Author Topic: Bottle cages that actually hold bottles?  (Read 813 times)

mermlundry

Bottle cages that actually hold bottles?
« on: September 05, 2024, 03:52:20 PM »
Any recs on cages (road bike) that won't let bottles fall out? Bought some cheap ones which had good reviews - but lost a bottle twice going over bumps last week. Anyone had good luck with something else?

kbernstein

Re: Bottle cages that actually hold bottles?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 04:01:41 PM »
YMMV really. some people are really prone to dropping bottles while i've never even come close with any combination. it probably depends on the surface of your bottle, some are grippier than others.
i'm using elite fly bottles and the stupid cheap (1.80 for 2) red plastic cages at 36g/pc are fantastic. they come out very easily when i grab them but don't rattle or come loose whatsoever. as long as you get a pair that isn't metal and that has a hook at the 480ml (i think) mark you should be good to go

bremerradkurier

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 04:10:39 PM »
The Arundel Mandible clones have been good to me with no drops on cages that are 4-5 years old.

soloconjotto

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 04:48:27 PM »
I use carbon bottle cages..I am not sure if they are real Bontrager or not, but the packaging was indeed perfect like it's a real Bontrager. They hold my bottles well, are a bit more expensive but the weight is awesome.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLEVc1E

mcs5280

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 05:20:23 PM »
Any recs on cages (road bike) that won't let bottles fall out? Bought some cheap ones which had good reviews - but lost a bottle twice going over bumps last week. Anyone had good luck with something else?

I've never lost a bottle from a Lezyne Flow SL cage, including a ton of really rough MTB descents. Run them on all my bikes. I would look for a copy of that or just get the original.

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 07:28:21 PM »
I use those cheap a$$ plastic West Biking bottle cages for my road bikes and I use AliEx magnetic wattle bottles+magnetic holder for my gravel bike (SoCal dirt scratches bottles like crazy in traditional cages).

kanuto

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 09:38:07 PM »
I have been using the ODI titanium bottle cage for 2 seasons now. Never lose a bottle with them. From 500ml-1000ml bottles all good.

armada

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2024, 01:14:15 AM »
I am using the Zee Cage 2 on all my bikes with specialized purist bottles. Havent lost a bottle on MTB/Gravel or road. And its availiable in left and right.

https://www.bike24.com/p2366229.html

PLA

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2024, 04:19:56 AM »
Elite custom race plus are grippy af
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

pushpush

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2024, 11:52:29 AM »
I am using the Zee Cage 2 on all my bikes with specialized purist bottles. Havent lost a bottle on MTB/Gravel or road. And its availiable in left and right.

https://www.bike24.com/p2366229.html

The Zee Cage 2 (mtb) and the Tune Wasserträger 2.0 (road) cages are the only 2 cages I've used that have been 100% reliable. Every other cage has ejected a bottle at some point. Road and MTB both. I don't care at all if cages scratch and mark up my bottles. In fact, I lightly sand the outside of my bottles when they are new to create a rougher surface that better grips the cage. Function first. Style second.

For mtb rides I know will be aggressive time attacks I don't even use cages anymore. I use a hydration pack instead because it is 100% reliable under all conditions.

kubackje

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2024, 05:25:34 AM »
I use ZIKO RaceOne bottle holders. They are also Italian like elite but cheaper and better looking imo. They're like 7€
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 05:27:21 AM by kubackje »