Author Topic: Am I nuts? 70 and 73mm disc brape caliper interface? IS -> L-Twoo?  (Read 475 times)

lantz

I've got a frame that has IS mount points on it.

It uses 6M screws between the IS adapter and the frame. It had avid calipers on it that 6M mounting points to go into the adapter.

The brake and the caliper side of the adapter seem to be 73mm spacing.

I have an L-Twoo hydro set that I wanted to put on this bike - the issue?

The L-twoo calipers *seem* to be 70mm? Also they use 5M screws.

I can't, for the fucking life of me, I can't figure out what to do. I've tried Shimano IS to Post adapters, same situation - 6M and the spacing is a little weird?

Does anyone know what I'm missing here?

jonathanf2

Re: Am I nuts? 70 and 73mm disc brape caliper interface? IS -> L-Twoo?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 12:47:45 PM »
LTwoo hydraulic calipers are flat mount brakes that need to use their own adapters, regardless of appearance. It's LTwoo's way of getting around Shimano brake mount patents. Your best bet is to use either regular post or flat mount calipers with appropriate adapter. I believe ZRace provides IS adapters for either caliper style.

lantz

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 04:12:02 PM »
Yeah, was hoping I could even like... double adapter it, haha. I tried to use normal adapters, but the M5/M6 issue is what is ruining it for me. That's obnoxious.

The IS mounts and adapters use bigger bolts than the L-Twoo calipers have space for, so it seems like it's just gonna be a mismatch.

Time to return the whole freaking groupo.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 04:13:54 PM by lantz »

frnchy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 05:24:32 PM »
You could use different calipers - as long as it’s shimano road compatible (i.e. mineral oil), it should be ltwoo compatible. Quite a few sellers on aliexpress bundle the ltwoo shifters with zrace xg calipers which use a regular flat mount interface and are much lighter.

lantz

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2024, 04:03:05 PM »
You could use different calipers - as long as it’s shimano road compatible (i.e. mineral oil), it should be ltwoo compatible. Quite a few sellers on aliexpress bundle the ltwoo shifters with zrace xg calipers which use a regular flat mount interface and are much lighter.

Appreciate the recommendations, may find a set of mech calipers to give a shot with a 105 mech set I have laying around.