Author Topic: The next generation of 3d printing  (Read 3724 times)

Izzy

The next generation of 3d printing
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
Thought you guys might be interested in this article. Doesn't seem too far fetched that in 20 years we could be all 3D printing our own bike frames. Pretty crazy and exciting what technology might be like in the short term future.

http://knowledgeglue.com/this-is-the-stunning-future-of-3d-printing/

It uses lasers to continually weld powdered metals, then uses CNC to finish up the item. The end result is extraordinarily precise and useful.

MTNRCKT

Re: The next generation of 3d printing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »
Could be the next big frontier? It's certainly going to be exciting to see how it progresses. 3D printing and virtual reality are what I'm currently most excited about. VR will be available to the masses by the end of the year, and we're not talking some hokey Nintendo power glove shit, we're talking fully immersive alternate realities, here.

Back to 3d prinitng - While we may very well be printing up our own stuff in our garage in a couple decades +/- a few years, I think it's more likely that it will just drive manufacturing prices down even lower. So it may be that in 5/10 years we'll be talking about the latest 3D printed chiner frame that we only paid a couple hundred bucks for but is even more precisely engineered.

I'd love to see it spark a manufacturing resurgence here in the US but most likely I think it will just make imported goods even cheaper. Cheap labor isn't the only reason companies outsource; The tax code is also written to incentivize off shore manufacturing.

Here's a 3d printing vid about a company in China that printed ten houses in 24 hours. It still all looks a bit unpolished so to speak but imagine when tech in the vid like posted above makes it's way into more and more factories.

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
That's cool. My cousin thinks he has a large sterling silver family crest pin that I am hoping to have 3D printed for my head tube badge. Fingers crossed that he has one.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
That's cool. My cousin thinks he has a large sterling silver family crest pin that I am hoping to have 3D printed for my head tube badge. Fingers crossed that he has one.

If that doesn't work out, I guarantee Jen Green can make it.