Author Topic: Let's talk disc brake road bikes  (Read 28820 times)

aldsfkjw3421

Re: Let's talk disc brake road bikes
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 05:22:24 PM »
CS-092 SL frame in 56cm could be ordered to customize and book now.

Attached revised geometry for reference.

That's an awesome looking frame.  I'm in the market for a carbon disc frame but I don't like how cheap the fork hydraulic hose routing looks on a lot of chinese frames out there.  Can you take pictures of the fork and frame on the non-drive side and post them? 

Thanks Peter.

aldsfkjw3421

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Peter, does this frame use the shimano flat mount standard?

Joelk

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2015, 09:20:09 AM »
I have been emailing with Peter about ordering a 92sl.  I just have to figure out which rims I want to get (as I don't really want brake tracks on a disc brake bike),  and make a few more parts choices.

As the frame will be made to order (approx 45 days) I may just order the frame and get everything else sorted out while I wait.

cmh

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »
I have been emailing with Peter about ordering a 92sl.  I just have to figure out which rims I want to get (as I don't really want brake tracks on a disc brake bike),  and make a few more parts choices.

As the frame will be made to order (approx 45 days) I may just order the frame and get everything else sorted out while I wait.

I've gotta say - the new FHR928C offset rims look sweet - 360g, offset for better spoke tension balance, decently wide for 'cross use. I contacted Peter about prices, forget the exact number but I was really happy with it. Still recovering from the Epic purchase, and then I think I want to build a pair of those on a spare set of American Classic hubs that I have for a _sweet_ lightweight XC/'cross wheelset.

Obviously, I've got zero experience with the rims, but they might just be worth a closer look.

Oh, derp, we're talking disk road bikes - might be wider than you want for a road bike, but still... considering the trend to wider rims on road bikes, it might still be worth a look.

Joelk

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 07:05:54 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion CMH,  the width is in the ballpark and they look like very nice rims, but the problem I have seen with most of the mtb rims is that they are rated for a much lower pressure than the rims designed for road use.

I will check with Peter when I email him tomorrow, but tonight I am kicking back and relaxing after riding Blue Marsh Lake today, which always kicks my ass.

cmh

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion CMH,  the width is in the ballpark and they look like very nice rims, but the problem I have seen with most of the mtb rims is that they are rated for a much lower pressure than the rims designed for road use.

Yeah, that was the other thing I was realizing - unless you're running something along the line of a 28c with that rim, you'd probably be wanting to run a higher pressure than it might be rated for. I got somehow locked into the idea that it was a cross bike and that was okay.

FWIW, I run ~60-70psi on Conti 23c's mounted on Pacenti SL23 rims, and I'm no svelte climber.

I will check with Peter when I email him tomorrow, but tonight I am kicking back and relaxing after riding Blue Marsh Lake today, which always kicks my ass.

Oh, cool, you're a local! I've only been to Blue Marsh a couple times, but it's always been good.

Joelk

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »
Oh, cool, you're a local! I've only been to Blue Marsh a couple times, but it's always been good.
Yep, just across the Delaware river in NJ.  We will have to get together for a ride some time.

I ordered a 092 frame, starting the build thread tonight.

cmh

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »
Yep, just across the Delaware river in NJ.  We will have to get together for a ride some time.

I ordered a 092 frame, starting the build thread tonight.

Sounds good to me, maybe we could get Trekcarbonboy in on it as well!

cmh

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »

So I was farting around aimlessly and came across what looks like the same rim on Nextie's site:

http://www.nextie-bike.com/mtb/asymmetric/NXT29AS28

Notice - maximum pressure 70psi.

Sounds low for a road tire until I tell you that running 23c tires on Pacenti wide rims (makes them just shy of 25c) I run around 70psi anyway, and I'm ~215lb. If you're running 28c tires, 70psi is borderline too high, especially depending on how much you weigh.

so... they _could_ be decent rims for road use if you're going with bigger tires.

Just saw that and figured it was worth mentioning. Probably just as well to stick with actual road rims.

carbonazza

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »
The purpose of an asymmetric rim is to have the same spokes length/tension on both sides or the rear wheel. Right ?
Is there any requirements about the hub and the frame to fit with these rims?

cmh

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
The purpose of an asymmetric rim is to have the same spokes length/tension on both sides or the rear wheel. Right ?
Is there any requirements about the hub and the frame to fit with these rims?

Not necessarily the same spokes, but closer. Since the flanges are offset, an offset rim is attempting to keep the bracing angle closer to equal. No requirements on the hub, and when built properly, the spokes are offset, but the rim is still centered between the ends of the hub, so will work with any standard frame.

Another trick to even out spoke tension is triplet lacing, where there are twice as many spokes on the drive side of a rear hub as on the non-drive side. If the flange spacing on the drive side is half of the non-drive, then having twice as many spokes results in an almost equal  spoke tension. That, however, requires special hubs and rims designed for that type of lacing.