Author Topic: newbie Q: Riro carbon road crankset compatible with T47 BB?  (Read 563 times)

kwantani

newbie Q: Riro carbon road crankset compatible with T47 BB?
« on: September 05, 2024, 04:55:38 PM »
newbie Q: I've a new frameset that has T47 BB spec. My current bike is running Aliexpress Riro carbon road crankset (3 pieces), will it works?

I just need a new T47 BB? correct?

coffeebreak

Re: newbie Q: Riro carbon road crankset compatible with T47 BB?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 05:17:01 PM »
Yes. If your crankset is 24mm spindle, you need T47 BB with 24mm bearings (or reducer) to make it compatible with your crank. If you search Wheels mgf and others have T47 BBs for virtually any crankset spindle size. The other thing to note is there are two standards for T47 -inboard and outboard. If your bike's BB shell is 68/73mm you need T47 outboard with 24mm bearings. If your BB shell is 86.5mm you need T47 inboard with 24mm bearings.

If your crankset is 29mm spindle, you need T47 for DUB with rest of the things remaining the same as above.

E.g. WM T47 BB for 24mm spindle and 68mm shell : https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/t47/t47-outboard-angular-contact-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2024, 05:45:48 AM »
bottom brackets are infinitely annoying.
There's the size of the shell (here, T47), the size of the bearings / size of the spindle (here, 24mm, I assume, which is the standard for all of Shimano cranks), and the width of the shell (different between road, MTB, and sometimes it's an issue with gravel bikes). And ofc whether it's press fit or threaded. Afaik, T47 is only threaded, never PF. And to complicate things further, there are PF BB that are 2 halves that thread together inside the frame, making that a... threaded PF? PF threaded? Frankenstein.
And that's before worrying about the kind of bearing that's inside (steel, ceramic, branded / unbranded...). You can stay away from ceramic bearings, they make no sense for cycling applications, cost more, and last less.
You will need to worry about the tool to use to install it, and sometimes, the tool can install it, but not remove it, so that's yet another thing to consider.... Because you have threads on the T47, it should be simpler to install and remove than a PF one. Some BB manufacturers come up with their own plastic shell "teeth", and so sometimes you have to buy their tool, unless you can find an aliexpress version.

So, if you buy the wrong one, dont worry, it's part of the process :)
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Ludo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2024, 07:41:30 AM »
You make the hobby sound so much fun Serge! lol