Author Topic: First gravel frame (and first chinese frame)  (Read 947 times)

gf

First gravel frame (and first chinese frame)
« on: March 05, 2024, 02:49:27 AM »
Dear all, i am looking some gravel frame from China, in order to build a companion bike for my mtb, to use during easier and longer trips.
I would like to stay on low budget project (gravel should be second choice compared to mtb).
At the moment I am considering two frame from Spcycle, G056 or G058, for good price, a lot of handlebar size and painting options; I also like the design of Carbonda cfr707, but I ask a quote and it is more expensive, so I have some questions.
- Is Carbonda better option for general quality (does it worth about 200 euro/dollars more also without the painting)?
- Is Spcycle a reliable seller?
- considering size M, for G056 and G058 the gemoetry are quite the same, but on G058 reach and top tube are shorter, does it mean more comfortable bike? Cfr707 has longer reach, tt and lower stack, is it more race oriented?
- I plan to use the gravel also for long mountain ride, on easy unpaved road with quite long climb, which geometry should be the best option? the one with longer chainstay?

If there are other good frames, felle free to suggest; only constrain is that I prefer bsa bb.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Serge_K

Re: First gravel frame (and first chinese frame)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 11:46:12 AM »
I can't remember seeing BSA BB gravel bikes. The most recent ones are on T47, which is the same idea.
I dont think i've seen anyone complain about spcycle, quite the opposite. I wouldn't spend extra on a carbonda, but i think quite a few people are happy with their carbonda as well.
On geometry, bro science dictates that more reach and less stack is more aggressive indeed. Make sure you dont buy a bike that's too long, because you can use a longer stem, but you can't chop a frame.
If you like the pinarello grevil, let me know, i can put you in contact with someone who's cloned it. i'm testing it now. It's literally a clone, with more mounting points for bike packing.

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 01:44:12 PM »
I purchased a Seraph GR029 gravel frame over 4 years ago.  It has been a work horse.  I have around 10,000 miles on this frame/bike.  To date I love this build.

I also like Spcycle frames.  I purchased one of their 29er hardtail frames a few years ago. It is my back-up gravel machine.  Since it is a 29er frame, I swap between a 100mm travel Suspension fork and a rigid carbon fork and either run flat bars or put on carbon  "H" bars.  This bike configured as a gravel bike with the suspension fork is actually faster on a lot of the rougher gravel roads and trails I use it for.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800631693777.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802796251755.html

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 01:38:58 AM »
I’m on my third Carbonda build — a CFR 707 arriving in the next few weeks — and I’d be far from alone in steering you that direction. They’re worth the modest premium, which I should note is still way less than their branded equivalents.

Personally I get all my frames in matte black and add red parts/decals so I don’t pay for painting, but they do a decent job at that too.

My FM1002 and FM1003 feel great, have elevated my riding, and hold up under absolutely legendary levels of punishment. I expect the same from my 707 when it’s built.

gf

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 02:28:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for your feedback; at the end I think i will go with Spcycle g058, for geometry (I tetsed a cannondale Topstone of a friend in size m and was quite ok, but if the future gravel should be little shorter I think is better for me) and design. I am considering solid or metallic paint; do their paint job worth the extra money?
Thanks

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 04:31:56 AM »
Thanks a lot for your feedback; at the end I think i will go with Spcycle g058, for geometry (I tetsed a cannondale Topstone of a friend in size m and was quite ok, but if the future gravel should be little shorter I think is better for me) and design. I am considering solid or metallic paint; do their paint job worth the extra money?
Thanks

Just a note about Carbonda. $200 over the life of your bike is nothing, just maybe waiting a few months to save that extra amount if cash is tight.
I'm a fan of Carbonda because of the service that comes with it in case of trouble.
I ordered dozens of frames from them and never one failed, which is already something, but got some shipping loss... and they took care of everything.
And their new 505 model tick many good boxes for me.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 06:02:15 AM »
Same here, out of the 4 framesets I ordered from china the past few years the Carbonda 696 was my first and the whole process went the smoothest. I also think you have the best chance at warranty if something goes wrong. With most Ali sellers the chance on getting warranty is very slim...

gf

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 08:19:37 AM »
Same here, out of the 4 framesets I ordered from china the past few years the Carbonda 696 was my first and the whole process went the smoothest. I also think you have the best chance at warranty if something goes wrong. With most Ali sellers the chance on getting warranty is very slim...
For Spcycle I think to go directly on theri website, is cheaper than their shop in ali

Tijoe

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 11:26:48 AM »
My FM1002 and FM1003 feel great, have elevated my riding, and hold up under absolutely legendary levels of punishment. I expect the same from my 707 when it’s built.
My second gravel bike build, "elevated" my riding too.  It is based on a 29er hardtail, and the bottom bracket is "elevated" about 20mm higher than my other gravel bike.
 8)

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 03:20:44 PM »
My second gravel bike build, "elevated" my riding too.  It is based on a 29er hardtail, and the bottom bracket is "elevated" about 20mm higher than my other gravel bike.
 8)

That’s going to be my 707 too…maybe even more “elevated” because I’m making the initial build with a 60mm(!) travel suspension fork, a Suntour GVX. Decent chance I’ll end up dropping it to 50mm if things feel too out of wack, but upright and super-capable for big mountain gravel descents/trail riding is the concept so I’m maxing things out to start and adjusting from there.