Author Topic: Fat bike project underway  (Read 22005 times)

cmh

Re: Fat bike project underway
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
Just saw something that made me laugh, and reinforced why I wondered about the level of interest:

Seems I've kinda been dominating the discussions here.  ;D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:27 PM »
Lol. Yeah, sorry about that cmh.. The Fat bike section can get pretty lonely, I'm sure.

cmh

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 05:47:32 AM »
Lol. Yeah, sorry about that cmh.. The Fat bike section can get pretty lonely, I'm sure.

No worries, hopefully someone finds something good in there!

cmh

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »
Update on the project - I've ridden it in the snow, and didn't think it was miraculous. Anything I was able to ride, I would have been able to ride with the "slim" FS 29er. Deep snow still stopped it, just a little bit later than the slim bike would have been able to do. Rode it on sand, sure, it works, but again, didn't think it was doing anything I couldn't have done on a normal bike, and it felt quite a bit slower even though it's within a quarter pound of the FS 29er.

Today, however, I took it on dry, hard packed singletrack, and had a blast. Might still need to adjust the tire pressures a little bit, it would bounce over roots if I was out of the saddle and didn't account for the root, but it was REALLY fun in the twisty bits, especially when I was fresh and able to really direct it. Seems it responds to a whole bunch of input at the bars, and I easily rolled through sections where I'd normally be considering a quick brake drag to keep my speed under control.

The agressive, out-of-the-saddle approach that really worked for it today has left me thoroughly tired and sore, but it now looks like I won't just put it in the back of the garage for the rest of the year, and that's got me happy.

Of course Tuesday I'm demoing a couple Giant FS bikes, so things might change anyway. :D

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
Good to hear CMH, I still want to ride one on my local trails so I can get a feel for what it's like to have those big mushy tires rolling over things, bombing down hill, and sweating up the climbs.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
cmh I really appreciate the effort you put into this thread. Great job!

cmh

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
Thanks, all! I think now that spring is here I'm gonna drop the 2x and convert it to a 1x10 with a spare wolf tooth chainring. Pulling the front shifter and derailleur may  just dip it under 30lbs. :D

cmh

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »
So tonight I worked on the fatty. Got it converted over to a 1x drivetrain. That little 32t chainring looks so lonely with the wide BB and nothing around it. :D

Also got the brakes upgraded, "hand me down" Formula R1s from her bike - while lighter, she likes the Shimano brakes better, so I got the absurdly light Formulas. Not too bad. Also a hand-me-down is the XTR 10 speed cassette which is now unused as she's going to XTR 11 speed.

A couple other minor things and threw it up on the scale - 29.20lbs, now officially lighter than my full sus 29er.  8)

Looking forward to when I can get out and give it another ride! If I keep enjoying the bike, I might have to get in touch with Peter and start looking at options for a carbon Chiner fatty.

cmh

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 07:15:12 AM »
Had a blast riding the fatty on dry hardpack again, so I'm considering making the jump to the carbon Chiner frame. I'm in touch with Peter, looks like he already has the fat bike offerings listed on his new site. I may be building a Chiner soon!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »
Fat Chiner!  Go for it man!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
Fat Chiner!  Go for it man!

That just sounds... soooo wrong. :D

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Can't wait to see it. At NOX while you're all waiting for me to catch up.  ;)

Craig

cmh

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »
Can't wait to see it. At NOX while you're all waiting for me to catch up.  ;)

Oshit, another local! I know Scott and... crap I forget the other guy with the 057 that we rode with at Batsto that one time ... I know they're on here, didn't realize you were as well. :)  Sup, buddy! :D

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
Yeah just got on. Ordered a .057 and should have it early June. That's Marty with the Single Speed .057. Funny thing is I mentioned building a Chiner to him first but he pulled the trigger first. (Must be the no kids thing)
This forum was a HUGE help in figuring out what I wanted to order.

cmh

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:30 PM »
This forum was a HUGE help in figuring out what I wanted to order.

SO much so - I spent a little time at MTBR today and it reminded me just how much I love this site. Thanks to everyone involved in making this place so awesome, seriously.