Author Topic: Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here  (Read 80907 times)

jwilds1

Re: Recent Ride Containment Thread - Post Your Recent Journeys Here
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »
Just got back from a long weekend at Brown County State Park in Indiana.  Lots of flow, and lots of beginner stuff that me and my son (age 11) can handle.  The minute we got there, my son said "I want to ride up to Hesitation Point!!!" - 1000' of net climb on over 8 miles, and the last portion has some very rocky technical (at least to us) sections.  After some not insignificant "hike-a-bike", we made it and he couldn't have been prouder.  After a long break for snacks and refreshment of the legs, we bought back the 1000' with some of the "funnest" downhill sections I've experienced.

The second day was Limekiln, which is a short 2.2 mile section that the locals say is "downhill both ways".  We did this 4x for a total of almost 9 miles.

This is the last year on his almost 30-pound 24" bike - I told him this spring we'd build him up a Chiner 26" bike on the cheap..

Ruins along the way -

At the top, Hestiation Point -

As for my bike - couldn't have asked for anything more.  We were out here last year on my old Craigslist special 26" bike, and the Chiner made everything so much easier (guessing me losing 30 pounds helps too).  Rear axle keeps loosening up but I've now made it part of the pre-ride inspection so no issues there.  Bottom bracket is starting to creak so I'm going to have to investigate that, and I cannot bleed a rear brake to save my life so I'm taking it into the shop to get that done.

MTB2223

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 01:41:20 AM »
Nothing better than sharing the same passion with your kids. So much fun, so much joy. And your wife ? Doesn't she ride mountain bike ?

Patrick C.

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 02:29:23 AM »
Nice!  I'm thinking of doing the same for my son.  Plus my wife says she wants a bike she can ride on trails.  I may have to build three more Chiners before I get another one...(third would be for my daughter)

jwilds1

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
Nothing better than sharing the same passion with your kids. So much fun, so much joy. And your wife ? Doesn't she ride mountain bike ?

Absolutely - it's hard because we don't get the same amount of mileage in, and his 24" 13.5" wheel bike weighs 5lbs more than mine, so he gets frustrated on the hills.  That will be remedied when I build him is bike this winter.

As for the wife thing - tried it out, found it wasn't for me (divorced 5 years now :) )

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »
Rear axle keeps loosening up but I've now made it part of the pre-ride inspection so no issues there.

It's been talked about before, add some blue Loctite to the set screw.  You could also do like I did and order some better soft tip set screws from McMaster.com and install those with some Loctite.  Since doing so, I've not had the thru axle nut come loose one bit.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

outriding9800

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
My Turn!  :)

Went to the North Country Trail over the weekend. The section just outside of brethren michigan. One section was by Tippy Dam and the other was by Big M Ski area. We camped rode at Big M one day, camped at Tippy Dam and rode the Tippy Dam section the next day.

Big M

https://www.strava.com/activities/405661747

Campsite:

I call it meat henge

Tippy Dam:

https://www.strava.com/activities/406474504

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
Those trail in Michigan look so much smoother than what we have in my area.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

nick_n_ii

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
The wife and I just got in from doing 9.5 miles of the Muskegon trail. It's paved but was still a nice ride..

nick_n_ii

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »
Great day to ride. I'm headed out to Merrell Trail and Island Hopping over near Rockford MI..

outriding9800

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
Those trail in Michigan look so much smoother than what we have in my area.

That trail does not get much usage.. it is kind of isolated and those pics are at the top of hills. there are some sections that are kind of rutty..

Vipassana

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »
With the days being so short, it's hard for me to find time to get out and ride.  As a result, I've been doing a dusk/night ride about once a week and then spin class at the gym whenever I can.  Weekends have been too busy to really ride much.  :-\

Here are some pictures from a recent dusk ride at McDowell Mountain Park near my house.  It's a 15.5 loop that takes you out to the mountains you see there and back.  It's a very fast (not very technical) and enjoyable ride.  I am usually around 0:59-1:02, which is good enough for the #2 spot on Strava this year (used to be number 1!). 

cmh

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »
Here are some pictures from a recent dusk ride at McDowell Mountain Park near my house.

Niiiiice.  Love the second one.

325racer

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
Night ride.

cmh

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Since I'm far, far too lazy to use the internet and find out for myself, what's the story with the wearable gimble? Results are pretty damn good.

325racer

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
Since I'm far, far too lazy to use the internet and find out for myself, what's the story with the wearable gimble? Results are pretty damn good.

Well......  first use or two were good, then it kinda went crazy.  Camera pointed straight up and started spinning like a top.  It may have been just to much shock/vibration mounted on the handlebars of a full rigid.

I'm having bad luck with it overall, the first one disappeared between delivery and me getting it.   While Amazon is good, using a secondary Amazon vendor causes some issues (Amazon only does refund, not exchange).  I'm contacting both seller and manufacturer, so Ill see how that goes.

As far as function, etc, this is a 3 axis, so it stabilizes tilt/rotation/vertical movements.   When working well it gives almost a floatingeffect. 

I really want it to work, but maybe on the full rigid it just can't take the shock/vibration.

Ill see what happens after repair or replacement.