Author Topic: Workswell WCB-M-062  (Read 234172 times)

RS VR6

Re: Workswell WCB-M-062?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
Not too sure how I feel about these new "slack" XC bikes...not sure if its just more marketing to sell more bikes. My current ride has a 71.5 HTA, and to me it feels quite stable. The steering is fairly neutral. My Pivot has a ~68 HTA...and I don't really like it...at least not for responsiveness...good for going straight. The steering feels a bit sluggish and front end feels more flip floppy.

If you're trying to build a AM hardtail...I'd go with a frame that is designed for a long travel fork and a ~66 HTA.

This frame is just about a carbon (see what I did there?) copy of the 2015 Stumpjumper HT. The Stumpy comes with a 71 HTA and a 90mm fork. If you run a 120mm fork...you should be able to get the HTA to about 69 degrees. Mind that when you increase the travel...you're also increasing the bottom bracket height.

t51rmkiv

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
I like how you summed up the carbon explanation, clever :) My frame of choice coincidently is a Pivot Les but I can't swallow the $2000 entry for the frame. I've ridden the LES and really like the handling. Some other bikes that I really liked outside the realm of standard 70+ head angles with 17.5+ chain-stay lengths have been the Dback Mason and the Scott Scale in terms of hardtails. I would say 80% of my riding however is/has been on a single speed. This sounds weird but I've found the single speed is easier to ride then all my full suspension bikes, Scalpel Ultimate and Trek Superfly (Both now sold). Even funnier is that I ride to maximize momentum because I'm lazy. I don't want to pedal if I don't have to and try my best to carry as much speed into climbs so I don't have to stand and grind. Also, I find it easier to stand and mash then sit and spin.

Getting back to the geo numbers, for my riding style its easier to push the rear end out with a-little body English having a shorter rear end. The slacker head angle affords a more upright sitting position which for me is ideal rather then partially weighting the front end with steeper angles.

I don't have any experience on 26inch bikes and never had a roadbike prior to just recently to offer comparisons. Im still considering the frame despite not having the ability to run an angle reducing headset. Hoping that 120 fork with 55mm offset will provide the front end angles for an acceptable upright seating position. Nice that the frame is under $500 shipped.

Not too sure how I feel about these new "slack" XC bikes...not sure if its just more marketing to sell more bikes. My current ride has a 71.5 HTA, and to me it feels quite stable. The steering is fairly neutral. My Pivot has a ~68 HTA...and I don't really like it...at least not for responsiveness...good for going straight. The steering feels a bit sluggish and front end feels more flip floppy.

If you're trying to build a AM hardtail...I'd go with a frame that is designed for a long travel fork and a ~66 HTA.

This frame is just about a carbon (see what I did there?) copy of the 2015 Stumpjumper HT. The Stumpy comes with a 71 HTA and a 90mm fork. If you run a 120mm fork...you should be able to get the HTA to about 69 degrees. Mind that when you increase the travel...you're also increasing the bottom bracket height.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:25:15 AM by t51rmkiv »

RS VR6

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
You can try the 062 with a 120mm fork, some wide rims and 2.4 tires in the front. Make your own "Evo" model. ;D

t51rmkiv

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
Thats the plan right after you post your thoughts ;D

JohnnyNT

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:21 AM »
I'm really curious to see the real weight of this frame, might just pull the trigger instead of 256 if it's nice.

RS VR6

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 03:26:20 AM »
Wow...these guys are slow to ship. Its been 7+ days since I paid...they said it'll be another 2 to 3 days before they ship.

nsfr1206

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
Wow...these guys are slow to ship. Its been 7+ days since I paid...they said it'll be another 2 to 3 days before they ship.

I know it hasn't been long but any updates? I want you to see yours before I order mine.  :)

RS VR6

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
They still haven't shipped. I paid on March 29th.

I got this message after I asked when they are shipping.

"I will give you a very actual message on next Monday.

Thank you !"

I just think that they didn't have a frame to ship when I bought it. I'm crossing my fingers that the frame comes to me the way I asked.

RS VR6

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »
Sooooo...I finally got my frame. Ordered March 31st and got it today April 22nd.

Box arrived in pretty good condition (compared to what I saw in the 27.5 forum on MTBR). Frame was thoroughly wrapped.

My frame is a 17in, BSA BB, standard QR.

Frame weighs in at 2.45lbs (1111gr) on my eBay scale. If you got a PF30...it'll be a bit lighter. Just the bare frame no seatclamp or headset.

What did surprise me that it also came with the 142 dropouts and axle.

The openings for the brake hose look rough. You can see that in the headtube pic. Rest of the frame looks clean. The BSA looks clean and flush. Dropouts look clean, the cover under the BB fit nice and even. Peeking inside the headtube...it looks nice and clean too. You can see the 3k carbon. Inside of the frame looks nice and smooth.

Here is my build list.

Fork: Fox Float 32 CTD FiT 100mm
Bar: Niner RDO 710mm
Grips: ESI Chunky
Stem: Syntace Flatforce 66mm
Seatpost: Syntace P6 HiFlex
Seat clamp: Loaded
Saddle: Specialized Phenom Pro
Brakes: Shimano XT M785
Rotors: Ashima Ai2 180/160
Wheels: Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 v2
Tires: Specialized S-Works Ground Control 2.3 front/Ground Control 2.2 rear
Crank: SRAM XX1 GXP 170mm
Chainring: Ridea SXX1 oval
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP
Pedals: Crank Bros Eggbeater 3
Shifter: SRAM X0
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X0 Type 2 mid cage
Cassette: Response 11-42 10 speed
Chain: Shimano XT
Shifter Cable/Housing: Nokon
Brake lever/shifter integration: Trickstuff Matshi
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:06:25 PM by RS VR6 »

RS VR6

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
Here is how it was wrapped. I unraveled some of the foam before I took the pic. It was wrapped real tight.

carbonazza

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
I would try all of this:
Either guide it with fingers, from the bottom hatch you seem to have.

Or may be there are some holes in the BB (like the 256) that helps guide it at the top of the BB.
Or maybe there is an inner hose (like the 057?).

You can as well, first use a steel cable inside, guiding it with a magnet, it works quite well.
And then attach the hose to that cable and pull it inside the frame.

Or if nothing works, contact the vendor to know how it is supposed to work.

RS VR6

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »
I looked again and stuck a piece of cable housing through the hole. Apparently there is a path molded into the chainstay for the brake like. So I need to feed the brake hose from the head tube. I'll see if I can get a pic of the hose on the headtube side of the hose hole.

Here is a pic of the cable routing under the bottom bracket. Looks like you would run the whole cable housing through the frame. So no bare cables inside the frame. The upper hole is for the rear derailleur housing and the lower is for the brake hose. The right side is completely open. You can see through to the headtube. Interestingly...I don't see a hole for the front derailleur...but there is a small opening behind the seat tube. Small enough for a cable to pass through.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:55:50 PM by RS VR6 »

t51rmkiv

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 09:18:53 PM »
Its about time you received your frame! What is your time frame for build completion?

RS VR6

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 12:32:55 AM »
Serious!

I'm going to start swapping parts over slowly and hopefully be done by the weekend.

Lol...going to get some Korean BBQ to top off the build. ;D

t51rmkiv

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
He'll yea... Pop, Kogi, and gochujang for the win