Author Topic: Tubeless gods frown upon me...  (Read 10162 times)

MTB2223

Re: Tubeless gods frown upon me...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 04:07:38 AM »
I think the issue is I don't have a compressior to set the bead and my track pump doesn't get it done. Going to try to do it with a CO2 cartridge tonight.
You do need a compressor. CO2 cartridge won't do the trick. You need high speed air flow and a lot. CO2 cartridge don't have the right speed and capacity. Not even the 29-er CO2 cartridges.

carbonazza

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:27 AM »
I had some despair initially too, but looked at various videos on youtube.
My preferred tricks when the tire doesn't want are: either using soapy water or tighten a strap around the wheel.
With a compressor and removing the inner parts of the valve.

But as CD points, I've never thought to go to an LBS and do it for me(as a last resort to avoid tubes).

bdub

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »
So I got the rear tire up with the gas station compressor. Front tire is really being a pain though. The issue is that the tire came folded up very tight and now there are big creases in the bead that I can't seem to straighten out. I stuck it in my car this morning and I am hoping when it warms up it will smooth itself out. If not, any recommendations?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »
If the tire you purchased has a wire bead and it was folded, I can see why you would have such a difficult time going tubeless.  Make sure your tires are either UST or tubeless compatible Kevlar bead, foldable tire, if they aren't then you will have a difficult time with it.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bdub

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
They are the foldable ones. Issue is they were folded up and secured with a very tight zip tie. I think I may need to put a tub in them for a few days and see if it will mold to the correct shape.

bdub

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 07:40:11 PM »
Heated the tire up a little and the bead popped on. Seems to be leaking out of the money valve stem hole. Hopefully the Stans will seal that up.

cmh

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
They are the foldable ones. Issue is they were folded up and secured with a very tight zip tie. I think I may need to put a tub in them for a few days and see if it will mold to the correct shape.

If a folding tire comes shipped like that (Continental, for example) I'll put it on another rim and inflate it with a tube for at least overnight before trying tubeless for exactly the reasons you've listed. Works like a champ, even with Contis which can be particularly tricky to get to set up tubeless.

carbonazza

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 04:34:16 AM »
I'll put it on another rim and inflate it with a tube
Next time I'll try it. May be it would work even without a rim. Just inflating a tube, and leaving it for a few hours.

MTB2223

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
Found an interesting article in the last MBR magazine:

cmh

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 05:17:32 AM »
Found an interesting article in the last MBR magazine:

Hah, that's clever, although they don't say what pressure to use. Could be a surprise if someone goes too high!