Author Topic: Rim brake road bike frame with at least 28mm tire clearance  (Read 1176 times)

Rim brake road bike frame with at least 28mm tire clearance
« on: March 27, 2024, 05:33:06 AM »
Hello,

first of all. This forum is a great ressource, hats off to all your effort and the collective knowledge presented here!

I fear my question is a bit of a niche question as rim brake bikes are dying out steadily... but still... I live in a relatively flat area (Berlin), I am not eager to ride in rainy conditions if I can avoid it, I like to experiment with bike geometry and also fear the necessary maintenance disc brakes require. Moreover, I have lot's of rim brake specific spare parts lying around here... tl;dr: I am looking for a rim brake frame.

But: Berlin's roads are rarely smooth and there are also lots of cobbled paths. Coming from a ultra stiff early 2000s aluminium frame which can barely accomodate 23mm tires @15C rims (Pro-Lite Cuneo GP), I would LOVE to have a little bit more comfort. From browsing through all the china frame manufacturers (Dengfu, Hongfu, TanTan, Workswell, etc.) I know that most of their rim brake frames only accomodate 25mm tires. I myself own a Hongfu FM-088 which is rated as "25mm" and leaves only minimal clearance with Vittoria Corsa 25mm @ Campa Zondas 17C and I always have to deflate the tire on the rear wheel once I want to remove the wheel, otherwise it get's stuck in the frame. tl;dr: I know that it's maybe a hopeless request.

To sum it all up: Does anyone of you know a rim brake frame that accomodates 28mm tires?
(even better when it has threaded BB, endurance geometry, round seatpost, common headset measurements [eg IS42/28.6 | IS52/40], but that's for another time)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 06:35:19 AM by belgischer_kreisel »

bremerradkurier

Re: Rim brake road bike frame with at least 28mm tire clearance
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 01:36:43 PM »
No threaded bottom bracket, but the Velobuild R-066 and OG Evkin CF-025 from it appears to be from the same mold would tick off most of your requirements-I've posted about my OG Evkin CF-025 which is almost six years old now. No issues fitting Conti GP5000 in 28c on a 19c internal rim.

nickobec

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 02:40:41 AM »
To sum it all up: Does anyone of you know a rim brake frame that accomodates 28mm tires?
(even better when it has threaded BB, endurance geometry, round seatpost, common headset measurements [eg IS42/28.6 | IS52/40], but that's for another time)
2017 Giant Propel SL fits  28mm tyres (well Conti GP5000 TR S on 23mm internal width rims) just, thanks to its mini V brakes. But fails on every other requirement.

All my other frames an I have a few, don't fit 28mm tyres (GP4000s on  17mm internal rims), and the most common issue is rubbing against the brakes. The one exception is a 2008 KHS flite800 which is made from Reynolds 853 steel and fits all your requirements.

What I am trying to say, is look careful on the second hand market, you might find something suitable. Be it a 2017 Gaint Defy (you might need to check tyre clearance) or a mid 2000s high end steel frame. Rim brake frames/bikes are cheap and plentiful on the second hand market.

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 03:56:03 AM »
I think the last couple of supersix in rim brakes could take 28s, on wide enough rims. I think i would focus on the 2nd hand market for what you're after. China is focusing on where the market is going, which is discs. If you buy 2nd hand, you can get a tour de france bike from a few years ago for really cheap. And if your concern is geometry, then try a bunch of bikes that people are selling.
Beyond frame clearance, you also have to look at brake clearance. People have been known to sand down brake pads to accommodate wider rims, which can it turn accommodate wider tyres. If you ride on the flat, sanded down brake pads will still last you forever.

BalticSea

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 04:04:11 AM »
It's an epic quest to find a new frame that fits all the requirements I'm afraid.

I got a rim brake bug myself couple of weeks ago, so I picked up a ~2012 alloy Boardman Comp. Frame is quite heavy at ~1.8kg, bit it has BSA bottom bracket, round seatpost (larger than 27.2mm though), plenty of room for 28mm tyres because the frame uses longer reach brakes.

Takiyaki

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 06:02:16 AM »
Have you considered going disc with cable? That will let you keep everything rim brake except the calipers/wheels, and give you substantially more tire clearance.

Velobuild's VB-R-066 comes in rim brake and disc and meets a lot of your requirements. I would still lean towards disc. Yes you will need a new wheelset too but that's an opportunity to really lean into the width. You can even get MTB wheels if aero is not a concern. Then use your rim brake groupset with something like Juin Tech F1 calipers. Something to think about

KvotheTheRaven

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 07:05:35 PM »
I have a rim brake Trek Emonda ALR. I've fitted 30c tires in there and would have no problem going to 32s. It's decently light too for an aluminum frame at around 1200g with paint and hardware in size 50. The only box it doesn't tick is a threaded bb. I would definitely recommend, the smooth welds make it seem almost like carbon.

Sebastian

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 01:06:56 AM »
There's still a few options around with direct mount rim brakes if you search Aliexpress thoroughly enough. My VB-R218 has direct mount rim brakes and definitely fits tires measuring up to 32mm with still enough clearance. Also my rims are 30mm wide and the slightly better braking performance with direct mount rim brakes helps with that. But I think this is about the widest you will ever be able to go with rim brakes.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 04:47:20 PM »
Have you considered going disc with cable?

Haha YES. Every other day I change my mind. I am just a bit concerned about guiding compressionless housings along the handlebar/through the frame (too strong bends) and from which cable actuated brakes to choose (maybe juintech f1 but they are pretty damn expensive).

Anyway, thanks for the big response. I fear its a never ending quest for me.

Takiyaki

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 06:06:59 AM »
I mean if you really just want to dip your toe into the disc brake thing, consider getting a disc fork + wheel + cable brake caliper for one of your rim brake road bikes.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 02:07:56 PM »
I mean if you really just want to dip your toe into the disc brake thing, consider getting a disc fork + wheel + cable brake caliper for one of your rim brake road bikes.
If I get a DB bike I want to exploit its andvantages to the fullest (tire clearance), eg 35mm tires at front and rear. No honestly I think about the Carbonda 1056, but the thread has >35 pages and I am still not through it :D

rasch

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 02:33:22 PM »
Assuming from ur username that u are from Belgium (around brussels) maybe we can think of ordering together a frame and save on shipping money.

Maybe there is even other Belgian people willing to join and do a groupbuy from 1 supplier.
I am currently in doubt between Carbonda 1136, 1056, vbr 066 and ltk266. Mind points to first two, wallet to the latest 2 especially since vbr066 is the revised version

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 02:43:42 PM »
haha, no, I am German, living in Berlin. Belgischer Kreisel is the German term for riding in two rows in crosswind with rotating riders in front as in a time trial.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgischer_Kreisel

but I'll definitely have a look into your frameset suggestions.

Takiyaki

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 03:47:44 PM »
Someone put 38s on a 1056 "without issue"

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2982.msg57684.html#msg57684

Though if you really want to guarantee big tire clearance it might be worth looking into gravel/cross frames.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 04:01:29 PM »
Someone put 38s on a 1056 "without issue"

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2982.msg57684.html#msg57684

Though if you really want to guarantee big tire clearance it might be worth looking into gravel/cross frames.

35mm would be more than enough for me as I do not really plan to do any Gravel and would favor more something like an all road bike (and I guess the 1056 is just that).