Author Topic: Affordable lightweight frameset (not Winspace SLC 3)  (Read 1624 times)

tisun

Affordable lightweight frameset (not Winspace SLC 3)
« on: September 30, 2024, 02:10:34 PM »
I bought a Fuji Elite SL frameset in 2016 for $1500.  Its weight was 695g.  Loved that bike. It climbed up hills effortless.

Now, I want to build a new ultra lightweight bike to replace it.  I know with today technologies, best climbing bikes aren't all about weight, but it is still a major factor to consider, at least for me.

I was looking at Winspace SLC 3 frame.  It checked all my boxes except the price.  It's steep for a non-major bike brand.  I'm seeking for an alternative.  LightCarbon LCR017-D looked good until I saw the cheese-like internal material.

What are your suggestions for a lightweight, stiff, power transfer efficient frame? 

patliean1

Re: Affordable lightweight frameset (not Winspace SLC 3)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2024, 02:32:38 PM »
$1500 in 2016, adjusted for inflation, is $2000 in 2024. Giant is currently offering the TCR frameset $2100 USD.

Lightweight, stiff, power transfer efficient frame (whatever this means), and sold by a major bike brand.

Problem solved.

rasch

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 03:23:09 PM »
I agree with the comment above. If you can afford go for it.
As regards LC, that's just one sample. Don't judge the brand/model by one example. You have 30 other people who bought it and went perfectly fine. Can happen with big named brands too.

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 06:18:43 PM »
Based on people who posted on that thread, the ratio of issues va non issue is definitely not 30:1. More like 5:1.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

JayBee

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2024, 06:44:11 PM »
I’d like to piggyback off of the OP and probe the experienced folks thinking and experience further. I’m also really keen to build a lightweight climbing bike (currently strongly considering the ICAN FL1).

I’ve only ever owned western brands (your specialized, cannondales, giants) and never built a bike before but am really drawn by the idea of spending 1/3 on this frameset in comparison to a giant tcr. I’m also somewhat interested in building a bike for first time (what else am I going to do during the cold Canadian winter?) I could afford the tcr but would gladly put the money elsewhere.

So my question here: is the tcr and all that entails (warranty, buy locally, etc) a better value than something like the ICAN or some other direct-from-China climbing frame?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 09:25:17 PM by JayBee »

Nomuetze

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2024, 01:38:35 AM »
How about (if you can stand the branding) Bigrock Sohtea Superlight …?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2024, 02:42:03 AM »
I think someone has done all the research for you already:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=175073

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2024, 03:02:53 AM »
Brands command a premium, for what benefit?

With Giant being the exception (a brand that owns / is the factories), you have factories that make frames for brands, and brands distribute and sell. Each layer needs to eat. The further away from China, the more expensive the layer, and the less relevant (carbon bike market is now so commoditized with all frames looking the same and within 5w of each other). Therefore, the closer to the factory, the better the value & the less bullsh1t.

It is telling that Pinarello has frames made in china and they paint them in Italy. You can get real custom... because of the paint. Factor is the same: their frame looks open mould, but you get to really tune... the paint.

There's something to be said about where the expertise really lies. Take carbon layup. Is it Specialized that's really the expert, or Specialized suppliers? I dont have the answer, but it's important when thinking about light frames: as of now, T700 is ghetto. T800 is the gold standard, most legit carbon things are made with it. And then you go into fancy territory, with T1000, T1100, and increasingly, you see exotic things like M30, M40, and others. As brands brand (ie differentiate), there's also the question of how much a brand is making shit up (what does specialized's Fact carbon actually mean? Ditto with Pinarello's different carbon tiers). T1000 is "known" (rumoured?) to cost about 2x T800, so you will NOT see a frame made with T1000 for $500. If T1000 and $500 are seen on the same page, it means they (at best) INCLUDE T1000 in the frame, but it could be 1% - obviously, that's unregulated, Chinese are known to basically lie, and, maybe most importantly, you can't test it yourself -. The biggest benefit of higher tiers is you can use less of it for the same strength, so frames get lighter.

And so, you're left with the usual questions:
- Do you want to pay extra for a brand? The Chinese market now has brands, including Specialized equivalent brands (ie social media fluff fest). As a westerner, i'd say buying a Chinese brand is the worst choice possible: you pay a premium, but you're not in China, so you can't flex at the cafe your branded bigcock frame that nobody knows, and you can't lean on the bigcock bike shop for help / maintenance / support / warranty / i spent money here please be make me feel important and refer to me as your lordship.
- If you buy a western brand, (1) you (usually) get to rely on your local LBS, (2) you get a frame that's been QCed (questionable truth), (3) and if you buy something high end, you buy a vibe around layup technology, ride properties, the secret sauce that makes it so that when you jump on a specialized, your hair grows back, your biceps get more defined, and the ladies look at you like "ooh myyyy". (3) goes back to my point above on who actually has the layup know how.

So, a rational actor will wonder: how much more over an equivalent spec (features & weight) OEM frame am i willing to spend to benefit from 1-2-3?
- If you buy an OEM frame, you have to trust that (A) the factory / broker actually exists (people on this forum still using paypal insurance scheme to send money to Farsports is money down the drain, as far as i'm concerned), (B) they will ship you what you ordered (when Airwolf on Aliexpress sells you a frame for 12 dollars made of full T1100, spoiler alert, they're lying), (C) they will ship you a frame that's not a dog, and that's been QCed enough (Light carbon shipping cheese, Tavelo with undersized BBs whose shells crack during install, and all the horror stories you can find on here with Airwolf, tantan, workswell, and so on).
- On (C), because a seller will usually tell you not to worry, then ship you swiss cheese anyway, you have to factor in an element of risk: more often than not, seller A (after careful consideration on your part to choose that seller) will ship good frames, but occasionally, they will fuck up, at which point you need to be qualified enough to understand where they fucked up, and complain. Also, let's be honest, in many instances, people complaining about frames is USER ERROR, or such trivial niggles that the factory should indeed ignore the noises you make. And you have to complain loud enough, to a seller that is honest enough / has enough of an incentive to listen and help.

And so, this forum is invaluable in helping identify (a) where the value is, (b) good sellers, (c) and bad ones.

For light frames, it depends on what you deem light (and what tyre clearance you need). A lot of 2024 frames are around or below 1000g in Medium (starting with the Velobuild 268, which really is the standard of value). SP Cycle claims a 880g frame (30C, R025-SL), Yishun has an endurance frame at 900g, Long Teng claims their chonky boy 301 is 980g. I havent mapped out the lighter side of the market, because i'm over 80kg myself, but i would say: reach out to OEM with a good reputation on this forum, ideally order 2 frames and build 1 for a friend (or more), as you will command better care and attention, ask questions, accept the risk that no matter what you do, you may have problems to solve, but deal with someone who will more likely than not agree to help you rather than ghost you, and have fun.

Or buy a Giant TCR, ofc, once you've swallowed the upfront cost, rarely do people regret buying a branded frame.

Notes:
- on light carbon, recent precedents make them look bad (1 example of awful cheese carbon, 1 example of a down tube you could deform by hand, off the top of my head, but they generally have great reputation, and they're linked to Yishun (if i'm not mistaken), which also has great reputation.
- on tantan, plenty of people report horror stories, but they also OEM for big brands, and they are huge (assuming a constant error rate, the bigger you are, the more errors). As such, and because perfection is an ideal, nor a reality, they're probably still a good counterpart.
- Airwolf has an error rate so high it makes errors part of who they are, so you probably dont want to buy frames from them. But i've been buying cockpits from them, and i love their cockpits. So even that is more nuanced than just "avoid airwolf"

What do i know? I've been riding bikes for a long time, most of my friends ride bikes and many of them are champions, and i've built 9 chinese bikes in the last 2y.

These opinions are my own and as a matter of course, i tend to agree with what i say, which doesn't make it truth.

Ludo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2024, 06:33:29 AM »
Serge, you must have killed in in philosophy classes!

tisun

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2024, 09:14:18 AM »
$1500 in 2016, adjusted for inflation, is $2000 in 2024. Giant is currently offering the TCR frameset $2100 USD.

Lightweight, stiff, power transfer efficient frame (whatever this means), and sold by a major bike brand.

Problem solved.

Patrick, thanks for the recommendation, but that's also the dilemma/problem: I can easily avoid buying Chinese brand names by just pumping my budget a little more and get a Cervelo Soloist or Giant TCR frame.  is there a more affordable way to achieve the same goal?  Patrick, btw, I love your review of Winspace SLC 3 YT video, didn't know that was you though, haha.

Serge_K, wow, what a post, great thanks.  I weigh 145 lbs, so my preference is always ultra light bike.  I'm building my sub 22 lbs XC mtb for under $4k right now.  If I can build a sub 15 lbs road biike, that would be paradise for me.  The key here is I won't break my bank in the process.

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2024, 11:46:51 AM »
I say just get a mid-level frameset that's between 700-800g and an ultra lightweight wheelset for like 1100g or less. That's one area where the cost/weight ratio wins out over mainstream brands. For routine climbers, I almost feel like the wheelset is more important. To me a lot of the crit bro science like wider tires, etc. doesn't really translate well once the elevation gets steeper.

patliean1

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2024, 02:49:24 PM »
- On (C), because a seller will usually tell you not to worry, then ship you swiss cheese anyway, you have to factor in an element of risk:

This is gonna be the reoccurring joke for 2025. Same way PLA was calling the Elves Falath Evo a "LARP of a bike."  ;D

"Did I receive a Hambini special?" No.
"Did I receive the swiss cheese special instead?" Yes.

Sakizashi

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2024, 10:42:33 PM »
If weight is your goal and you don’t mind exposed cabling, for $2k-$2.2K you should be able to find an Aethos or even a 2024 TCR Advanced SL. I think both of these would build up lighter than any of the Chinese brand or open mold frames except for the BigRock Sothea Team, which according, to Panda Podium, about the same weight as the Aethos in a size 56 as well as similar priced—though you would get internal cable routing. I think stepping down to something like the ICAN FL1 could make sense too as it would add 150-200g? But would save over $1K USD. If I had the money, I probably would get one of the branded frames, unless the difference freed up budget for nicer wheels.

The wheels I have my eye on are the Light Bicycle Ar25 built with Nonplus Hubs and Alpine Hyperlight Aero spokes. For ~$1600 its a 900g wheelset, so probably a better place to spend money to save weight than the frame.

If you also look carefully you should be able to find an Ekar group relatively cheap. Shifters and RD were going for ~$200 during the pros closet sale and some of those are bound to be flipped on ebay soon, so that could be a cost effective way to save some weight as those are pretty light groups, only ~100g heavier than the lightest group i know of, 11spd DA Di2.

Edit: I just realized that it looks like some of the text from ciclisti.cc is copy and pasted from Panda Podium. Ugh.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 10:58:51 PM by Sakizashi »

Serge_K

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2024, 03:07:24 AM »
I weigh 145 lbs, so my preference is always ultra light bike.  I'm building my sub 22 lbs XC mtb for under $4k right now.  If I can build a sub 15 lbs road biike, that would be paradise for me.  The key here is I won't break my bank in the process.

I would suggest you look at the forum for names of factories, oems, sellers, brokers, see what they offer on the lighter end of things, and report here. I'm rather curious myself, and i think we'd be happy to opine on the pros and cons of the options you identify.
From the top of my head, velobuild, workswell, seraph-tantan, speeder, flybike - carbonda, long teng, yishun - light carbon, haidelibikes - tideace - SP cycle, Miracle, adapt-bikes, dengfu, winow, airwolf/yaoflying.
That's not meant to be exhaustive, and that's avoiding the obvious pseudo brands like ICAN and yoeleo that simply repaint $500 frames for a (large) fee.

And if you happen to have a MOQ of 5 for certain options, or something like that, let's chat.

OralMaster

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2024, 03:53:33 AM »
https://www.allstarobm.com/scott-road-disc-frameset-addict-rc-pro-disk-bicycle-bike-frame-p4646676.html

hello boss,

please buy chinese aethos. beautiful bicycle ride to coffee shop many friends asking, wow so nice but why no cable and where buy? you tell them spare-sir-rice make this for you only! they go WOW! now you local legend!