Author Topic: 1x7 drive train?  (Read 3234 times)

nick_n_ii

1x7 drive train?
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Has anyone built a 1x7 drive-train?  I do mostly trails mix of climbs and falls and rolling single track. I'm trying to spec my winter build and can't afford new wheels yet. But with getting a new frame, crank and BB are in order. SO I'm thinking build it as a 1x7. 1 on the new crank (32tooth, same as I use most often now). And the 7 on my current rear wheel. It's a freewheel that was on my Meijer bought Mongoose. Frame, wheels and BB are all that are left on it that where on it new. It started life as a 29er Impasse HD.

Any thoughts on this idea?

cmh

Re: 1x7 drive train?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »
Has anyone built a 1x7 drive-train?  I do mostly trails mix of climbs and falls and rolling single track. I'm trying to spec my winter build and can't afford new wheels yet. But with getting a new frame, crank and BB are in order. SO I'm thinking build it as a 1x7. 1 on the new crank (32tooth, same as I use most often now). And the 7 on my current rear wheel. It's a freewheel that was on my Meijer bought Mongoose. Frame, wheels and BB are all that are left on it that where on it new. It started life as a 29er Impasse HD.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I ran a 1x6 with gears from a Shimano 9-speed cassette on a Hope singlespeed cassette hub for quite a while. If I remember right, it gave me a range of 17 to 34 with a 32t chainring. It was like singlespeeding with more options.