Author Topic: LightCarbon/YiShun/ProX Rims... Suspiciously Cheap?  (Read 884 times)

Nadeshiko

LightCarbon/YiShun/ProX Rims... Suspiciously Cheap?
« on: July 08, 2024, 11:32:18 PM »
So, I have been shopping for a pair of wheels for my overkill commuter bike for a while, and I originally intended to go with a pair of ICAN wheels, which I have previously used and was very satisfied with. However, I also wanted something a little bit more unique/flashy. I either wanted a wavy rim or a butterfly weave pattern, which I quite liked from Winspace. (Though the Hyper wheels that have this weave pattern were a little bit out of my budget range, and most importantly, I just don't want to deal with carbon spokes on a daily commuter that I throw around and lean against things all the time. You could argue that I shouldn't be getting a pair of carbon wheels to begin with, but nonetheless, I have commuted on the ICAN wheels for almost seven months with no problems.)

Anyway, I remembered that YiShun/LightCarbon also provide wheel-building services for individual buyers too. So, I got a quote from them for the price of a pair of their butterfly-weaved rims (BRD28-45C) built with DT-350. They quoted me a price of $585, which I thought was a little bit too good to be true. Almost all other Chinese wheels built with DT-350 are upwards of $800, and LightBicycle (not to be confused with LightCarbon) quoted me $900 (same with WheelsFar). I know these OEM factories are buying the hubs in bulk and getting special deals on them, but at retail, a pair of DT-350 hubs costs at least around $270, which leaves only around another $270 for the rim, the spokes, and labor. Even if labor costs are dirt cheap in China, this is still concerningly cheap.

Maybe I have been conditioned by the bigger companies to think that a good pair of wheels should cost upwards of $800, but the reality is that I am still a little concerned with this price. I know that YiShun is a very reputable OEM with huge manufacturing capacity and many bigger customers, but I have also seen some horror stories of their products arriving cracked. I am wondering if I should go with someone like LightBicycle or WheelsFar, or if I should test the waters with the Yishun wheels. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially from those who have firsthand experience with the company. Thanks in advance.

P.S. a set of wavy rims (RBD50C) from YiShun built with DT-350 will cost 729 USD, and I am not sure how to feel about this price as there are very few reference points
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 11:34:13 PM by Nadeshiko »

In carbon we trust, everything else just rusts.

Lotnik

Re: LightCarbon/YiShun/ProX Rims... Suspiciously Cheap?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 02:23:11 AM »
Are this price from Lightcarbon is with shipping? If not add around 120 USD for shipping. It ends up as standard price for a wheelset.

Nadeshiko

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 03:14:15 AM »
Are this price from Lightcarbon is with shipping? If not add around 120 USD for shipping. It ends up as standard price for a wheelset.

I am in Japan so the shipping was quoted to be 61 usd on top of the wheelset. I suppose this is normal then?

In carbon we trust, everything else just rusts.

Lotnik

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 05:26:14 AM »
I think it's a good price then. Their OEM hubs come cheaper, but the shipping to EU is pricey. Nothing to worry about them. Lightcarbon/ProX is a good company.

toxin

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 07:56:18 AM »
What are their prices?

SirBikealot

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 08:06:09 AM »
the price seems good. I got a set of wavy wheels from yuan-an (leon here at the forum) with their dt clone hub for 409$ incl. shipping to Germany.

Fatbonzo

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 08:11:37 AM »
I'm driving the RBD50C with "their" hub... no issues so far, but I don't own a truing stand, neither have I much experience. Compared to old DT Swiss wheels, they feel very good.