Author Topic: Frame "inspiration" reference thread  (Read 523 times)

Takiyaki

Frame "inspiration" reference thread
« on: March 25, 2024, 01:30:43 PM »
There are a lot of open mold frames that... let's say "draw inspiration".... from big brand frames. The most obvious one is the SL7 and it's probably worth keeping a list of those with all their subtle differences, but I wanted to reference some others I've found and keep a thread going.

Inspiration: Canyon Endurace

Open mold versions: Velobuild VB-R-066/OG EVKIN CF-025

Notes: Velobuild available in rim or disc brake config. I think the Velobuild version is a good bit lighter than OG EVKIN's.

Inspiration: Cervelo R5

Open mold version: Tantan FM6x9 (609, 619, 629, 639)

Notes: the geometry is EXACTLY the same lmao. Also available in rim & disc versions as well as half vs fully internal cabling (I wanna say 639 = fully integrated).

I know the TT-X38 is "inspired by" the newest Scott Foil but I'm too lazy to dig all those photos up. But you get the gist. If I had the time I'd start a website to capture all this open mold data. Finding info is a real pain in the ass

neobiker

Re: Frame "inspiration" reference thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 02:29:46 PM »
Pinarello Dogma F and Velobuild VBR-218 is the most striking one for me

abdbeg

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 12:46:35 AM »
Scott Foil and TanTan x38, even though by using it i noticed that there are more differences than similarities

mirphak

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 06:12:47 PM »

Notes: Velobuild available in rim or disc brake config. I think the Velobuild version is a good bit lighter than OG EVKIN's.

Inspiration: Cervelo R5

Notes: the geometry is EXACTLY the same lmao. Also available in rim & disc versions as well as half vs fully internal cabling (I wanna say 639 = fully integrated).

They are not even remotely close. I don't know who started to say they are, because they are not.

The canyon is a proper endurance frame, with very short reach and very tall stack. In fact the CF7 comes at a whooping 590mm stack for 378mm reach and 543 mm top tube in size M. The velobuild for a similar top tube goes up to 383 mm reach and just 578mm stack. The og evkin does not even compare, 388mm reach, 551mm top tube and only 574mm stack. The canyon is an endurance frame, the other two are not.

To my knowledge, there aren't really endurance open mold frames. There are things that are somewhat in between a regular roadie and an endurance, but not true endurance frames like the Canyon, the Trek Domane, the Giant Defy or the Specialized Roubaix

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/canyon-endurace-cf-7-2024-m,velobuild-vb-r-066-d-2020-m,og-evkin-cf-025-2021-m/

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 06:14:23 PM »
Spycycle R065 is basically the Canyon Aeroad.