Author Topic: Which to upgrade first: Frame or Wheels?  (Read 3012 times)

Which to upgrade first: Frame or Wheels?
« on: May 01, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »
I usually don't have such a hard time deciding what to do but I could use some advise.

With my budget now I could either get some carbon wheels or a carbon frame but not both at this time.

I ride 2 times a week weather permitting. I weigh 161 lbs. I'd consider the style of rider I am as XC. I'm not into big jumps or drops.

My current ride is 2 years old, an aluminum hardtail 650b. Revelation fork with lock out that I use a lot. Rear tire is 2.1, front is 2.2. My current wheels are Alex XD Lite and They are no longer round. I keep up maintenance including spoke tension.

My frame weighs 1925 grams and the Alex wheels weigh 886 grams front and 1128 grams rear (2014 total).

So I'm not sure if carbon wheels are for me. I'm concerned since my Alex XD Lite's are out of round that I will destroy new carbon hoops. I like the idea of reducing rotating weight though.

So what do you think?

Oolak

Re: Which to upgrade first: Frame or Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
I say some carbon wheels with some nice hubs, for sure. Especially if when you say your current wheels are "out of round" you mean they won't stay true? Not only will some new carbon wheels be a lot lighter but it will also be a big improvement if your current wheels are getting older and won't stay true. As far as worrying about if carbon wheels are for your.. They will be lighter AND stronger than what you have now - no worries.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
A Med IP-057 weighs around 1300g and will give you a nice, high quality ride for between $400-$500 saving you 625g.

A 30mm wide carbon wheelset will weight around 1650g and also provide a small improve in ride quality for around $600-$700 saving you about 364g.

If you don't have $1,000 to spend on both, it is a tough choice.  If you upgrade the frame, you will probably spend a bit more money upgrading a few other things like headset, bottom bracket, cables, etc so total cost of either the frame or the wheels might be similar.

It's easier to upgrade only the wheels as they are an easier thing to change out, however, if you are up for it, changing out the frame will  make a bigger difference in ride quality (in my opinion), and will save you more weight.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTNRCKT

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »
I agree with most of what Carbon_Dude said but like Oolak pointed out, if your current wheels aren't in the best of shape then I say go with the wheels first.

JohnnyNT

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 03:41:59 AM »
With tires of this size you can easily get with the 25mm rim width and build a set around 1500g. Wheels always should be the first thing to upgrade since you feel the rotating mass most, with the carbon rims you will also feel great improvement in stiffness and ride stability.

carbonfan

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »
We can get the answer from the following pic  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:50:57 AM by carbonfan »
carbon life, carbon fan!
 www.carbonbicycle.cc

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »
Ok with the advise here I have decided to upgrade the wheels first then the frame. My current frame is set up for 135mm. When I buy the frame I will go with 142mm. Can I use the wheels for both widths? I imagine Novatech hubs have spacers?