Author Topic: Spec and building my 29r  (Read 8994 times)

varanik

Spec and building my 29r
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:19 AM »
Hallo from Munich,
I'm a road cyclist (built many road bikes) planning to build my own MTB... it's a confusing world out there!

After much reading: I'm about to purchase a 29r  IP-036 19" (I'm 6ft) and 2015 high-end DSS IP-HR930C carbon 29er wheels.

I need your help in buying all the parts (I'm quite lucky with the budget but don't want to go crazy).
Ideally I'd love to end up with the list of all the parts I need to order... it would be good for future builds also!
Starting with the frame which BB?  and 3k/us? 135/142?  (I'll go for Matte for the colour)

Thank you
Paolo

MTB2223

Re: Spec and building my 29r
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:22:19 AM »
Hi Paolo, welcome !

I can advise you to take the BSA as BB. Also 142, it's more common. And 3k or UD, it's up to you. UD is just matte black, 3k has some carbon weaves visible.

About a build list ... please take a look at this forum, there're many buildlist (for example my own build list, see my signature).

I've got the same IP-HR930C carbon wheels and I really like them.

varanik

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
Hi Paolo, welcome !

I can advise you to take the BSA as BB. Also 142, it's more common. And 3k or UD, it's up to you. UD is just matte black, 3k has some carbon weaves visible.

About a build list ... please take a look at this forum, there're many buildlist (for example my own build list, see my signature).

I've got the same IP-HR930C carbon wheels and I really like them.

Definitely Matt. I'll use your list as a reference... can you paste it in a message or attach it as an editable file?
What is recommended for the back suspension?

Thank you
Paolo

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:19:56 PM »
Definitely Matt. I'll use your list as a reference... can you paste it in a message or attach it as an editable file?
And should I write down the links where the parts are the cheapest?

varanik

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:22:49 AM »
And should I write down the links where the parts are the cheapest?

That would be brilliant.... can you also come and assemble it for me.?

Oolak

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
Lol. The sarcasm is cracking me up  ;D

varanik

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »
Lol. The sarcasm is cracking me up  ;D

Sarcasm??? I was deadly serious  ;D

I'm just a very confused dude... there are far too many variants out there and I don't want to end up buying the wrong part.

Ideally it would be fantastic to share a spreadsheet where we have a  bike frame, model and manufacturer and 3 columns  with Good, Better, Best with detailed descriptions (and links) to all the components instead of having to spend hours browsing every post.

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:03:08 AM »
Ideally it would be fantastic to share a spreadsheet where we have a  bike frame, model and manufacturer and 3 columns  with Good, Better, Best with detailed descriptions (and links) to all the components instead of having to spend hours browsing every post.
Nice idea! Can't wait to review.

varanik

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »

Nice idea! Can't wait to review.

Don't panic!  I'll add a column also for the best assembler  ;)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:38:48 AM »
Not an editable list but here is my IP-036 build sheet.  Pricing is from a year ago so you should be able to do better.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:34:01 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

t51rmkiv

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »
Very nice

Izzy

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »
I'm just a very confused dude... there are far too many variants out there and I don't want to end up buying the wrong part.

Well, yeah, that would be pretty convenient. Problem is it depends far too much on personal preference. SRAM or Shimano? 11 speed or 10 speed? Single front chainring or double? Clipless or flat pedals? Etc. Most importantly, what's your budget? I think you'll find that the forum will pretty much take most of the research out of the equation for you but we just need more info.

You're going to have to put some research time in, which for some people like me, that's one of the funnest parts. Picking out each component exactly as you want it. I'd say don't get too wrapped up in only the 036 build lists. Browse through all the builds and pretty much any component is available for every frame.

Without knowing your budget.. My advice is get a full Shimano SLX 2x10 drivetrain and hydro brakes and rotors. Get the frame with standard BSA bottom bracket. Get the rear hub with 12X142 thru-axle and make sure your frame has the same in the rear dropouts. Get a Rockshox Reba, or X Fusion Velvet 100mm travel fork with 15 mm thru-axle (again, make sure your order your front wheel hub with 15mm thru-axle. That should get you started.

And if you actually get MTB2223 to assemble it for free, that would be even better, of course!  ;D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
^^ That's actually all really good advice imo, and would be a great starting point. Unless, of course, you prefer SRAM. Also, it's probably not the most cost effective way of doing your build. For example, SLX is a really good value imo but maybe the XT shifters were on sale for the same or cheaper price at the time you bought the SLX. If you want to maximize how much bike you get for your set budget, you really need to have an understanding of the components.

As far as the best places to get deals.. There's Art's Cyclery, Chain Reaction, Nashbar, Pricepoint, Performance bike, Jenson, and a few more that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Also, welcome to the forum.. And you're right about there needing to be a better resource for doing these builds. It needs to made more accessible to relative newbies, but it's not the simplest of problems to solve.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:35:08 PM by Sitar_Ned »

RS VR6

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »
I don't see where the confusion lies. If you've build up road bikes before...mountain bikes are different. Only thing is that there is suspension on mountain bikes...if you choose to build one with suspension.

The drive train parts all function basically the same. You just need to decide on how much you want to spend and what manufacturers functionality you like better. I chose SRAM drive train and Shimano brakes

What do you plan on doing with the bike? Race or mainly recreation?

Here is what I chose for my frame specs:

BSA bottom bracket, plain and simple. Easy to maintain. Can be installed and removed with a simple BB tool.

135 rear end. This is what I currently have so I went with it. Most of these frames have convertible 135 to 142 rear ends...so I don't matter what rear axle you go with. My frame came with the 142 drop outs and axle. So if I decide to go 142 later on...I have the parts.

varanik

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
Thank you all for the replies... I'm still getting my head around all the options.
First of all it will be for fun, no racing... Though I have ridden across US solo and completed a Paris Brest: I plan to put it thru some intensive usage in the alps.

- I gather BB30 seems do develop some squeaking noises so I'm more inclined to BSA (which is 68mm?) which puts SRAM out of the question
 - I don't want to have a front derailleur so was thinking of Shimano XX1
 - Does it make sense to get a seatpost dropper? (seatpost is 31.6mm right?)
-  Rear end: 135/142 I have been advised her on both :) ... which one ?

Again thank you.

Paolo