Author Topic: Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here  (Read 80483 times)

Vipassana

Re: Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
Those look like some awesome trails.  I'd love to have some shady trails this time of year!

Patrick C.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
Shady, but still hot and humid.   This week is much better than last, but I just noticed most of my pictures were on uphill sections- I wonder why?

bxcc

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 06:53:59 PM »
Last Saturdays ride. Take it easy on me, I'm new to the GoPro/Youtube scene. No fancy editing.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »
bxcc, very nice video.  I lived in New Hampshire many years ago so I have a bit of a feel of what the terrain is like in New England.  However, I didn't ride a mountain bikes back then, just some hiking.

Please let me know how long of a descent that was, I was surprised all 12 minutes were purely downhill.  What was the change in elevation and what  was your max speed?

Thanks again, I enjoyed riding along with you.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »
Coldwater Mountain in Anniston, AL; just off I-20 about one hour from my house.  This is on the Anniston (eastern) side of the trail system.  They have a little over 25 miles of trails now, with more under construction and a goal to have 75 miles of trail in 2017.  In fact, I think one of the sections I rode was not officially open yet (Oops!).  Trails are a mix of tight rocky single track, machine made buff single track, and fire roads with berms and jumps.  There are also two downhill sections of about 4 miles each, which is pretty long for the southeast:).

IMBA recently wrote a story on the Coldwater Mountain trail.  Here:  https://www.imba.com/trail-heads-coldwater?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 08:19:47 PM »
Yeah, that's about what I looked like riding the trails there 8)

bxcc

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:27 AM »
bxcc, very nice video.  I lived in New Hampshire many years ago so I have a bit of a feel of what the terrain is like in New England.  However, I didn't ride a mountain bikes back then, just some hiking.

Please let me know how long of a descent that was, I was surprised all 12 minutes were purely downhill.  What was the change in elevation and what  was your max speed?

Thanks again, I enjoyed riding along with you.

Thanks. That trail is in Carrabassett Valley (next to Sugarloaf USA ski area). The town has been dumping some serious money into the trail network. The riding there is amazing. Maybe not CO or UT amazing but pretty great for east coast riding.

The descent was roughly 2.7 miles with 675ft of elevation loss. It isn't super steep but there is much more smiling than pedaling happening on that trail. The 1,000 foot climb over 4.5 miles is what kills me. Maybe the 34t ring and 11-36 cassette isn't the best gearing choice???  :o

outriding9800

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »
I just want to say i hate you all.

I got nothing that cool in SE Michigan.

But if all goes as planned i will be going to northern Michigan this weekend and will post my ride..

Vipassana

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »
I did my Leadville dress rehearsal ride this past weekend.  I rode from Tucson, up Mt. Lemmon, and down the backside, nearly into Oracle, AZ.  Then I went back.  It was really challenging, but went well.  My pace was decent (if not a bit slow) and my nutrition schedule seems to have worked with no real bonking or cramps or stomach problems.  Was at around 200-300 calories an hour.  I rode with no HRM, just worked on feeling.

I started early at about 5AM.  The weather was amazing for AZ in July; cloudy with light rain/drizzle, temperatures in the low 60s to mid-80s.

Anyway, 100.5 miles, 12,600ft elevation, 8:38:30 ride time.  Three breaks to fill bottles where I could and a handful of small breaks for pictures.  Overall I felt good.  I'm feeling a bit better about Leadville in August.  I'm still super nervous though.

Shots of the frontside Mt. Lemmon road.  Beautiful views of Tucson.

Caution: Fisting Bears

The ants were out swarming due to the rains.  They were as thick as smoke.  Easily the worst part of the ride.  I ate like a pound of ants on this trip.

At the top of the mountain, Summerhaven, AZ:

A shot of the Mt. Lemmon from the backside.  I rode to the top of the high peak. :feelsgoodman:

At the halfway point.  Food taped to the bike:

The camp ground at the halfway point:

The climb back up the backside.  It's a steep fire road that's washed out in places:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:40:58 AM by Vipassana »

MTB2223

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
whow, respect !! Well done, mate !
Really like your journey stories!

Great idea to tape the food to your bike.

Please, keep on posting your journeys. I really like that.

cmh

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:35 PM »
I did my Leadville dress rehearsal ride this past weekend.  I rode from Tucson, up Mt. Lemmon, and down the backside, nearly into Oracle, AZ.  Then I went back.  It was really challenging, but went well.  My pace was decent (if not a bit slow) and my nutrition schedule seems to have worked with no real bonking or cramps or stomach problems.  Was at around 200-300 calories an hour.  I rode with no HRM, just worked on feeling.

I started early at about 5AM.  The weather was amazing for AZ in July; cloudy with light rain/drizzle, temperatures in the low 60s to mid-80s.

Anyway, 100.5 miles, 12,600ft elevation, 8:38:30 ride time.  Three breaks to fill bottles where I could and a handful of small breaks for pictures.  Overall I felt good.  I'm feeling a bit better about Leadville in August.  I'm still super nervous though.

Wow, damn, that ride is for real. Nice work!

bdub

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
Went up to Brian Head Utah last weekend and did a few downhill runs on the old chiner.

First one up was Bunker Creek an amazing downhill run of 3,000 feet over 10 miles.
Not my video but a good overview of the trail:

Next one was the Dark Hollow Trail, this one was really hard on the hard tail and it beat the hell out of me. This one drops 3,700 feet over 11 miles.
Again not my video but a good run down the trail:

Both of these downhills where hard on the bike but the 057 held it's own.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:12:42 PM by bdub »

RS VR6

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 11:55:17 PM »
Yikes the ants!  :o

Patrick C.

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »
I had to drive to North Carolina for work this week, and was able to take along the bike.  First ride was at the National Whitewater Center just outside Charlotte.  They have a man-made whitewater course and a ton of other activities (ziplines, obstacle course, etc.) if you want something else after riding.  Trails are great- good flow,a few technical bits, and in very good shape.  Not many long climbs on the ones I rode but a good number of short and steep downhills.  One trail is called Toilet Bowl, so I had to take it and find out why.   

The second ride was at Tsali.  Tsali is amazing and should have its own thread, but I only had time to do one loop- left loop to the Overlook, then back to the parking lot.  Definitely got to go back soon!

A few miles around the Left Loop, going clockwise- nothing super technical, but very high penalty for failure.

Trail Guardian-

The Overlook-

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 06:00:44 AM »
That's a familure view, Patrick.  ;)

Circa 2001