Author Topic: Where do you get your custom decals?  (Read 441 times)

Takiyaki

Where do you get your custom decals?
« on: October 04, 2024, 08:32:45 AM »
I have a concept for decals for my next build (and thankfully am married to a graphic designer) and I want to get them printed out. Don't know how to describe it- rainbow chrome?

And I want adhesives that won't destroy my paint + would be easy to remove if I change my mind. TIA

boxof13

Re: Where do you get your custom decals?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 08:58:13 AM »
I bought myself a vinyl cutter (LOKLIK) and have been using those exact rainbow vinyl. Ended up using the cutter for other miscellaneous stuff at home. If you can find any second hand or inexpensive one, that would be worth the investment.

Ludo

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2024, 09:03:19 AM »
I bought a cheap cricut machine, you can make them yourself. Good enough for what I wanted to do. On bigger sticker it is fine, on smaller stuff it struggles a bit more
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 09:45:09 AM by Ludo »

Takiyaki

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2024, 11:40:36 AM »
Those machines are just outside what I'm willing to pay. I guess if the cost of custom decals is comparable I will pick one up.

Other thing is the design I have in mind has some small details that I'm not sure the cutters can get.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2024, 11:42:29 AM »
I use inkscape (free, plenty of online tutorials), found a guy locally to cut my logo in oracal vinyl (the car grade vinyl that's UV resistant). The stuff is amazing. And it was cheap.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Ludo

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2024, 01:39:03 PM »
Those machines are just outside what I'm willing to pay. I guess if the cost of custom decals is comparable I will pick one up.

Other thing is the design I have in mind has some small details that I'm not sure the cutters can get.
I paid less than 100$ for mine

Ludo

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2024, 04:19:11 PM »
I use inkscape (free, plenty of online tutorials), found a guy locally to cut my logo in oracal vinyl (the car grade vinyl that's UV resistant). The stuff is amazing. And it was cheap.

Nothing is cheap in Us. Got quoted around 50$ for sticking up my mtb frame. I bought a used cricut as it was a more economical option, cost me $10 worth of materials and I can do a bunch of other stickers for my kids with what’s left

Takiyaki

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2024, 05:11:32 PM »
Im gonna get quotes and go from there. Even with young kids I don't see myself getting much use out of a cricut machine.

Serge_K

« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:51:41 AM »
If you are willing to use masking tape and a ruler to re align logo letters before applying them (so I can cut down a given logo into a small letter format, I can get my Bucharest guy to cut anyone logos and mail them in a normal letter. That can't cost more than a couple of bucks in stamps? (I actually have no idea but letters are supposed to be cheap). The printing costs under 20 EUR for an entire bike using high end oracal vinyl.
Btw, have your guys checked AliExpress? They have to offer the service. And one of my logos , I should add, I cut myself with AliExpress vinyl, and it's survived months just as well (I just trust the car stuff better).
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Takiyaki

« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:18:31 AM »
Im looking for a brain dead solution. For example when I put racing numbers on my motorcycle, all I had to do was align them. With these logos I would even want all the letters/elements pre-aligned.

Hey you know what............ could one of you guys with a cricut machine print and send it to me? Obviously I will pay for materials/time/shipping.