Author Topic: Seat post clamps.. What are you using on your bike??  (Read 2941 times)

Seat post clamps.. What are you using on your bike??
« on: May 09, 2015, 02:20:16 AM »
I have been using this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Titanium-Ti-bolt-Seatpost-clamp-31-8mm-34-9mm-9g-Gray-Ultra-Light-/121168021033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c362d4629

Weight was 10 grams so I had to get it ;D I really had to tighten it down because the seat post would slide down, even with carbon paste. I removed a little of the material where the clamp came together so I could get it a bit tighter. Is seems to be holding now. I don't have to remove or adjust my seat post so I went with this style clamp.

What is the recommended clamp size for the IP 256? I am wondering if I ordered the wrong size.

What clamps are you using on your bikes? Would like to hear your experiences good and bad.

325racer

Re: Seat post clamps.. What are you using on your bike??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »
I have two of these.  Also 10g, verified.  They are a local San Diego company, so I'm ok spending a couple extra bucks to keep it local, as they sponsor races, etc.

http://www.loadedusa.com/products/binder-clamps/xlite-fixed/

One is on my carbon bike, the other my Alloy Santa Cruz with dropper post.  No slippage issues on either, not sure if past was required, but I applied prior to use.

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
I had the same. I used three layers of hair spray to make the seat post thicker. This works for me.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
On my IP-056 I just have the seat clamp that Peter supplied at no cost with the frame.

On my IP-036 I splurged and went with a Thomson seat collar, it's a wider design just like the Loaded brand clamp.  It's a bit more expensive at $25-$30 but it is made by a company not far from me in Georgia.

Both work well and have not given me any issues, I do use carbon paste (Finishline Fiber Grip) but even before I started using that product, I wasn't having any slippage issues.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

RS VR6

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:38:32 AM »
I have two of these.  Also 10g, verified.  They are a local San Diego company, so I'm ok spending a couple extra bucks to keep it local, as they sponsor races, etc.

One is on my carbon bike, the other my Alloy Santa Cruz with dropper post.  No slippage issues on either, not sure if past was required, but I applied prior to use.

This the clamp I'm using also. No slippage. No friction paste either.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:02:48 PM »

I will definitely try this clamp. Does anyone know what size I need for the IP 256?

cmh

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
Got a Token Arsenal Ultralite for the fat bike, confirmed 8.9g:

Compared to the stock clamp from the Motobecane:

It's so slim that torquing it does not feel right - it stretches as you tension it and that feels completely wrong - the torque doesn't ramp up like you'd expect. But, I've been riding it on the fatty since these photos were taken in the end of February and zero problems with it so far.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
Anyone know what size clamp goes on the IP-256?

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
Just found my old iplay clamp, looks like 34.9mm.

cmh

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
Just found my old iplay clamp, looks like 34.9mm.

Yeah, pretty sure all the numbers I've ever seen for Chiner frames has been 34.9 clamp. Part of the reason I spent a little on the Token clamp was that I was pretty certain I'd be able to reuse it if I went with a Chiner frame for my fat bike.