Author Topic: cycling computers  (Read 3363 times)

byrt

cycling computers
« on: July 12, 2015, 05:16:11 AM »
Hi Everyone
How many of you have or use cycling computers? Im contemplating in getting a Garmin 510.
Thanks

carbonazza

Re: cycling computers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:11:12 AM »
I put my phone on the stem.
In a simple AliExpress splash/shock-proof bag( an iPhone 6 )

Getting the 20% battery warning after about 4:30h( wifi, bluetooth, and 3G and all useless apps turned off).
Sometimes I use a Bluetooth heart rate monitor to check how I fare on my weekly rides(2-3h) too.
Adding a 3500mAh Verbatim power pack that for 65g/25€, can more than double the time when needed.

The app I use for nav is ViewRanger, it is free, and allows an offline load of the maps.
It gets better at each release.

Then Strava+HRM if I need just to record my ride. It is extremely battery efficient.

Recently I was lost and used Google maps in bike mode, ending at 80% battery after an hour(this was not the case before).

When a better(design, gps, glonass,...) rugged Android comes to market.
I'll probably switch and get rid of the bag, as the touch through the plastic membrane is not optimal(my only complaint of this setup).

I think mobiles and software are good enough today for nav and ride recording, than having an additional device(I take my phone with me in case of emergency anyway).

velofranner

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
I have a Mio Cyclo 305 HC. It is not as popular as Garmin, but I like it and I have used it for about two years now.

The Mio Cyclo 505 HC model is also quite cheap some places in Europe, and it is better :)

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:38:37 PM »
I have a Garmin 305 watch. I like that better than a "cycling GPS" because I can use it for running and biking, or anything else like skiing, kayaking. 5-6 years old so I'm sure there's a newer model. It has all the features you could possibly want.
Much more accurate than using my phone with Strava. I noticed a friend who always used his phone on a VERY twisty trail system would come up 1.5 to 2 miles short of the actual mileage. Once he switched to a Garmin watch he was on target.
Phone would be good enough for a road ride but anything with a lot of quick turns and you will loose detail.
I've used mine when I forget my watch and it comes up a bit short also but it works in a pinch.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:48:08 PM by trekcarbonboy »

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »
In some apps, you have the option to decide the frequency at which it checks the GPS position.
ViewRanger had it at a minute or two by default. I've set it to 30 sec now.
And it gives comparable results to my friends' Garmin 800 or 1000

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
30 seconds is a big gap on a twisty mtb trail. You could be 10 turns down the trail between pings. You need that set at a max of 2 seconds.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
My mistake.
After checking better ViewRanger settings, the current version has what they call "continuous mode" for GPS positioning.
The 2 minutes/30 sec I mentioned was from an early release I guess.