Author Topic: Surly Ice Cream Truck - Demo Ride  (Read 5136 times)

Carbon_Dude

Surly Ice Cream Truck - Demo Ride
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
One of the local bike shops, Cartecay River Bikes in Ellijay, GA, setup a demo day at one of the local trails today.  It just so happened that I was cleared to start riding again after breaking my collarbone so I decided today was a good as any to head out to the trails.

The shop owner set me up with a Large Surly Ice Cream Truck Fatbike demo bike.  I think he built this one up himself, it had a SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain, 4.7" wide Bulldozer tires (aired up to 10 psi), carbon wheels, Rockshox Bluto fork.

My take on the fatbike was that it rode more plush than my 100mm FS IP-036.  I found myself looking for rocks and roots to ride over.  The tires provided so much smoothness to the ride.  However, the bike felt heavy and sluggish to pedal and would lose speed rather quickly compared to my 29er.  Weight of the bike was at least 32-34 lbs, even with the carbon wheels.  The most unnerving part was the downhill handling of the bike, it just wanted to squirm and go in the direction it wanted to go, rather than the direction I wanted.  Because of the handling, I decided the cut the demo ride short after only 3 miles.  I just didn't feel comfortable riding at higher speeds.

I'm sure if I rode the bike more, and got past my initial issues and learned how to better control the bike with it's odd handling characteristics, I may eventually have more confidence riding it.  However, it just wasn't to my liking.

So I've answered the question in my mind and learned that a Fatbike just is not for me.  Maybe I will try a 27.5+ or 29+ sometime in the future.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTNRCKT

Re: Surly Ice Cream Truck - Demo Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »
Welcome back to the trail CD.

Interesting reading your thoughts on your experience demoing a fat bike. I haven't ridden one myself but the reviews are read are usually pretty favorable, but there certainly are those that found it wasn't for them. I think 27.5 plus is a really interesting size and one I want to keep an eye on for my next ride.

cmh

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
So I've answered the question in my mind and learned that a Fatbike just is not for me.  Maybe I will try a 27.5+ or 29+ sometime in the future.

Yeah, I got the Motobecane so I could try out the fad first-hand, and yeah, it's pretty much a fad. I like my Motobecane - especially the best name ever put on a bike - Boris the Evil Brute Sprung - but it's nothing magical. Sucks in deep snow like my 29er. Once I learned how to ride it in corners, I was having a bunch of fun on it. I found that you really have to TELL it to go around the corner, it's a physical thing involving quite a bit of input. Feels great when you get used to it, but you get done with the ride and look at your times, and ... well, at least you were having fun while going that slow. :D

I'm nearing the point of pulling the trigger on my first Chiner frame and it's looking a whole bunch like it'll be an 036 full sus. That is, unless I find the $6-10k for the Specialized Epic laying in a shoebox somewhere. :o

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
cmh, I think it might be a bit of a fad, however there is no denying the ride quality you get from those big tires.  I found myself looking for roots and rocks to roll over, which is good because I doubt I'd be able to bunny hop a Fatbike very well.

My IP-036 has become my more favorite of my two Chiners, my IP-057 gets an occasional ride but the IP-036 with its FS is my go to bike.  Thinking my next upgrade will be some wide-isn carbon wheels.  My lightweight DT Swiss wheels are just not strong enough to take the abuse they are getting given my trails and my 200+ weight.  I may just order the hoops and have a local wheel builder swap over my hubs to the new rims (with new spokes & nipples most likely).

Next demo day I will definitely try to score a ride on a 27.5+ or 29+ bike to see if that is the better balance of fat tire and lighter weight.

I've not found a magic shoe box in my house either, however, I wouldn't mind at least riding an Epic 29er for a few days.  I had a 26er for several years and it served me well.  However, recent reviews I've read is the Epic has fallen a bit behind some of the other FS designs and one bike mag said they liked it better with the Brain Shock Fully open, no auto-lockout.  My IP-036 might be just as good these days, it's hard to say for sure but like you said, I just don't have $6k-$9k laying around.  However, there are some decent deal on eBay for some slightly used Epic bikes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:15:24 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
cmh, I think it might be a bit of a fad, however there is no denying the ride quality you get from those big tires.  I found myself looking for roots and rocks to roll over, which is good because I doubt I'd be able to bunny hop a Fatbike very well.

My IP-036 has become my more favorite of my two Chiners, my IP-057 gets an occasional ride but the IP-036 with its FS is my go to bike.  Thinking my next upgrade will be some wide-isn carbon wheels.  My lightweight DT Swiss wheels are just not strong enough to take the abuse they are getting given my trails and my 200+ weight.  I may just order the hoops and have a local wheel builder swap over my hubs to the new rims (with new spokes & nipples most likely).

Next demo day I will definitely try to score a ride on a 27.5+ or 29+ bike to see if that is the better balance of fat tire and lighter weight.

I've not found a magic shoe box in my house either, however, I wouldn't mind at least riding an Epic 29er for a few days.  I had a 26er for several years and it served me well.  However, recent reviews I've read is the Epic has fallen a bit behind some of the other FS designs and one bike mag said they liked it better with the Brain Shock Fully open, no auto-lockout.  My IP-036 might be just as good these days, it's hard to say for sure but like you said, I just don't have $6k-$9k laying around.  However, there are some decent deal on eBay for some slightly used Epic bikes.

I should have taken notes on how that Epic I demo'd was set up, because it was goddamned perfect. Felt exactly like a hardtail jamming out of the saddle on smooth trails, and the short 95mm of rear travel felt just right over the not terribly rough stuff. Didn't have a chance to ride it in really technical trails, but I was totally sold. I think the Brain was for real and wouldn't have opened it up.

Biggest thing I realized was the longer top tube and how much better it fit me. I see that the 036 comes in a 21" which isn't quite as long as the Epic but close. Might have to sell off a bike or two to fund the 036.

Rode the fat bike yesterday - didn't help that I forgot my bike shoes so had to pull out the flat pedals (I keep a set in the car) and ride in docksiders, which was ... strange. The handling was really strange as well. Was brutal hot and the ride was shitty so it might be a little while before I'm eager to try the fat bike again. :D