Author Topic: Dengfu HB015 and R13 Frame  (Read 1034 times)

quarkrad

Dengfu HB015 and R13 Frame
« on: July 19, 2024, 07:53:05 AM »
Just unpacked my new Dengfu R13 frame and hb015 handlebars.  Assembled roughly in order to check fittings etc.  I have yet to cut the steerer tube and properly fix the forks to the frame.  Bearings inserted but no grease. So ... next job is too apply grease, cut fork steerer tube, fit headset top cap and tighten everything up.  However, the attached pictures show a gap between the frame and the headset top cover.  Before I do anything do you think this gap will close when I insert the headset compression plug and tighten the whole thing up or does something look wrong?

Fatbonzo

Re: Dengfu HB015 and R13 Frame
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2024, 06:34:16 AM »
for me that looks alright. You just shouldn't have movement after compression.

patliean1

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2024, 10:29:11 AM »
This is pretty typical for budget frames.

If it really bothers you, Cane Creek sells headset bearings that are slightly thinner but identical in diameter. I've done this in the past on my previous builds to close the gap. Just double check the dimensions of your current bearings to confirm compatibility.

Cane Creek 40-Series Bearing Zinc Plated, 52Mm
Item dimensions L x W x H   2.36 x 1.57 x 0.79 inches

Takiyaki

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2024, 06:56:53 PM »
Put the plug in and see. My old Dengfu tightened up nice when I ditched my useless weight weenie plug for one that actually compresses.

xwalkprdx

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2024, 06:49:57 AM »
Did you order wheels from Dengfu at the same time or just the frame? I have a R13 that I built the wheels for separately and I had to dish them off center towards the drive side maybe 3-5mm. Just curious if you notices this or if anyone else has noticed this on other frames? It makes wheel building more challenging.

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2024, 05:21:04 AM »
i prefer plastic spacers because they compress nicely and somehow it just works. i've put 6k km on my LT268 w an airwolf T1000 cockpit that came with all plastic spacers, and havent had headset play at all, and there's just the right amount of gap. I think any of the plastic spacers set for integrated cabling stuff will work, it's all cheap basic plastic, but it works beautifully. i've built 5 bikes like that.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.