Author Topic: Leadville 2015 - Chiner Edition  (Read 12102 times)

Vipassana

Leadville 2015 - Chiner Edition
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
I know this should probably go in the Ride Containment thread, but I think Leadville is perhaps a bit different than normal rides.

I rode the Leadville LT100 this past weekend and I finished.

It was very hard; easily the most mentally and physically draining thing I've ever had to endure on a bike, but I felt good and never fell into a bad atitude.  I train at ~1800 ft, sometime as high as 8000 ft.  I've done 100 mile rides with >12,000 ft of elevation gain.  This race made all of that look like child's play.  This race occurs between 10,200 to 12,600 ft, with something like 11,000 ft of elevation gain. 

I finished in 11:01 (actual ride time of ~10:38).  Fortunately, no crashes, mechanicals, or poor weather.  I nailed my nutrition and actually finished stronger than I started.  I dominated a couple of the climbs compared to other riders with me (but nothing compared to the Pros there that day!)  I was not prepared for the amount of traffic there was on the course which caused a lot of slowing on the start and at the summit of Columbine. 

The crowds, fans, and support crews were the best I've ever encountered and the whole event was the best experience I've ever had on a bike and probably ever in general.  I rode with a friend (though we ended up separated) and we were supported at the aid stations by our SOs that did an amazing job of following us and attending to our needs.

The whole event was surreal.  Both painful and rewarding.  The sense of accomplishment I felt crossing that finish line is completely unrivaled.  I finished off the night with beer and pizza in a hot tub.  Good times.

I would recommend that everyone try this race at some point in their life.

A shot from the pre-race meeting. There were some neat speakers and various causes that were there to raise money or achieve goals.  The Leadville race series brings a lot of money to the town of Leadville and actually provided scholarships for higher education to every high school senior that graduates.  In a town that was decimated by the big mines closing, this is a big deal.  Ken, the founder of the race, spoke and it was neat.  He's a very neat character who wants nothing but your best and lets you know that.

The city of Leadville; its a great time of year to be in CO:

The downtown area is filled with vendors and sponsors for the weekend:

SRAM was out with all their cool new tech.  They were giving free cleanings and tune-ups to anyone with a SRAM drivetrain.  You didn't hear it from me, but a 10 to 44T XX1/X01 cassette is in the works...

At the starting line at ~6:25 waiting for the gun to go off.  It started clear and brisk at ~45 degrees.  We ride down into some fog as we left Leadville.  The start is chaos with something like 2000 riders:

Me at the 50 mile mark at the top of Columbine (~12,600 ft).  This is the halfway/turn-around point with an aid station.  The views were incredible.

Aid bags at the top of Columbine. Dat view...:

Other riders.  This was at about 6:00:00 into the race:

Us (mere mortal riders) coming in and going.  The Pros had come and gone hours ago.

Some race pictures:

Almost everyone walks at some point; traffic, elevation, fatigue dictate it.  No shame.:

At the finish line, I sprinted home:

The bike weighed at least 60 lbs in this picture... or so it felt:

My buddy and I.  He finished 27 minutes ahead of me (10:38).  This is is second finish and shaved an hour off his previous time.  He crashed 3 times though and busted his finger up badly.

The trusty chinese bike that brought me there.  No real mechanical issues except for some sloppy shifting towards the end of the course.  The chinese saddle is finally, after a year and thousands of miles, starting to get some stress cracks in the plastic.  Not bad for $9.  No flats.  My air fork and tires were super stiff and the rocky sections beat me up badly.  I think this may be due to the elevation screwing with my pressures?  At least that's what I was told.  Also my rear brakes were the slightest bit soft probably due to an air bubble in the line.  Again, elevation may have played a roll.  Without changing a thing, the bike already feels different back here at ~1200 ft in Phoenix.

Us with all of our swag.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:08:59 AM by Vipassana »

Vipassana

Re: Leadville 2015 - Chiner Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
According to my GPS, the total elevation gain for Leadville is 12,083 ft over 103.7 miles.

Here was my HR profile for the ride:

I really started pushing at the end to finish strong.  HR data reflects that.  I rode pretty conservatively otherwise to avoid blowing up and to avoid crashes.  I would ride harder next time, especially in the beginning.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:54:31 PM by Vipassana »

Vipassana

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Oh, and I had an issue on the trip to Leadville with the bike... the exhaust on my wife's Accord is a straight tip and it melted my carbon rim while climbing into the mountains.  Ouch.  Thankfully I brought a second set of backup wheels identical to my first set (borrowed from a friend)!  I ended up moving the bike to the further back spot on the rack and then replacing the wife's exhaust pipe cover with an angled one from Autozone.  Temporary of course.

The straight tip, coupled with high RPM into the mountains seems to have melted the resin which then caused the fibers to buckle under the stress exerted by the spokes.  The tire lost it's bead and deflated.

The temporary fix.  :lol: :

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
Good stuff. Nice write up. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
You aren't the first person to melt a carbon wheel because of hot exhaust, mine was in traffic.  I've since changed bike racks.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

325racer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
That's awesome!  I couldn't even think about doing that in my current conditioning!

Vipassana

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  Reading this post now, I realize I'm bragging quite a bit.  Sorry for that, I'm just super pumped about the finishing as I trained for 9+ months for this; hours of bike time a week for weeks on end.

I spotted one other confirmed Chinese carbon build out there, an 057 build.  He finished the race as well.

The vast majority of bikes were very high-end carbon rigs.  There was an insane amount of S-Works bikes.  Bike eye candy everywhere.  I'm sold on Chinese carbon, but our paint jobs and graphics have nothing on the big guys.

Patrick C.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »
I'd be bragging too.  At the finish I probably would have told everyone that I built it for half the cost of a name brand frame, along with other delirious ramblings.

Do you have an easy estimate of how much you rode each week, and how many long rides you did?  I doubt I'll ever try anything like Leadville, just interested in how much time it takes to prepare.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  Reading this post now, I realize I'm bragging quite a bit.  Sorry for that, I'm just super pumped about the finishing as I trained for 9+ months for this; hours of bike time a week for weeks on end.

I spotted one other confirmed Chinese carbon build out there, an 057 build.  He finished the race as well.

The vast majority of bikes were very high-end carbon rigs.  There was an insane amount of S-Works bikes.  Bike eye candy everywhere.  I'm sold on Chinese carbon, but our paint jobs and graphics have nothing on the big guys.

Granted the paint isn't always the best.  It's very good on my 057, not quite as good on my 036.  If I had it to do again, I would just have the vendor do a metallic base coat and gloss top coat over the entire frame rather than trying to only paint some areas to show off the carbon weave.  I find the biggest difference between my frame and the big brands is the paint finish though.  If the Chinese Direct Vendors ever start producing frame with that high level of finish, more people would flock to the $400 carbon frames.

BTW, brag all you want, you deserve it!  Anyone who rides that race is tops in my book.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:00:03 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and agree that you can go right ahead and brag. Awesome job! Great photos, too.

RS VR6

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Congrats on the buckle! Not an easy feat!

325racer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
Dude, it's not bragging at all.  If I rode and finished that I'd be posting that everywhere!

But speak for yourself on the paint jobs!!!

Zipper

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 12:30:14 AM »
Congrats man! Good write up too. That is no easy feat, so go put that buckle on the mantle!

byrt

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »
Well done!!

seahog32

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »
Belated congrats and thank you for all the valuable info. The only thing that I find to be missing is how much time if any did you take for the altitude aclimatization. I'll be riding Leadville this year in 10 days from today. I am superpumped mentally, switching between profound doubts and sheer euforia several times a day. Hell I hate waiting! I wish I was already there riding!