Author Topic: CS-092SL disc brake road bike build  (Read 27052 times)

Joelk

Re: CS-092SL disc brake road bike build
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
Yes, I ordered the headset through Peter.  I forget the exact cost, but it was quite inexpensive.  Between the low cost and others good luck with Peter's headsets I figured it was worth it.  It can always be easily replaced later if I am not happy with it.

Joelk

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
I am VERY pleased with Hope as they were great to deal with when I called two days ago about 12mm endcaps, even when my credit card company was being a pain. But even more impressive is that the endcaps I thought would be hard to get arrived at my house today! 

Joelk

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »
Carbonazza, I am sorry it has taken me so long to get these, admittedly poor, pictures of the wheel build process posted.  For a lot more useful information I must suggest that you check out Roger Musson's wheelbuilding book: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Gathering the parts.

I use an old can top to oil the nipples, and I coat the threads of the spokes with Wheelsmith spoke prep (kind of a combination of Locktite and Teflon pipe tape, to help keep the nipples from loosening but easy to true if needed).

First set of spokes installed.

Second set on the other side.

First set of crossing spokes (2 cross in this case).

Second set of crossing spokes.

At this point the wheel goes on the truing stand for tensioning and truing.  Unfortunately I got distracted by what I was doing and forgot to take any pictures.

I know this is very cursory coverage of the process, so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

carbonazza

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »
Thank you for the pictures, they give me the impression it is doable.

I had the best intentions to take many detailed pictures when building my bike.
But after a while, I felt too much into it, forgot, and the bike was mounted  ::)

cmh

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »
First set of crossing spokes (2 cross in this case)

Why only 2 cross for a 32 spoke wheel?  It'll work, but there's no reason I can think of to not go with 3x in that setup.

Joelk

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 05:45:09 PM »
I have played with 2x and 3x 32 hole wheels and I like the 2x a little better. 

A while back I was doing some reading and saw that in theory 2x is slightly stiffer laterally, but less so torsionally.  I had a frame where a 2.35 tire on a 3x 30mm id rim would rub occasionaly so, as I was going to build another set of wheels anyway, I decided to try the same setup laxed 2x and see what happened.  Same exact tire and bike, same brand and model hubs, spokes, and rims and no more rub.

Consequently I went 2x on this wheelset as I want to minimize the chance of tire rub when I try 28mm tires.

zzh8829

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 03:04:58 AM »
any updates on the bike? I would love to see some pictures  8)

Joelk

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
The frame was shipped last week, should be here soon!

Joelk

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
Received the frame, fork, seatpost, bars, and bottle cages!  Everything came packed very well, and was in good condition.

I am very happy with the quality of everything!

Weights:
Frame 971 with guide tubing still in place
Fork 383 with guide tubing still in place (yes, the front brake line goes through the fork leg)
Seatpost 213
Bars (B6 style) 194
Bottle cages 22 and 23

The only problem is that Peter does not have the 12mm front axles yet. 
I will start building what I can, but the axle may hold me up.

I test fit my wheels with 25mm Schwalbe Pro One tires, which on the 17.5mm inside width rims measure 28mm wide, and they have plenty of room in the seatstays, chainstays, and fork.  The closest they come is at the seat tube with about 2-3mm clearance.  28mm tires on these rims would fit widthwise, but may rub the seat tube if they are much taller that the 25s.

cmh

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
That's a damn clean looking frame. Looking forward to seeing the build!

rvc

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
Very nice looking build! Happy to see that you built the wheels yourself too.

Keep us posted.

aldsfkjw3421

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
Looking good!  Can't wait to see it built.

Joelk

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2015, 12:35:24 AM »
The bike is at about the 80% point.  I am loving this frame so far.  The rear brake and derailleur have full plastic internal tubing, large enough for the full rear hydraulic brake line, but only the rear shift cable, no housing.  The frame comes with removable guide tubing for the front derailleur and the front brake, which goes very cleanly through the left fork leg.

I have been emailing with Peter about the front axle issue, and he is going above and beyond to get me the correct front axle.  In the meantime I have given a Shimano 142x12 rear axle to a machinist friend of mine to make a temporary front axle.

I hope to go for a test ride later this week, with pictures and thoughts/comments.

martink

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 05:13:11 AM »
Hi Joelk,

I also ordered my CS-092-SL frame (size 54) with coresponding axles from Peter.
It looks very promising.

Do you think there is enough clearance für 30mm spike-tires?
For Example this one:
http://45nrth.com/products/tires/xerxes

This is not a must, but it would be very practical for winter.

Thanks!

Joelk

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »
There is pretty good clearance in the front, the rear has pretty good clearance side to side.  However, the rear tire gets quite close to the seat tube, that will be the limiting factor. 

I measure approximately 35mm width in the front fork and seatstays/chainstays.

Here are some pictures with 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones mounted on 17.5 internal width rims.  On these rims the tires measure 28mm wide.  With these tires there is only about 2-2.5mm clearance between the tire and the seat tube.

Build progress is currently at a standstill while I await my machinist modifying my temporary front axle (cutting down a Shimano rear axle)/wait for Peter to ship the correct front axle.