Author Topic: Velobuild Advice  (Read 662 times)

alfiomotrambo

Velobuild Advice
« on: May 26, 2024, 03:09:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm considering the VB-R-168, VB-R-177, and VB-R-066 bike frames and ride about 15,000 km per year. I'd love some advice on these models.

How do they compare in terms of rigidity, comfort, and weight? Have you experienced any defects or issues with these frames? How easy were they to assemble?

Which frame would you recommend for durability and longevity?

I'd also appreciate any customer feedback or reviews from those who have used these frames.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Alfio

Takiyaki

Re: Velobuild Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 05:01:20 PM »
066 is the most comfortable, 168 is the heaviest. Patlien really liked the 177 but it has the most aggressive geometry. I'd personally go for the 066; I almost did but went in another direction.

alfiomotrambo

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 01:27:50 AM »
066 is the most comfortable, 168 is the heaviest. Patlien really liked the 177 but it has the most aggressive geometry. I'd personally go for the 066; I almost did but went in another direction.

What direction did you take?  :D

blackpyros

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 03:53:48 AM »
Which frame would you recommend for durability and longevity?
Honestly? None. They are all carbon frames. If you seek durability and longevity, you want to ride 15k a year for many years and I guess you preffer lower weight (as you look at carbon frames), go titanium.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 06:20:26 AM »
if you're considering the 168, then get the 268. The 168 is outdated in terms of carbon layup. The 268 is reportedly as stiff as the 177, but it's more recent and accepts wider tyres.
Assuming you can fit yourself on it, obviously. If you have very poor flexibility, like if you can't touch your toes, then you probably ought to buy an endurance frame.
As for long term longevity, i wouldn't ride a VB frame from 5y ago because composites tech used has come a very long way (now stiffer, lighter, better finished inside, cable integration, aero, discs, better ride qualities...). in 3y you'll probably want a new frame anyway. Even though modern carbon fibre frames are, in principle, immortal.

Takiyaki

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 07:12:41 AM »

What direction did you take?  :D
Tan Tan FM639, still waiting for paint and delivery. IMO Velobuild is less of a gamble.