Author Topic: Maintenance Reminder  (Read 3486 times)

325racer

Maintenance Reminder
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »
Remember to check your brake pads.  Unlike in the old days with rim brakes your disc pads aren't easily visible.

I bring this up because on a recent ride I just touched metal on my rears about 1/2 way through my ride.  While I was able to ride back with no issues, it made for a much slower pace.

Don't mind the damage in the middle, that was from the screwdriver spreading the pads to push the pistons back in.

Also remember to top of your tire sealant if your running tubeless.  I was do for a new tire anyway, but wanted to get 30 more miles.  I changed it now because it wasn't holding air overnight anymore, so decided to change the tire instead of adding more sealant.

Inside of tire using Orange Seal

I pealed out the old stuff for the hell of it and it pretty much came out in one giant piece.  But it was in there good.

Gratuitous used vs new tire pictures.

While I was at it, I pulled the chain for a thorough Solvent cleaning, washed and waxed the whole bike.

Not the highest overall mileage, but this is after just shy of 500 miles.  Overall everything looks good and there are no issues with the rest of the bike.

MTB2223

Re: Maintenance Reminder
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:42:23 AM »
That's why I've always got a half used spare set of brake pads with me.
But I regularly check the brake pads, because I don't like these kind of surprises.
Always got my small multi tool with me, a spare tyre (I'm riding tubeless), small pump and a power link.

Thanks for the reminder. It always good to check a extra time.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:56:25 AM »
Checked! Thanks for the reminder.

To put the pistons back, when the pads are still good.
You can press with the screwdriver the metal part of the opposite pad( without the disc in the middle : ) while caring to not touch the pistons on that side.

Or my preferred way, remove the pads, and push between the pistons a slightly triangular piece of wood.
The more you push, the wider the wood, this put them back with no efforts.

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
To put the pistons back, when the pads are still good.
You can press with the screwdriver the metal part of the opposite pad( without the disc in the middle : ) while caring to not touch the pistons on that side.
Forgot to mention: also got one tire lever with me. Can use this also to put the pistons back.

cmh

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
Good reminder about disc pads. I have two sets of brand new pads in the toolbox in the Element for her bike. Mine, I've got a collection of pads in various states of wear. :)

I think you may have gotten your money's worth out of those old tires! Almost looks like an old-school semi-slick.

Orange Seal seems to dry out as fast as Stan's, but it makes that skin vs. the Stanimal. Have now pulled the skin out of two tires in one giant piece, it's mildly entertaining, but yeah, keep on top of your sealant. Usually a tire shake should be met with the sound of at least *some* sloshing. I but Stan's in quart jugs, and refill the little 2oz bottles because they're the perfect size for injecting through the valve after removing the valve core. Don't bother with the syringe, it's too much work.