intact over this seam until it was sanded off. This is far enough from the nearest junction that I’m skeptical.

It’s not impossible, but without being able to see it in person, I have my doubts.

Hmpf

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 10:12:58 AM »
I can't see a crack either. Are you sure it's not just the primer from the paint?

And can you do a haptic test? Does the carbon around the "crack" feel softer when you press into it?

What if you try to twist the top tube in the affected area? Does the crack get bigger, does it move?

Or do the coin test: take a coin and tap it along the top tube. Does the sound change at the damaged area?