Author Topic: Frame for mix road/gravel use possible - SPcycle g056 build  (Read 4765 times)

kubackje

Re: Frame for mix road/gravel use possible?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2024, 12:37:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the good suggestion, I’ll start putting numbers together on the different options. Carbondale would be my first choice without budget constraint but I am not sur I can get there budget wise starting with that frame.
2 wheel set has the most appeal as I would rather not have to swap tires whenever I want to change things. I would think that most of my riding will be gravel but I would like to venture on the road front time to time.
Serge, for sure the roads around Houston are nothing like what we have in France, hard to find quiet country roads, but we do have a nice network of concrete trails, can easy do 60-70km ride without being on busy roads.

If you want a gravel bike that's fast on road then I can recommend same build as I have. Sp cycle g056. I have a fast road bike Scott addict rc pro so I know what a fast bike feels like. My sp cycle with the the setup I have is a weapon on and off road with very fast tires tufo thundero HD 44c. It weighs just 8.5kg. I do all kind of riding on it from single tracks, chunky gravel, smooth gravel to long tarmac rides. I even got few KOMs on tarmac with it. it's fast. But yeah it's a copy of willies jena, when it came out it was considered as s fast gravel bike. My stem -17 and narrow aero handlebars with flare also help me getting into nice aero position. It's not as good in the corners like a  my road bike but hey not many bikes are better then top tier scott.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2024, 03:28:10 PM »
Fair! then from the stuff i know 1st hand, i'd recommend Peter's grevil clone, because you'll still be fast on the road (80-90pc of your riding) and it will still largely feel like a road bike rather than a snail (my VB GF002 feels like a snail on the road), and you can clear 50C. Ofc, either you like the Pinarello vibe of it or you dont. It's turning heads, but it's not for everyone. I plan to make Ferragamo decals, or maybe Pizzaiolo, using Pinarello font - probably i ll end up with pizzaiolo on one side and ferragamo on the other just to troll pinarello.

I'm the lucky winner of the giveaway for this frame.  :)

My current build out plan and feel free to criticize is a 50-34 11-36 105 Di2  group, Elite Carbon wheelset at 45×24 IW rims.  Usage would be 85% road and maybe 10-15% forest paths.  For tires I'm thinking I could get some hilarious lean angles on the road and a plush ridewith either 38c Schwalbe Pro Ones or 35c Conti 5000 AS tires.

Should also have enough volume to handle the light unpaved sections I'd be trying.

My troll name idea in the same font would be Poorfellow. ;)

Ludo

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2024, 10:18:11 AM »
If you want a gravel bike that's fast on road then I can recommend same build as I have. Sp cycle g056. I have a fast road bike Scott addict rc pro so I know what a fast bike feels like. My sp cycle with the the setup I have is a weapon on and off road with very fast tires tufo thundero HD 44c. It weighs just 8.5kg. I do all kind of riding on it from single tracks, chunky gravel, smooth gravel to long tarmac rides. I even got few KOMs on tarmac with it. it's fast. But yeah it's a copy of willies jena, when it came out it was considered as s fast gravel bike. My stem -17 and narrow aero handlebars with flare also help me getting into nice aero position. It's not as good in the corners like a  my road bike but hey not many bikes are better then top tier scott.

Well you sold it, discussing colors with them…

Kactusdog

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2024, 04:26:53 PM »
I have an SPCycle G068 frame coming in soon to build into basically this exact bike. I'll be running a 700c x 32 mm road wheelset and 650b x 52-ish mm gravel wheelset. The frame should be arriving sometime in the next month and will be built up right after I get it, so check the thread for that frame soon.

More generally, I think the prior suggestions for an Aspero copy or all-road bike are good ones if your riding is like 70/30 road/gravel or less, and has a fairly consistent ratio of road to gravel. My riding is more like 40/60 overall, but for any individual ride I can get anywhere from a 50/50 to 10/90 split on surface type (well, 100% road rides aren't hard to achieve but they aren't very appealing); thus, two wheelsets makes sense for my use case where I can choose my riding surface of choice. If this sounds similar to your riding then it might be worth looking into a 2 wheelset solution on a frame with larger tire clearance.

Very nice! This is the bike I am looking to go with next, please let me know how you find the tire clearance... I'm currently on a drop bar Epic HT with 2.2" Racekings. I'll likely keep the front tire, but go tanwall pathfinder 47 in the rear.

Ludo

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2024, 10:49:35 PM »
Shopping cart is loaded for the sales, total before discount is $2100 with two sets of wheels, I may choose to do only one set though as I am not sure how much pure road I would be doing…
For the bar I went for a syncros creston not sure about gravel or road version though. I look at cheaper options but couldn’t find anything really inspiring, so open to suggestions

Serge_K

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2024, 02:49:36 AM »
For the bar I went for a syncros creston not sure about gravel or road version though. I look at cheaper options but couldn’t find anything really inspiring, so open to suggestions

Very, very pleased with the airworlf T1000 bars on Alix for about 100-120 euro. I wouldn't buy a frame from them because the forum is full of horror stories but their cockpits are awesome. I've bought 5.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2024, 05:27:43 AM »
Well you sold it, discussing colors with them…

Can confirm the G056 is fast as hell. I have beat the crap out of it on single track and rocky fire roads and getting PRs on segments I set before covid on the road with the SuperSix I had. FWIW I have Spech Sawtooth tires and a Force AXS compact 2x chainset so I find myself spinning out down hill around 70KPH. This was on a hill with 4% avg and it felt very stable at speed ( https://www.strava.com/segments/25290783 ). It would be even faster on something steep. I love the bike but it IS a size too big for me as I am 6' and SHOULD have bought the medium.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 05:43:22 AM by Daviddavieboy »

Ludo

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2024, 06:00:37 AM »
I am 6 too and they advise large.

kubackje

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2024, 07:05:31 AM »
I am 6 too and they advise large.

I am 187cm and ride large with 110 -17 stem

Ludo

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2024, 08:47:04 AM »
Hmmm, maybe medium wouldn’t be a bad choice then, because your drop is not crazy. First road frame for me, only be on mtb so it’s really a shit in the dark

kubackje

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2024, 08:52:26 AM »
Hmmm, maybe medium wouldn’t be a bad choice then, because your drop is not crazy. First road frame for me, only be on mtb so it’s really a shit in the dark

I run saddle at 76 cm. so pretty low for my height

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2024, 03:24:03 AM »
  For my fit the large is too big. The bike feels to be around a 58 to 59 cm and on my pure road bikes a 56 with a 100 stem is more comfortable. I find when I get my setback right I am too stretched out and with the seat more forward there is too much forward weight and this is with a 90 mm stem/42cm bar combo. I have about 2000 km on the bike now and the bar tape is already worn on the bends of the bar. I think with a 80mm stem length the bike would be about perfect for me and handle even better for off road technical riding. Included a shot from the side to show my set up of the g056 with a 90mm stem but saddle about 1/2 cm too far forward for me. Saddle is a Prologo Scratch Pro standard length. Balance is not perfect but acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 03:25:48 AM by Daviddavieboy »

Ludo

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2024, 06:07:29 AM »
Well the wheel/cassette combination is proving tricky! Mtb cassettes are MS, elite wheels or CSC seem to offer only the road spline for the 700C wheels as I am looking for 45-50mm depth rim. I have question waiting answers to both of them and Yuanan, we’ll see

maza

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2024, 07:24:25 AM »
Well the wheel/cassette combination is proving tricky! Mtb cassettes are MS, elite wheels or CSC seem to offer only the road spline for the 700C wheels as I am looking for 45-50mm depth rim. I have question waiting answers to both of them and Yuanan, we’ll see
Why don't you just buy HG cassette if finding suitable wheels with MS is tricky?

Ludo

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2024, 10:33:25 AM »
That’s what I will end up doing but didn’t find any trusted HG in 10/11 - 40/45 12s  so far