Author Topic: New bike rack - Saris Freedom Rack  (Read 7169 times)

Carbon_Dude

New bike rack - Saris Freedom Rack
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
A few weeks ago I purchased a new rack for my Chiners.  My old rack hung my bikes by the frame and I got really tired of using straps and such to secure the bikes.  I use my wife's 2004 Honda CR-V to haul my bike to the trail so I decided I wanted to stick with a spare tire rack if possible.  My old bike rack worked well mounting to the spare tire, it was easy to install and remove, didn't touch the paint on the car, was light weight, and was inexpensive.

I looked at several platform style racks but they all required my to install a trailer hitch on the car which to me was additional expense and would only be used to hold the bike rack as I've never needed a hitch on the CR-V for anything in the 10 years we've owned it.

Low and behold, Saris just came out with a relatively inexpensive ($189+free shipping) platform rack that mounts to my spare tire.  Here is a link to the Saris website:  http://www.saris.com/product/freedom-spare-tire.  So I ordered one to find out how I would like it.  Well, it works great and holds two bike securely.  Loading and unloading a bike is a snap, just three ratcheting straps.  Installing and removing the rack also only takes about 2 minutes.  The Saris Freedom rack is also available in hitch mount as well but for me this worked just as well and I didn't need to install a hitch. 

So far the rack is working great.  Boom the rack is on, bike is on and I'm hitting the trail!

P.S.  - It's made in the USA :).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:51:13 PM by Carbon_Dude »

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTB2223

Re: New bike rack - Saris Freedom Rack
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »
I've got this one, Spinder Hawk for three bike (we started with a two bike version (on the picture)):

I don't like the idea to put the clamp onto the frame. With this rack, I can put the clamp onto the seatpost (much cheaper to replace when it's damage).
Bought the three bike version on the second-hand market for 75 euro (97 USD).

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
I see the clamp on your rack looks to hold the bike a bit differently on the seat tube, and the clamp does not seem to be very friendly to the frame.  The Saris holds on the down tube with a soft silicon rubber cradle and strap that does not leave any marks on the frame.  Saris did a nice job with this rack and I though I would show it off a bit.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

ovlaicu

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »
I know it requires a hitch, but this is my favorite so far.  http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikrackblackdouble.html

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
I know it requires a hitch, but this is my favorite so far.  http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikrackblackdouble.html

For that price, I'd go with a Kuat rack.  Very high quality system.
http://kuatracks.com/en/

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »
What I really need is an unobstructed, dedicated space in the garage to hang the rack...

I got the Swagman, with 'hoops' that the tires sit in and a hook that snugs down on the top tube.
http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-4-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B000GKN45C/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1416011829&sr=8-16&keywords=4+bike+hitch+rack
Everything is adjustable- you can move the tire mounts side to side to fit any size bike or to make them fit together better.  The hook has a foam cover but it still rubs a bit due to vibration.  I just put a sticker where it contacts the top tube on mine, and dont worry about the kids bikes.

cmh

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »
What's a bike rack? I've got a Honda Element and can fit three bikes in the back with one of the back seats down. My wife's bike (medium Scott Scale 29er) fits without even taking the wheel off.  ;D

bdub

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 05:51:05 PM »
What I really need is an unobstructed, dedicated space in the garage to hang the rack...

I got the Swagman, with 'hoops' that the tires sit in and a hook that snugs down on the top tube.
http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-4-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B000GKN45C/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1416011829&sr=8-16&keywords=4+bike+hitch+rack
Everything is adjustable- you can move the tire mounts side to side to fit any size bike or to make them fit together better.  The hook has a foam cover but it still rubs a bit due to vibration.  I just put a sticker where it contacts the top tube on mine, and dont worry about the kids bikes.

Thinking about buying this rack. Are you still liking it Patrick C, think it's worth the money?

Digi

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
I got this one and am very happy with it...Folds up compact, holds your bikes tight, is sturdy (with a threaded trailer hitch screw), is relatively light, has basic locking mechanisms on the hitch insert & bike mounts, and is affordable.  It also comes in a 4 bike version.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1122106_-1_400170__400170

TransIt Flatbed 2-bike hitch rack

Patrick C.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 12:53:26 PM »
Bdub, sorry I missed your post!  Yes, still very happy with the Swagman rack.  It's easy for my wife to use it as well, since you only have to lift the bikes about 2 feet off the ground- she's got a big, stretched out cruiser bike that is large and awkward to lift.

bdub

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
Bdub, sorry I missed your post!  Yes, still very happy with the Swagman rack.  It's easy for my wife to use it as well, since you only have to lift the bikes about 2 feet off the ground- she's got a big, stretched out cruiser bike that is large and awkward to lift.

Cool glad you still like it. I decided to go with a Hollywood Rack, basically the same as the Swagman but has the ability to tilt back so you can open the back of our SUV.

Patrick C.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
I did a Google image search for Hollywood rack, and was quite disappointed by the results :)

Which one did you get?  Their 4 bike rack looks good- I really like that you can take off half of it when you only need to carry one or two bikes. 

bdub

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »
I did a Google image search for Hollywood rack, and was quite disappointed by the results :)

Which one did you get?  Their 4 bike rack looks good- I really like that you can take off half of it when you only need to carry one or two bikes.

haha maybe turn safe search off ;)

I purchased the Sport Rider SE2 for the exact reason of being able to remove half of it. The only time I ever need to carry 4 bikes is when I am taking the kids bikes and that doesn't happen to often. It's heavy and probably not as convenient as the the Yakima or other really expensive ones but there is no way in hell I am spending over $500 on a bike rack.