Author Topic: Help me spend $$$! Building a new carbon HT.  (Read 2061 times)

bxcc

Help me spend $$$! Building a new carbon HT.
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
So I am starting to acquire parts and pieces for bike #2. I'm going to try and keep it as close to $1000 as possible with a limit of $1500 (not including dedicated 29er wheels) and would like it rideable by the end of the year.

I am having a hard time picking out a frame so some help with that would be greatly appreciated. I want a 29er HT with the option of running a 27.5 x 2.8 WTB Trailblazer tire on my existing Nextie 35mm rims. I know the 256 frame will work with that rim/tire setup, but does anyone know if the clearance is the same or greater on other frames? Particularly the FR202 as that one can be had for around $350 on eBay. My frame wish list would include - 19" or 20" (I'm 71" tall), slacker than 70 degree HT angle when running a 120mm fork, plenty of clearance to run 27.5+ options, BSA bb, 142x12 rear end, 12k weave matte finish, and under $400. Is that doable?

As far as parts go, I'm pretty open as what to run as long as it fits in the budget. Here is what I have planned so far.

Fork - 2014 Rock Shox Reba RL 120mm 15mm axle (ordering this weekend)
Handlebars - EC70 riser bars
Stem - Stylo 90mm
Grips - ESI chunky
Headset - CC 40
Brakes - SLX f / XT r
Rotors - XT RT86 180f / 160r
Crankset - ?? (preferably a Sram GXP for BSA bb's)
Seatpost - ??
Saddle - ??
Rear Der - Shimano Saint M820
Cassette - XT M771 11-36t
Chain - ??
Shifter - M820 Saint
29er wheels - 35mm wide carbon hoops on Hope hubs when the budget allows (not anytime soon)

The parts that are listed are already (or soon to be) in my parts bin. I haven't ordered the fork yet but will be this weekend unless some one can change my mind. It's a new Reba RL for $300. Pretty hard to beat I'm figuring.

Thanks for the help and guidance. Will post pictures as things come in. Which means this thread may go awhile with out being updated.  :D

brmeyer135

Re: Help me spend $$$! Building a new carbon HT.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
Going to be hard to keep it to 1000 as you are in for 700 between frame and fork....brakes 150ish...crank 150+ and you are at a 1000
are you willing to use used parts and do you have any from a current bike?

Good price on the Reba.

bxcc

Re: Help me spend $$$! Building a new carbon HT.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »
Most of the parts are taken from my main bike as I swap to XT 11spd. Brakes, cassette, rear derailleur, shifter, handlebars and stem are all items that I've upgraded over the past two years. Mainly need, frame, fork, headset, crankset and grips to come in under my $1000 goal. I'm over analyzing this frame decision which is taking awhile.