Author Topic: Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here  (Read 80917 times)

bxcc

Re: Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »
I took my SS (WW 062 rigid) for an 8 mile ride today with a buddy of mine on his fat bike. Not much for miles but it was a fun ride either way. The skiing here has been marginal and the house is in the middle of a major make over so we stayed home and I thought I would get out for a bit. I've only done 2 or 3 other rides this winter so go easy.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Your 29er looks good.  Nice photo, I like the frozen lake in the background.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »
The weather has been pretty nice the last couple of weeks in Georgia- I've gotten in several rides at the local trail.  This is at the top of one climb where another trail intersects (it's a spaghetti bowl type of layout- lots of trail crammed in to a relatively little space)

This past weekend I went camping at Cloudland Canyon state park in the northwest corner of Georgia.  Great scenery, and we had a great time.  Neither of the guys I camped with ride, but I got in a good ride at the Five Points trail system which is in the eastern part of the park.  Great trails- lots of flowy, fast motocross style trails, and also some good rock gardens.  Twenty something miles total, plus a ~6 mile connector trail that goes back to the main area of the park (I only rode about half of it, got to go back :) ).   It got cold (close to freezing) Saturday night and we got some sleet Sunday morning, but not enough to cause any problems.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
More info and pics about my favorite trail, Chicopee Woods, which is just 15 min from my house.  http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7000014

Here is a 3D view of the trials from mtbproject.com.  There are a total of 26 miles of trails these days.

In the Spring we get these white flowers on the Tortoise Trail.  The Tortoise is a good beginner trail and is also the entrance/exit trail from and to the parking lot.  Even though I say it's a beginner trail it still has some fast sections, rocky sections, and some decent short climbs.  Tortious is about 3 miles and includes some single track and double track.

This is the entrance to the Flying Squirrel trail.  The Squirrel is super fast and flowy, about 5 miles long.

Here is a shot from the Red Tail trail, it's only about 2.5 miles long, branches off the White Tail trail.  It climbs up one side of a big hill and then drops down the other side, all single track so watch out for the trees.

Here is a tough climb toward the end of the White Tail trail, most people walk up this section.  The climb is right after a creek crossing, so on top of the difficult terrain and flat rocks, your trying to climb up on wet tires (and wet feet if you ride across the creek).  The White Tail is also called the outer loop and is about 6 miles worth of single track.

Finally, once you get up that climb after the creek, there are a few benches that overlook the creek.  The benches are also there so you can rest before you climb Granny Gear Hill, about 3/4 of a mile of double track gravel that's about a 15% grade the entire way.

Chicopee is not a super difficult trail but there is lots there to challenge most riders and make you work hard.  The hardest trail is the Copperhead Loop, featuring about 6 miles of roots, rolling flats, and tougher short climbs.

What I find fun about Chicopee Woods is you can really change it up, the only directional trail is the Tortoise Entry/Exit trail.  The rest of the trails are bidirectional, you can run the loops either clockwise or counterclockwise.  I typically do 10-12 miles and it takes me about an hour of ride time if I keep my pace up.  My best average speed so far is 10.6 mph, that was before my leg and collar bone injuries.  However, I did pull a 10.3 mph average the other day so I am getting back in shape.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:40:47 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

karstenhorn

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
Hello All

Today I had the chance to take my 036 out for a little longer 20 mile ride. My other half is from Poland and we are presently visiting my family in law in Bydgoszcz, located in the central part of Poland. Just a half mile from our apartment we do have some 120 miles of single tracks in a huge forest and it is a fantastic playground for MTB lovers. I rode a tiny part of the trails today and apart from very sandy/loose trails, I really realized today just how much more flow there is with my new 036 and I can now handle climbs that I could not pass with my old Specialized Enduro FSR.

The next few days will be MTB heaven for sure  8)

A few pictures from today's ride:

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
Very nice post K-horns!  Thanks for sharing.  My family on my fathers side is from Poland.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

karstenhorn

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2016, 10:14:54 AM »
Very nice post K-horns!  Thanks for sharing.  My family on my fathers side is from Poland.

I admit a little "inspired"  :D

However my name is Karsten Horn and my wife's name is Kasia Horn. We have a chiner MTB each hence the "K - HORNS" standing on both of them, its kind of a family brand LoL

Poland is a fantastic country and the people are so friendly and nice to you - The prize they are paying after the end of USSR is however very very tough on the majority of people here. An average monthly salary  is around 500$ and stuff is not cheap.

bxcc

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2016, 07:23:53 PM »
However my name is Karsten Horn and my wife's name is Kasia Horn. We have a chiner MTB each hence the "K - HORNS" standing on both of them, its kind of a family brand LoL

That's awesome! I like the family brand. I did the same thing for my chiners. I used GKARTA as the brand. And it's a silent G.  ;)
GK - first name and middle name initials of daughter #1
AR - daughter #2
TA - wife

And to keep up with the pictures, here is what I ran into on my ride the other day. Daughter 1 and 2.

karstenhorn

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2016, 11:46:45 AM »
15 miles recreational ride together with my wife in the forest just outside our driveway - A good view of the landscape in Denmark.

Karsten

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
Such a nice relaxing trail, you are so lucky to have that just outside your home.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »
Just a cow. The mountains of northern Italy aren't bad either.

Patrick C.

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Looks like an awesome place for a ride, but do you have fenders?  Now, the thought of running over horse crap isn't so bad  :)

MTB2223

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
This weekend we went to La Bresse (France) for the UCI XCO World Cup. On friday we ride the offical World Cup trail, which means for me walking most of the parts. My daugther and son ride the whole trail multiple times. It was a very technical trail as you saw or can see on the Redbull TV (replay).

SportingGoods

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »
Very nice video and pictures! France is a nice place to ride ;)
Have your kids actually raced in this XCO event or was it just a fun visit?

Also, I understand that your daughter is doing very good with the bike as is, but I wonder if she could not benefit from a suspension fork. I'd through a light Sid World Cup on this bike. I'm pretty sure she would be faster. It would also do a lot of good to her body (on the video you can see the effect on arms and back).

MTB2223

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2016, 07:35:31 AM »
Very nice video and pictures! France is a nice place to ride ;)
Have your kids actually raced in this XCO event or was it just a fun visit?
It was just for fun. The kids are 7 and 12 years old, to young for U23. One of her trainers was riding in the XCO for women.
An yes, France is a great place to ride, certainly in the Vosges. This was our first time visit of the Vosges and we realy like this area.

Also, I understand that your daughter is doing very good with the bike as is, but I wonder if she could not benefit from a suspension fork. I'd through a light Sid World Cup on this bike. I'm pretty sure she would be faster. It would also do a lot of good to her body (on the video you can see the effect on arms and back).
True, but in the Netherlands we don't have a lot of these rocky decents. Until now she really likes the fork, but for the future we will certainly go for a suspension fork. And yes, maybe she will be faster, but for now she's already one of the fastest in her age, even of the boys.
And our small guy is not heavy enough for a suspention fork. So, we saved some weight on this part.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:37:04 AM by MTB2223 »