Author Topic: No6 wheels  (Read 3296 times)

James dean

Re: No6 wheels
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2024, 10:00:19 AM »
It straight up is a gravel rim. It's from Farports' gravel line

im familiar with the name farsports but have never used the wheels. Are they any good?

Sakizashi

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2024, 10:38:17 AM »
These generic wheels generally do not have actual aero work done and very few will even show that they did CFD. This might seem marginal, but the even for optimized wheels the aero difference between a 40mm deep wheel and a 80mm one is like <10w at TT speeds. Poor design can easily erase gains that small. A lot of the aero charts also weigh high yaw angles more, overstating their benefits. IMO, there is very little point to buying aero wheels and frames that were not developed with aero in mind. That said, Far Sports is one of the more reputable carbon rim makers that sell DTC. My experience is a few years old and outdated, but I would say Light Bicycle made better rims back then. I've heard good things but have yet to experience the quality of their complete wheels.

toxin

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2024, 05:35:02 AM »
Farsports definitely doesn't do any aero work

OralMaster

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2024, 02:27:54 AM »
the marketing was done extremely well, (pat lino, GC Performance, and lately mike from norcal cycling all received a pair from KG), just like the CRW wheels. They all come from OEM wheels manufacturers based in Xiamen. I can already see similar specs offered on CarbonSpeed. but i must say the decals look really good. Also, guess what no. 6 corresponds to on the periodic table.

Serge_K

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2024, 04:34:10 AM »
These generic wheels generally do not have actual aero work done and very few will even show that they did CFD. This might seem marginal, but the even for optimized wheels the aero difference between a 40mm deep wheel and a 80mm one is like <10w at TT speeds. Poor design can easily erase gains that small. A lot of the aero charts also weigh high yaw angles more, overstating their benefits. IMO, there is very little point to buying aero wheels and frames that were not developed with aero in mind.

Peak Torque has shown there's virtually no difference between modern rims in aero performance: at a given depth, a U shaped rim is a U shaped rim. The deeper you go, the faster you go. The rim can be seen as a spoke shortening device (quoting Silca here), and spokes slow you down, so if you're very light, you could lower the spoke count too. Exposed nipples will be a tad slower.
The rim - tyre interface does matter (105 rule).
The latest nero show on YT references a german site that showed that there's little difference between aero wheels that you can't explain by the specs.
Given that all these factories OEM for big guys, the fact you buy their rims without a logo doesnt mean they're slower than the branded ones.

Also, but that's not aero but general physics, a lighter wheelset will accelerate faster and therefore feel nicer. A stiffer wheelset will feel snappier (usually because of spokes). Don't buy T700 rims, spend a bit more and get full T800, it's really not a big diff. Or buy even better but that may get pricey. Spokes matter. Hubs probably dont matter too much.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

toxin

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2024, 07:03:09 AM »
the marketing was done extremely well, (pat lino, GC Performance, and lately mike from norcal cycling all received a pair from KG), just like the CRW wheels. They all come from OEM wheels manufacturers based in Xiamen. I can already see similar specs offered on CarbonSpeed. but i must say the decals look really good. Also, guess what no. 6 corresponds to on the periodic table.

They are just farsports wheels

James dean

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2024, 01:01:21 PM »
It’s crazy just how many wheel manufacturers are out of xiamen. I can’t really see a lot of differences between all the manufacturers. Most offer the same depths and carbon spokes. Elite for the price I think are great wheels

kubackje

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2024, 01:47:05 PM »
It’s crazy just how many wheel manufacturers are out of xiamen. I can’t really see a lot of differences between all the manufacturers. Most offer the same depths and carbon spokes. Elite for the price I think are great wheels

There are few manufacturers. Rest are just marketing companies that but rims from one of this big factory and out their branding.

toxin

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2024, 02:42:32 PM »
^ yep

James dean

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2024, 04:10:27 PM »
There are few manufacturers. Rest are just marketing companies that but rims from one of this big factory and out their branding.

Crazy the way this industry works

kubackje

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2024, 05:24:26 PM »
Crazy the way this industry works

That's a little winspace shill and winspace also does not own the factory but use one of the big one in xiamen. Winspace just does r&d and give the instructions to the manufacturer. It's funny that those factories produce wheels for like 30 brands and the ladies that make those wheels don't care which wheel they doing, they just get instructions with how carbon layers should be done and that's all.

Actually Yuan an is the company that owns their own factory and do their own r&d and use this in their brand - elite wheels. Of course most of the production is still outsourcing for western brands.

https://youtu.be/tXDAgKx8680?si=ObkeyNzRxUR-O5Ri
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 05:30:45 PM by kubackje »

James dean

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2024, 05:38:47 PM »
That's a little winspace shill and winspace also does not own the factory but use one of the big one in xiamen. Winspace just does r&d and give the instructions to the manufacturer. It's funny that those factories produce wheels for like 30 brands and the ladies that make those wheels don't care which wheel they doing, they just get instructions with how carbon layers should be done and that's all.

Actually Yuan an is the company that owns their own factory and do their own r&d and use this in their brand - elite wheels. Of course most of the production is still outsourcing for western brands.

https://youtu.be/tXDAgKx8680?si=ObkeyNzRxUR-O5Ri

Yeah I have seen that video. It’s great. It’s just like the bikes 3 or 4 majors producing everyone’s bikes.

JonathanSiradj

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2024, 02:51:40 AM »
So I looked at Wheelsfar. Do you know what Hubs No.6 are using? With some coupons you can get the price down to be very close to the Wheelsfar wheels but you get warrenty, crash replacement and pretty sick looking decals.

kubackje

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2024, 03:25:54 AM »
So I looked at Wheelsfar. Do you know what Hubs No.6 are using? With some coupons you can get the price down to be very close to the Wheelsfar wheels but you get warrenty, crash replacement and pretty sick looking decals.

Pretty sure it's the rd270 hub

Serge_K

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2024, 06:09:11 AM »
I saw
Norcal does say paid promotion...
Out of curiosity, I asked Peter from Xiamen Carbon speed for a similar setup to see if these wheels were magical or not. I wont share prices because i've already ordered quite a bit from him so i get special pricing; he can do full T800, 50mm 50mm (D50CU-33), 33/34mm wide (depends where you look on the rim), at 1310g w ceramic bearings, or 1320g w steel bearings (there's a material price difference between ceramic and steel, and i wouldn't buy ceramic myself because i'm yet to see any evidence it saves you even 1W, but i do know for a fact that bearings are more fragile, and last less).

So, given the n6 wheels are 45&50, we're at 1260vs1310, but the price difference is absolutely massive. I wonder how much Norcal is making from each wheelset he sells.
Idk where the 50g difference is, whether it's rim, hub or spokes. But i know that 80+kg me would save my money and accept the 50g penalty...
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.