Author Topic: IP036 Main Pivot - metal on carbon  (Read 3699 times)

li_bassman

IP036 Main Pivot - metal on carbon
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
I just got done with a IP036 build and am working out the kinks.

While fixing a creek I noticed that I have some wear on my main pivot.  This is the pivot that is above the bottom bracket.

There is metal on the frame part that rubs directly on the triangle which is carbon. The metal is grooving the carbon triangle.

Is this the design?  If so how does this not wear out over time. It is already grooved and I have less than 100 hours in it.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP036 Main Pivot - metal on carbon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
I've not taken apart my IP-036 pivots since building it, probably have around 100 hours on the bike.  Not sure what to think about the wear other than everything wears out eventually.  I figure if I get 3 years out of the frame I'll be doing well.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
I just got done with a IP036 build and am working out the kinks.

While fixing a creek I noticed that I have some wear on my main pivot.  This is the pivot that is above the bottom bracket.

There is metal on the frame part that rubs directly on the triangle which is carbon. The metal is grooving the carbon triangle.

Is this the design?  If so how does this not wear out over time. It is already grooved and I have less than 100 hours in it.

Do you have any larger versions of those photos? Those are pretty tiny - 320x240 - so it's hard to say. It almost looks like something's missing, like a small washer between the bearing and the metal part. My Trek Rumblefish has a similar main pivot, and there are two washers acting as spacers between the bearing inner race and the frame to make sure that the swingarm isn't rubbing on the frame like that. Not familiar with the 036 at all, though, so this is all guessing.

Vipassana

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
I'm with cmh on this; there should be a spacer in there.  The idea here is to have only the inner bearing race contacting the aluminum part of the frame.  The outer bearing race is in contact with the swing-arm.  If both the inner and outer races are only in contact with their respective parts, then the bearings are left for rotational motion, as they should be.  This might require a spacer to achieve contact between the inner race and the aluminum frame while keeping the outer race isolated to the swing arm. 

This is how I think it is supposed to be configured.

Does you frame have a sleeve that passes completely through the frame and bearing and the pivot bolt passes through that sleeve or bolts into it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:11:57 PM by Vipassana »

li_bassman

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
Thanks guys

I talked with Peter from CarbonSpeed and he stated the factory confirmed that the metal does indeed go against the triangle pivot.

Seems like it will wear out over time though.

I'll probably add a washer in the future there - I had to put the bike back together bc I am racing the next 4 weeks. 

Any idea where I can get Teflon washers for this?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:08:04 PM »
You should be able to find what you need at www.mcmaster.com
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Oolak

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:36 PM »
It seems if somebody would import about ten of these frames at a time.. find a deal on bulk shocks and add a shock, then swap out bearings, do an overall quality check and assurance, and then sell them for say $800 then they'd have themselves a pretty viable business on their hands.

Of course I may be missing some vital info/cost that would disrupt the whole thing but on the surface it seems like a homerun.

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:25:04 AM »
I was so excited by mcmaster.com, until finding out they do not sell outside the US, what a disappointment

Anyone know a similar shop around here ?
There doesn't seem to have any :(

cmh

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:58:33 AM »
I was so excited by mcmaster.com, until finding out they do not sell outside the US, what a disappointment

Anyone know a similar shop around here ?
There doesn't seem to have any :(
'
'
Oh, man, bummer. McMaster is a fantastic resource. Another one based in the US is Grainger - but they might not sell outside the US, either.

Did a little searching for a non-US alternative to McMaster and found posts confirming what you're saying, but folks are just complaining about it, not offering options.  >:(

Aha - this looks like it might be promising for you: http://www.reddit.com/r/engineering/comments/1v6szd/european_mcmastercarr/

Quote from: li_bassman
the factory confirmed that the metal does indeed go against the triangle pivot.

That seems really strange. Carbon's not real good at enduring wear like that. Check out Vipassana's awesome diagram (did you put those together or find them somewhere?) and I'd say see if you can find a washer like the one in the lower diagram. Getting that little bit of space between the swingarm carbon and the metal of the pivot housing would be a better approach than trying to get something between them like a piece of teflon.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
cmh, Thank you for comforting me :)