Author Topic: Small crack IP256SL  (Read 6724 times)

MTB2223

Small crack IP256SL
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »
Last month I noticed a small crack in my frame (IP-256SL). It's really small and it looks like a scratch, but it isn't. After a while, there is some white fluid on the crack. It looks like it coming out of the crack. When I wipe it off, after some days it's back again.

At the moment I'm not worried about it, but should I ? And does anybody know what that white stuff is ?

Today, I sent an email to Bert of XMIplay to ask for advise. The frame is still in his warranty period and I hope not it will getting bigger after the warranty period of two years.

More pictures:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9zcouMAYwyMT3Y4c21ITVhPYkU&usp=sharing

carbonazza

Re: Small crack IP256SL
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:05 AM »
Take a coin, and gently hit the frame somewhere else.
Remember the kind of noise it makes.

Then hit that zone.
If it is really cracked you will clearly hear a softer more diffuse sound.
It looks like this is a weak spot of the 256.

I had this white thing as well when my left chainstay was hit recently.
The sellers should take their responsibility.
If not, you can always fix the crack before it becomes bigger, like I did.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
If an IP-256 frame is going to have an issue, that's where I would expect it to be.  The "Y" wishbone shape at the seat tube must flex quite a bit in that area.  I've read about a few other IP-256 problems on MTBR and that seems to be the area that is the problem.  Perhaps the frame mfr should make that area stronger given the loading, particularly if the rider weight is 200 lbs or more. 

As a Mechanical Engineer who has performed many structural FEA's on injection molded plastic parts, this doesn't surprise me.  With handmade carbon fiber, the manufacturing process appears to have a lot of variation in terms of structural integrity.  Most frames probably turn out fine, but there seems to be a few that don't have as much strength in that area.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTNRCKT

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »
Still at least a year left on the warranty, correct? A crack is a crack and should be dealt with under warranty.. It is tiny, though.  Maybe use one of those carbon repair kits and keep an eye on it? If it gets any worse at all I'd be wanting a new frame.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »
Still at least a year left on the warranty, correct? A crack is a crack and should be dealt with under warranty.. It is tiny, though.  Maybe use one of those carbon repair kits and keep an eye on it? If it gets any worse at all I'd be wanting a new frame.

This seems pretty reasonable to me. Looks like a a good candidate to be patched up. That said, if it gets any worse, I'd be concerned.

This is one of the reasons I decided on the 057. I personally had no clue, but just reading CD's posts on his concerns about that specific wishbone area of the frame were enough to make me go with the slightly heavier 057.

RS VR6

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
The 256 uses the same "Y" junction as the Open frame. Maybe the Open has more material in that spot?

Interestingly...I've read that the seatstays aren't under much stress. That's why they can be made to be so thin. Maybe since the stays join at one section and then bridged to the seat tube...there is more stress?

SportingGoods

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:39:39 AM »
Am I the only one who is more concerned by the white fluid coming out of the frame then by the crack itself? This doesn't sound right to me. I have already cut carbon tubes and it's plain hard, no softness or liquid swelling out of the material.

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:46:52 AM »
Am I the only one who is more concerned by the white fluid coming out of the frame then by the crack itself? This doesn't sound right to me. I have already cut carbon tubes and it's plain hard, no softness or liquid swelling out of the material.
You're not the only one. I'm curious what this white 'fluid' is. I cannot image it's in the frame, but it's coming back every time when I wipe it away after a couple of days.

SportingGoods

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 04:17:44 AM »
Please keep us updated with the response from iPlay. I am really curious (and concerned). Again, I have cut a tube (chiner fork carbon steerer) and there was nothing like that. Also I have hit the frame all through the lacquer, down to the carbon and there was nothing like that.

Izzy

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
Any update on this? You going to fix it or get it replaced?

MTB2223

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »
Any update on this? You going to fix it or get it replaced?
I sent Bert an email with a description and a link to some pictures. Got a response with 24 hours. "How are you? Hope you doing well. Please send some pictures". Sent the same day the pictures again and asked him if I should be worried and asked for advise. That was six days ago. Just sent him a reminder ... I think he's very busy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:03:32 AM by MTB2223 »

hard.drive

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 01:45:35 PM »
Do keep us posted OP. How the vendor reacts to this is a valuable info especially for people who are wanting to try Chiner frames. Hopefully it gets warrantied good luck!  :)

MTB2223

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
I'm a little bit late with my update, but I got a fast response from Bert after my reminder:
"Hi, dear Mr Johan.
Wish you are fine!
So sorry the late reply!
Yep, I totally understand you now, the wihte one is the polystyrene foam glue which we stick the carbon fiber.
If do the XC riding, it is not bad, but if you worry  about the frame, do you mind send it back to me? I think I can replace a new one for you . what size and BB? 142?
Our Iplay and me Bert is honest company and honest guy, please dnot worry about it, we want to supply the best service for you ! thanks in advance!
Best regards!
"

So, it's probably a small crack only in the first carbon layer and, like Bert described, some glue (between the layers) is coming through.
I think it's not a big deal. So, I decided to not send my frame back, but I'll keep an eye on it. When I'm cleaning my bike, I always examine my frame with attention. If it's getting bigger, I'll get back to it.For now, keep pedaling  8)

RS VR6

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 10:17:07 PM »
Is it wise to not send the frame back? Its not going to heal on its own. ;D

If they are willing to take back and send you a new frame...I would jump on that and not wait to see if your frame is going to get worse. ;)

MTB2223

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 03:03:24 AM »
Is it wise to not send the frame back? Its not going to heal on its own. ;D

If they are willing to take back and send you a new frame...I would jump on that and not wait to see if your frame is going to get worse. ;)
Maybe it's wise. But it looks like the bike is holding very well and when I had painted the bike, I didn't even know this was there. And with some nice and heavy trips on the way, it's a good way to test the bike further. And I don't want to miss these because of the absence of my bike.