Author Topic: Winspace C5 - Build & Thoughts  (Read 1124 times)

NeggieCycle

Winspace C5 - Build & Thoughts
« on: August 07, 2024, 01:40:04 PM »
I have had a Winspace C5 for 3 weeks (700km) now and I thought some of you might be interested in a build log and some of my thoughts.
My previous bike was a Canyon Endurace CF SL8 that developed a crack in the chainstay. I really liked the bike, but I wanted something with a more aggressive geometry.
I'm quite lightweight (62kg) so my experience might not be the same as a heavier person (or more powerful). I like long and climby rides.

These were some of the criteria I had for the frame:
- Preferably T47 or BSA
- Internal cable routing without a D-shaped fork
- Less aggressive than a full-on race bike, more aggressive than my Canyon
- Good/proven quality
- Has to look good
- Separate stem/handlebar
- 32mm tyre clearance

For me, the Winspace Agile was a bit too aggressive, and I didn't see much advantage in the slightly lighter frame. Also, the geo is more aggressive, so I would need more spacers (who doesn't like slammed stems).
The C5 has a BB86 bottom bracket; I'd prefer something threaded, but you can't always get what you want. I also liked the FSA headset; this way I could run the stem and handlebars I wanted.
Because I will be traveling with the frame, I didn't want a one-piece bar and stem. I saw Mapdec recommend the Deda Superbox system, which is compatible with the FSA 1.5-inch steerer system.
FSA uses bearings with a 45x36 angle (supplied with the frame), while the Deda system uses bearings with a 45x45 angle. Luckily, Deda supplies a compression ring that is also compatible with the FSA bearings, so I didn't need to change the bearings.

The frame is supplied with a Token TK299 expander plug, and this is probably a fine expander. But I couldn't get all the play out of the headset. I torqued the Token expander to 4 nm, and there was some play in the headset. I tried a Deda 70 mm expander, and now the play was gone. I think I cut the carbon steerer slightly too long for the Token to get the play out; the minimum distance (between the stem and carbon steerer) for the Token is less than for the Deda, it seems.

Build
- Winspace C5 MM (485)
- 105 Di2, except the crank is Ultegra
- Bikone DCTech BB86-92 Bottom bracket
- Deda Superbox DCR
- Pro Vibe Aero (38 cm) (36 cm would've been nice too, but the Canyon had 42 cm bars, and I didn't want to change too much)
- SQLab 612R Saddle
- Zipp 303S with Erase Road Hubs (the original hubs were extremely bad; bearings wore out very fast) (came from the Canyon)
- Goodyear F1R 32 mm tyres (came from the Canyon)
- BBB BHT-14 bartape
- HideMyBell Raceday DM Garmin mount
- Decathlon bottle cages
- Favero Assioma MX-2 pedals
- CYCEARTH 1.5M/Pack 1.5M Internal Housing Foam Shock Absorber 6mm Bike Hose Shift/Brake/Hydraulic Hose (very cheap, works very well)

The bike weighs 8.4kg with garmin mount, bell, bottle cages and pedals (which are SPD so heavy). This obviously isn't a weight weenie build but for me the weight isn't an issue. I will be looking to upgrade some components in the future to get the weight down (cassette, wheels, cranks).
Building the bike was super easy. I watched Klein Concept's build of the Agile, and you can basically apply everything to the C5. Routing the cables was very easy. The headset bearings and bottom bracket installed easily, the surfaces were smooth. The brake mounts looked like they were taped off properly before painting, i have no issues with brake rub.

Some of my thoughts:

- Electronic shifting is amazing. My mechanical Ultegra worked extremely well, but electronic is something else.
- The Canyon comes with a VCLS flexible seatpost and is very comfortable. I was doubtful that the Winspace would be as comfortable. The Winspace is noticeably stiffer, but it isn't uncomfortable at all. I much prefer the ride feel of the Winspace; it is much more direct, and the power is transferred way more directly. This is especially noticeable when pedaling out of the saddle.

Overall, I'm super happy with the bike. The Canyon feels very flexy compared to it. The comfort is not an issue at all (probably because of the 32 mm tyres). Taking corners and descending is really fun with this bike; it feels like it wants to go fast, while I had to coax the Canyon into going faster.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

repoman

Re: Winspace C5 - Build & Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 08:32:10 PM »
Great looking ride! Love the hubs matched to the gold lettering.  8)

Manfrotto

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2024, 01:46:24 AM »
Here's mine. Only done 200km so far. And mine is just under 8kg

NeggieCycle

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 02:58:36 AM »
Very nice! Happy with those wheels?

Macedingle

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 12:23:42 PM »
Excited to see some C5 builds on the forum. I think the "Endurance" bikes are passed over far to often

NeggieCycle

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2024, 08:38:52 AM »
I agree. Although i'm not sure you could call the C5 really an endurance bike, it's quite a bit lower than the Canyon Endurace which is already at the aggressive end of endurance bikes.

erallen30

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2024, 09:59:00 PM »
Excited to see some C5 builds on the forum. I think the "Endurance" bikes are passed over far to often

Based on the geometry this is not an endurance frame.