Author Topic: A little Rockshox Axle to Crown Trivia  (Read 6604 times)

davidd

A little Rockshox Axle to Crown Trivia
« on: February 09, 2015, 05:45:42 AM »
This may or not be news but I was surprised....

When I was researching my Venture build I was trying to calculate where I would have to run my stem to maintain my position on the bike.  I thought I had better compare Axle to Crown measurements for the forks I was currently using (26 "Reba 100's) and my intended forks (27.5" SIDs or Reba 100's).  I had always assumed that as they are supposed to use the same basic construction that they would be the same but this is what I found..

26"      27.5"    29"
Reba 100           493      507      526
SID   100     473      487      506

20mm is quite a lot, equating IIRC to about 1 degree change in head tube angle.  I would imagine this would have a significant impact if head angle was already steep or slack. 

When a frame is measured what axle to crown measurement, I wonder, are the angles based on?  Is there a standard?

cmh

Re: A little Rockshox Axle to Crown Trivia
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »
When a frame is measured what axle to crown measurement, I wonder, are the angles based on?  Is there a standard?

No standard - if you're *LUCKY* then the manufacturer lists the A-to-C in the frame geometry, otherwise you have to figure it out from the stock spec, like what fork they put on a normal build. Sometimes you've got to take a guess. :)

JohnnyNT

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:52 AM »
There is no standard, "good" frame manufacturers include default A2C in the drawing. Then you can easilly work out the change of angles caused by a different fork by some geometry ;) I am really surprised by the SID-REBA difference though.

JohnnyNT

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »

davidd

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »
Hi JohnnyNt,
Yes, that would make more sense.  I didn't find what I was looking for on the SRAM site and went looking for specs on store sites. The layout below is copied from bikeman.com and was repeated on other sites in the same format eg http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=FK7710.  Who knows where it originates.  If I had found the SRAM stuff to begin with I'd have been happier...

PRODUCT SPECS
Manufacturer: RockShox
Mfr Part #: 00.4018.789.010
UPC: 710845750953
Model: RockShox Reba
Size: Tapered
Type: 15mm Thru-axle
Style: 29er
Color: Black
Weight: 1664
Brake Usage F/R: Front
Fork Rake: 51