Author Topic: Cyclocross frames - disc brakes on chain stay or seat stay?  (Read 8380 times)

davidriddel

Cyclocross frames - disc brakes on chain stay or seat stay?
« on: March 26, 2015, 11:33:14 PM »
G'day,

Whilst looking at the cyclocross frame options, one of the differences that I have noticed is the positioning of the mounts for the disc brake calipers.

From looking at their website images, Yoeleo, XMiPlay, Flyxii appear to mount to the chain stay, whilst Dengfu and Hongfu appear to mount to the seat stay.

Any opinions which would be better?

I tend to think that chain stay would be better due to the increased cross-section of the frame at that point, and the instant torque which would be generated at the opposite end of the stay against the seat tube (in the vicinity of the bottom bracket for chain stay mount vs top of the seat tube for the seat stay mount).

N+2 change my Al CX to C
Also - Yoeleo 650B Dually YCMSF10 and Cyclocross for daughter
Progressively changing all family bikes to carbon-my effort to sequester China's carbon for climate change

cmh

Re: Cyclocross frames - disc brakes on chain stay or seat stay?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:55:32 AM »
I tend to think that chain stay would be better due to the increased cross-section of the frame at that point, and the instant torque which would be generated at the opposite end of the stay against the seat tube (in the vicinity of the bottom bracket for chain stay mount vs top of the seat tube for the seat stay mount).

I think that's exactly why chainstay mounting has been more common lately, but seat stay mounting has been around for a while, so either would work well if the frame is properly designed.

Personally I think the chainstay mount looks cleaner, but the doesn't contribute to function at all.

Andy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
I agree I think the seat stay mounted brakes just look crappy....almost like an afterthought once the frame was built.  The chain stay mounted brakes just look so much cleaner, 
Andy. :)
IP036
LTK023

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:03:24 AM »
Chainstay mounting of the brake caliper just makes more sense to me, larger cross section of the frame there, cleaner brake line routing, possibly better orientation of the caliper for bleeding air out of the system.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

davidriddel

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »
OK - 4 from 4 opinions are say chain stay.  I think that I am sold!  ;-)

Cheers!
N+2 change my Al CX to C
Also - Yoeleo 650B Dually YCMSF10 and Cyclocross for daughter
Progressively changing all family bikes to carbon-my effort to sequester China's carbon for climate change